Alcohol - two reasons not to drink?

Options
1235»

Replies

• kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Staying true to my Wisconsin habits, I drink on regular basis. Weekends definitely, some weeknights when I feel like it. I love plain vodka and diet coke together or cucumber vodka on the rocks, if dry wine was a person I'd marry it. I lost 30 lbs and have maintained since while never ceasing my drinking habits. To each their own.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Alcohol affects everyone differently. Sounds like you might be one of those who it affects adversely.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have no self control over food when I drink heavily! My Saturday nights about 2 years ago looked like this..... eat only salad all day so I could feel skinny when I went out, drink to excess, Del Taco pig out at 2am. So glad I dont have those nights any more!
  • Searley_Pants
    Searley_Pants Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have no self control over food when I drink heavily! My Saturday nights about 2 years ago looked like this..... eat only salad all day so I could feel skinny when I went out, drink to excess, Del Taco pig out at 2am. So glad I dont have those nights any more!

I used to spend my weekends eating nothing at all during the days, and sometimes the nights, only ever eating a kebab or something and drinking copious amounts, not good!!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    This has been an absolutely eye-opening thread for me. Drinking has never made me want to eat, and the fact that it does affect people differently is foreign to me. Drinking, does, however, when enough alcohol is consumed, make me think that I know how to dance, and that’s pretty bad, too. :laugh:

Searley_Pants, what a great thread. Thank you! I honestly didn’t know this.
  • Searley_Pants
    Options
    Searley_Pants, what a great thread. Thank you! I honestly didn’t know this.

:D
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Reason 1: Makes me fat

Reason 2: makes me fatter with a hangover that causes me to eat me out of house and home
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have 10 years clean and sober, and my life has never been better. Anyone who might think they want to talk about can contact me.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    1. It's poison
    2. You don't *need* it to be happy. If you do, you've got other issues you should probably address.

Poison is LEGAL?!?!? Oh crap. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet!

Of course poison is legal. As long as they sell it in small doses. Cigarettes, alcohol, all the persertives that are in our foods. like anything as long as you use moderation your body can handle it. People can drink them selves to death, you clearly have more control than them.
  • Searley_Pants
    Options
    I have had alcohol poisoning many a time, so surely it must be poison haha
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i don't know if i'd equate alcohol to poison, but i can certainly see the correlation. it is a deadly substance that is legal and readily available, like cigarettes.

alcohol - beer, wine, liquor - serves no health benefit. the supposed health benefits in red wine are antioxidants and resveratrol. and we'd need to drink BUCKETS of red wine to get the benefits of resveratrol (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089). they are empty calories that serve no purpose other than filling us up and making us drunk.

in addition, alcohol affects almost everything in your body. it affects your brain and nervous system. it affects your liver function. it affects your respiratory system. heck, it affects how your body absorbs medication.

i don't believe in drinking alcohol in moderation because there is no positive to drinking alcohol, unless one thinks being drunk and losing inhibitions is 'positive'. if you drink while taking protein or creatine supplements, it can overtax your liver and potentially lead to alcohol poisoning. if you take time-release medication, alcohol dissolves the time-release coating, releasing all of the medication into your system at once. if you drink alcohol mixed with other drugs or stimulants - like energy drinks - you can die. i'd much rather spend the calories on a couple of rolos, some frozen yogurt, or ice cream.

most of us here to lose weight, some of us are here to gain weight or muscle. but ultimately we're all looking for a healthier lifestyle. imho, alcohol doesn't serve any purpose in a healthy lifestyle.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    i'd much rather spend the calories on a couple of rolos, some frozen yogurt, or ice cream.
    Please, tell me how rolos contribute to a healthy lifestyle? Or how they serve a purpose in a healthy lifestyle.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Court dates and overeating!!!! lol
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    beer contains silica which strengthens bones and wine contains stuff that is good for your heart. I am just sayin:)
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I drink way less now than I did. A typical lonely college weekend would be those sickeningly sweet wine coolers, with chips or candy on the side. I must have walked more than I realized in those days, because I was smaller than I am now. I don't drink much now because of calories. I generally dnk only when out to dinner and those giant, sugared drinks that I love can have 350 calories! I can't spend a quarter of my day's food allotment on one glass of boozy sugar water.

For Lent, I am giving up unnecessary spending, and that includes buying alcohol, so I won't be having more than a glass a week, since I have just about a bottle of wine to my name.
  • swishandflick
    Options
    Booze is awesome. I'm making myself cut down on alcohol consumption, last week starting with just 2 glasses of wine a week.

Since it's been a rough week for me, I'm having a bottle of wine tomorrow even if I have to eat nothing for dinner to do it. For me, there's no joy to dieting/working out. It's no different from occasionally eating a cupcake or a slice of pizza.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just had the no booze conversation with myself. I drink a couple captain and diet coke drinks a night. I am still debating on cutting it out completely or just drink on weekends. I never get Drunk, maybe because my body at this point has a very high tolereance, which I suppose is also an issue.