Giving up Wheat

Options
124»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Researchers took gut biopsies from celiac patients and asymptomatic controls (non-celiac). Five out of six asymptomatic controls showed elevated interleukin-15, a marker of innate immune activation, upon exposure to gliadin (one of the proteins that makes up gluten). An activated innate immune system (commonly called 'inflammation') is associated with a wide array of chronic diseases, from obesity to cancer to cardiovascular disease.

Except wheat causes less inflammation than rye in controls, and barley is pretty much benign to controls but in celiacs is just as bad as rye and wheat. I posted that study in some other thread, don't have time to dig it up now.

Just about all food has some amount of inflammation involved with it, but people with celiac disease are unique in that their zonulin regulation is out of whack, thus allowing much more to pass through the intestinal barrier, and this makes it /worse/.

Eat what you want, though. But for people who don't have celiac disease, they don't have to cut out wheat to be healthy, as long as they don't overeat whole grains to start with.

(this is assuming they don't have an allergy, which is a completely different thing to celiac disease!)

lol what does rye have to do with anything? did you even read what you quoted? the issue is that most americans DO overeat when it comes to grains. No you don't have to cut them out completely, but reducing them is something all people really should consider. (and by consider, I mean read the sources, find the facts, and decide whether or not you buy it - and act accordingly)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    An interesting article in the NY times today

Personally I think that unless you have a gluten sensitivity it's just another fad diet that will pass with time

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/gluten-free-whether-you-need-it-or-not/?ref=health

lol just like low carb right? that one sure hasn't disappeared even though it's not particularly useful...
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    lol what does rye have to do with anything?

facepalm... wheat isn't the only thing that causes these reactions, you know. I guess you don't know. Alright, I'm telling you. Celiac disease is not a problem with wheat alone, its a problem with the gliadin fraction of gluten, which is in almost all of the Triticeae tribe, of which rye, wheat, triticale (hybrid of rye and wheat), and barley are all members.

Something is different about barley, I don't know what, but it doesn't cause the same issues in controls as rye and wheat. Also, it's notable that the level of inflammation of rye is marginally higher than it is for wheat in controls, but effectively similar for celiacs (slightly higher for rye but within margins of error) While wheat is the most intensively bred of the three, it's not the worst offender for inflammation in control subjects.

Not overeating seems to be sensible advice for any food stuff, not just grains. There are ways to make grains more digestible too, for people who are not celiac. Fermentation, soaking, and cooking pretty much eliminates most of the issues people have with them. Foods like pasta aren't treated in this way, and they can cause bloating... not a huge surprise. So does cabbage, shrugs.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had to give up all that you listed because I am diabetic. All my labs are great now. Plus I have lost a few lbs =)
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I gave up wheat/gluten mid December due to an intolerance.

Since then I have finally started losing weight again (was in a plateau for about 12 months - last 5 kilos)

I feel so much better. More comfortable. Not bloated. More energy.

:-)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    No because I would simply die.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for a couple of years. I don't find it difficult, but I think that is because I like to cook and use very little (if any) packaged foods.

I actually gained a little weight when I gave it up. It was really affecting my stomach, and I would feel bloated and stuffed after eating food with wheat in it (I still do). I was so used to that feeling indicating that I was full that I've had to learn a whole new physical sensation for what full is.

So, it's no guarantee of weight loss. And many gluten free baked products rare full of fat and calories. I tend to avoid them, and pretty much try to eat protein and vegetables.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

lol what does rye have to do with anything? did you even read what you quoted? the issue is that most americans DO overeat when it comes to grains. No you don't have to cut them out completely, but reducing them is something all people really should consider. (and by consider, I mean read the sources, find the facts, and decide whether or not you buy it - and act accordingly)
    [/quote]

Overeating grains is one issue, but we are seeing so much gluten intolerance now because wheat has been genetically modified to have more gluten than it ever has. This is what is causing so many problems for people.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    lol what does rye have to do with anything?

facepalm... wheat isn't the only thing that causes these reactions, you know. I guess you don't know. Alright, I'm telling you. Celiac disease is not a problem with wheat alone, its a problem with the gliadin fraction of gluten, which is in almost all of the Triticeae tribe, of which rye, wheat, triticale (hybrid of rye and wheat), and barley are all members.

Something is different about barley, I don't know what, but it doesn't cause the same issues in controls as rye and wheat. Also, it's notable that the level of inflammation of rye is marginally higher than it is for wheat in controls, but effectively similar for celiacs (slightly higher for rye but within margins of error) While wheat is the most intensively bred of the three, it's not the worst offender for inflammation in control subjects.

yes, i understand all that, but i was under the impression we were talking about wheat - but fine, if we're talking about gliadin in general then I'll give it to you.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Overeating grains is one issue, but we are seeing so much gluten intolerance now because wheat has been genetically modified to have more gluten than it ever has. This is what is causing so many problems for people.

you're absolutely right.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I had no issues that represented Celiac disease.

Celiac disease can have no symptoms at all, and just be accidently found on a small bowel biopsy. FWIW, I had a high rheumatoid factor before I was diagnosed with CD. It's one of the blood work signs that's less commonly known.

Really? Interesting! I asked my doctor if she would test me for CD, but she said it was costly, invasive and probably wouldn't be covered by my insurance. Since I didn't have any of the common signs, I decided not to follow through. The RA factor lowering was all the proof I needed to tell me I can't tolerate gluten.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I have just started to attempt and eliminate wheat and flour. I made this decision after watching a video on youtube by LeanSecrets "Reasons to stop eating wheat". You could check it out. LeanSecrets (with Brenda Leigh Turner) is a great youtube channel.

I love Brenda Leigh Turner! We should start a group of people who eat by her principles!

Also, I started following her guidance, including cutting out wheat and flour, and the weight is melting off effortlessly. I feel better, it's only been 3 weeks and I'm down 10 pounds.

P.S. I'm Vegetarian too
    I LOVE Brenda-Leigh Turner! She totally inspired me! I'd say that I am now about 80% gluten free... trying to get to 100%!