What do you feed your Pets?

Options
I was just wondering what everyone feeds their pets?

I did some serious research on different foods brands and found out some wacky stuff! What pushed me to do this was my Diabetic dog and cat who has mammary cancer.

Before I was informed I was feeding them Beneful and Purina. (Terrible food)

Now my Dog is on Wellness Core and cats are eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

My cat with cancer is an inspiration to me. Shes being living with it almost a year now and she is doing so well with a healthier natural lifestyle.

Making sure my pets were as healthy as possible also helps me in becoming more healthier as well :)

Replies

• Suedoggroomer
    Options
    I was feeding my dogs Natural Balance, but I am in the process of switching them over to " I and Love and You". its a organic/raw diet all natural. They eat better the I do.
    Sue
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    we feed natural balance and raw when we can afford it at supper time if we could he would only eat raw food
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Nutro Ultra
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Merrick grain free - it has some of the best reviews... my pup has gluten allergy
  • TodayYesterday
    TodayYesterday Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fromm kibble (any variety) and Evo canned venison. High energy dogs - hard to keep weight on!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boxers. They eat Flint River Ranch ..trout and sweet potato blend
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Kirkland lamb, rice & veg. We used to feed them Orijen but feeding 130lbs worth of dogs was costing an arm and a leg.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Merrick grain free - it has some of the best reviews... my pup has gluten allergy

I also feed my dogs merricks grain free but they don't have allergies, it's just made with good stuff that's good for them.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I feed my dogs Orijen 6 Fish. http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/6fishdog.aspx I don't think anything compares to it--just amazing ingredients. All human grade. It is grain free and doesn't use any outsourced ingredients.

I also cook them a batch of grass-fed kosher beef with fresh veggies on weekends and feed them that throughout the week. I'm a vegetarian, so it's a little weird to do, but they love it and their coats are stunning.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    She gets Nutro Grain Free, and likes any flavor (but her favorite is the venison one). Since my oldest is severely allergic to dairy, and the both of us are gluten intolerant, I decided that she should be grain free too. Once I did research about what she should be eating, I knew it was a good choice. She's never sick, her coat looks great, and she turns her nose up at gluten foods :)
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Royal Canin Renal LP Modified. Low Protein food. One of my dogs has protein in her urine. It is a prescription food from vet. My other dog eats it too so that makes it easier.
  • kbutlerrvt
    Options
    As a Veterinary Technician, I can tell you what the best recommendations are. Wellness if FANTASTIC for your dog as it is one of the only companies that has a Veterinary Nutritionist on staff. For your cat, it is recommended that since cats are obligate carnivores, they should be on a high protein, low carbohydrate, low fat diet. The best way to achieve this is by feeding a canned food that does not contain Gluten. You can find this in brands like Weruva, Wellness, and Petguard. (More info can be found here: www.catinfo.org)
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    Taste of the Wild. They offer several different protien sources. I rotate quarterly.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my cat has diabetes and i researched and found there are 2 flavors of fancy feast that are excellent for diabetic cats (turkey & giblets and chicken) since they are pretty high in protein. for dry food i use wellness cat food which is also grain free. they also make wet food that's good for diabetic cats but my cat didnt seem to like it when i tried it.

once i get a food processor i plan on feeding her ground up meat as well.

for dogs i dont have one but i've seen lots of raw choices in whole foods
  • meliafairy
    meliafairy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My dog eats the Blue Buffalo food made for toy breed puppies.

Cats eat a mixture of royal canon dental plan and purinas pro plan food. Yeah I know there is a lot of junk in the purina.. even their high end food but my elderly cat cannot stomach anything else so vet wants me to keep feeding her that.
  • happyhouser
    Options
    We make homemade food. We will usually crock pot a chicken or a roast or even turkey, cook up some rice and mix them together, along with some kind of broth or gravy. It will last most of a week. We started making our own when I did some research about what actually goes into dog food. Now her fur is soft and silky and she actually was down four pounds at her last vet check up.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    friskies. I have tried so many brands of cat food & this is the only one they don't turn their noses up at
  • kbutlerrvt
    Options
    Taste of the Wild. They offer several different protien sources. I rotate quarterly.

Unfortunately TOTW only has one variety that is not an all life stages food. The front of the bag may say Adult but the back of the bag (which is what is regulated) will read that is for all life stages in the AAFCO statement. In order for a diet to be an all life stages food, it needs to meet the dietary needs of a puppy or kitten. Therefore it is puppy/kitten food which does not have the appropriate levels of nutrients for adult or senior pets.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    UPS men.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My dog eats Wellness Core. He's a rescue and came to me itchy and with a patchy coat - I figured he was allergic to something and decided to eliminate grains from his diet. He no longer itches like he did and has a beautiful coat.