Just broke up. ...feeling my motivation slipping away.

Options
My boyfriend and I just broke up, like literally, within the hour, and I can already feel my will to push forward weakening. This morning I was looking forward to going for a run after work, and doing some lifting. ...now I just kind of want to go home and go to sleep. I could use some help from someone who has gone through this before. How did you keep from losing your motivation? I can only imagine my desire to do some emotional eating will crop up soon too. I've been completely on track for a month. Eff.

Replies

• runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I just broke up, like literally, within the hour, and I can already feel my will to push forward weakening. This morning I was looking forward to going for a run after work, and doing some lifting. ...now I just kind of want to go home and go to sleep. I could use some help from someone who has gone through this before. How did you keep from losing your motivation? I can only imagine my desire to do some emotional eating will crop up soon too. I've been completely on track for a month. Eff.

Been there, done that! Fall 2011, I was at my lowest weight ever, and could've gotten used to keeping that body--then me and my boyfriend of 4+ years broke up, and I went into full-time party mode, all the time. Needless to say, I gained back some weight. What I wish I'd done was calmly reassess my priorities, but I can't blame myself for how I reacted, and I honestly look back on that fall with fondness, anyway. I would suggest trying to take today, or maybe the next few days, off, and getting back on the wagon after allowing yourself to be a grub for a little bit. It's gonna take some effort, but you can push through. (:
  • SallyMadonna33
    Options
    Think of that month and how proud of yourself you were! Don't let the EX ruin your progress! You deserve happiness and if he isn't the source of it, Good bye to him! I say get your butt out there and complete that run you planned on and imagine each step releasing anger. Running is a great way to clear your mind.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Use it as fuel..
    22002412_1681.jpg
  • Bowtieguy3
    Bowtieguy3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I actually used my breakups, and subsequent divorce, as more motivation to get in shape, work out, and lose weight... There is no better revenge than making yourself even better looking and healthier than they remember....

If you go exercise, remember the endorphin rush will help make you feel better. If your gym has a sauna/steam room/hot tub, take adventage of that and use it to relax and calm your nerves...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    There are two schools of thought here:

1] Go work out. Smash *kitten*. Run hard. Let the emotions drive you, and when you're done you will feel AMAZING.

2] Stop at the store, grab some ice cream, get in your jammies and watch a good movie while you cry and eat the whole tub. Emotions are important - we need to feel them and acknowledge them... if you don't take some time to 'cry it out' now, you'll need to eventually.

My personal choice would be to do 1 and then 2, and feel like a rock star in the morning.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It hurts and we all naturally feel like crawling into a warm bed with a bowl of devilish goodness to soothe us.

The only way not to do it is to keep on with your plans. Don't let this stop you. You are a powerful person with goals that you cannot wait to reach, so reach them and use the hurt to fuel your workout :) Run the feelings out, then lift the aggression of the loss.

You can do it!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kortney. I think you're entitled to do whatever you feel you need to do to get through.

Hell. Eat the ice-cream WHILE working out.

Grief is a necessary human emotion, but it sucks; you'll find out how to cope once you're over the initial rush.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    mQueEiZ.gif
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Step 1) Get really skinny and hot
    Step 2) When he asks to get back together say NO
    Step 3) Feel awesome!
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend of 2 years and I broke up recently too. I don't think I ate for 2 days because I was miserable. I stayed in bed and cried. It's terrible and hard, and I'm still sad to be honest. But I knew I had to pick myself back up and keep going because I was getting healthy for ME. I channeled my sadness into exercise and I really think that helped me get through it. Exercising helps keep the mind off of things like this. Now I'm even more committed to my weight loss. I'm seeing positive changes in my body and that makes me happier than any other person could right now. Stay strong!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    this is simply more reason for you to have double the motivation to move forward! i don't know the details of your break-up of course, but i have gone through similiar experiences in the past and used it to my advantage to better myself mentally and physically. keep your head high and your eyes on the prize! :flowerforyou:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

1] Go work out. Smash *kitten*. Run hard. Let the emotions drive you, and when you're done you will feel AMAZING.

2] Stop at the store, grab some ice cream, get in your jammies and watch a good movie while you cry and eat the whole tub. Emotions are important - we need to feel them and acknowledge them... if you don't take some time to 'cry it out' now, you'll need to eventually.

My personal choice would be to do 1 and then 2, and feel like a rock star in the morning.

This right here! I went through a pretty nasty break up recently. I kept up (as best as I could) with my workouts, kept up my nutrition BUT i did allow myself time to grieve, be angry and throw all his *kitten* out! (Bitter party of one, you're table is ready!).
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to take some time to mourn your loss if you need to; there's no shame in that.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So I recently went through the same thing, and I suggest that you evaluate the entire situation. Where you losing weight for him? If your answer is no, and I hope it is, then realize that your life goes on with or without him. You want to be the best person you can be for yourself! Either go into the run realizing that you are not going to have the same results as you had yesterday because you are not focused or use the anger and disappointment to drive you to have the best run ever!! Either way get out there and run for yourself girl!! P.S. It is okay to cry later....
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your breakup. I don't want to sound harsh, but why would you lose your motivation after your breakup? Were you doing this for him? If you're doing it for you, then KEEP doing it for you. You're going to experience ups and downs the rest of your life. Unless you want your weight to mirror those ups and downs, you've got to keep your feelings off the fork. I don't have a lot of advice for staying motivated to work out, because I struggle there even when I'm happy. But just find something you love and stick with it. Good luck!
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you're angry, take it out on the dumbbells, kettlebell, barbell... If you're sad exhaust yourself and pump your body full of endorphins - they're like your own personal happy pill.
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Remember how fabulous falling in love feels? Focus on preparing yourself for that...cuz you know your next love is just around the corner!! :flowerforyou:
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Go sleep with someone right away! ASAP, before he decides he made a huge mistake and wants to get back together.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Completely agree!!!!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Use it as fuel..
    22002412_1681.jpg

This! It's time to kick some *kitten* and take some names.