The Low Carb Debate

Options
124»

Replies

• rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree on the cravings, especially alcohol and sugar. When I started eating low carb, I thought bread, pasta and rice would be my problem...not sugar and alcohol. Oh, how my body proved me wrong. I still have those things on occasion (I try to keep to the 80/20 rule), but if I feel my diet getting out of control, I'll cut them off for a couple of weeks until I'm back on track. I still have fruit, vegetables, yogurt, cream in my coffee and lots of protein and vegetables, and even cheese which keeps me at about ~ 50 to 100 carbs a day. I forgot to get fruit this past weekend, though and the past couple of days feel like I may be going into ketosis... so I've been having a spoon of peanut butter or something like that.
  • jaiart
    Options
    Low Carb / High Protein is your best bet. Cut out the simple carbs like sugar and flour. Eat complex carbs and high protein. Most important is to MOVE... Those feet were made for walking, so go for a walk, run, hike, etc... and drink plenty of water, cut out soda's and juices too.

The reason it does work is because it puts you in a state of ketosis where your body is burning it's fat supply. You can buy the ketostix from the pharmacy and see for yourself.

check out www.atkinsdietgeek.com and see for yourself.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Actually, there are multiple studies that suggest (but don't prove), that weight loss on a low carb diet can be greater than other choices for most people. The problem I have with very low carb diets such as what the OP is suggesting is that they are rarely sustainable. Most people just can't continue to eat that way long term.

This pretty much matches my own experience, by the way. I lost A LOT of weight a few years ago almost effortlessly eating low carb, but eventually it just became too hard to maintain and I ended up gaining it all back and then some. While I try to watch my refined carb intake now, I'll never go back to eating that way again. I'd rather lose slowly and keep it gone forever, instead of lose it quickly, just to gain it back.

This ^^
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump