Breakfast Ideas

Options

Replies

• ferrahcn
    Options
    I make a low calorie quiche with no crust and lots and lots of veggies in it... cut it up into portion size breakfasts and freeze them. So every evening I can take one out of the freezer and in the morning pop it the microwave and there ya go! YUMMY!!!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bump....I love breakfast food!
  • drhall1970
    Options
    Great suggestions. Thanks!
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bumpking!
  • drhall1970
    Options
    This recipe has made a smoothie lover out of me. http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/23539/strawberry-oatmeal-breakfast-smoothie

It's worth waking up 5 minutes earlier to make, and with a good travel cup, you can take it with you to drink on your way to wherever.

Sounds delicious!

Ingredients

1 cup soy milk

1/2 cup rolled oats

1 banana, broken into chunks

14 frozen strawberries

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
    Hide Checklist ×Adjust Servings
    Adjust Metric US
    Original recipe yields 2 servings
    ×Directions
    1.In a blender, combine soy milk, oats, banana and strawberries. Add vanilla and sugar if desired. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.
    Nutrition
    Amount Per Serving (2 total)

Calories
    236 cal
    k12%
    Fat
    3.7 g
    k6%
    Carbs
    44.9 g
    k14%
    Protein7.6 gk15%Cholesterol0 mgk0%Sodium65 mgk3%
    See More
  • Santerre1984
    Santerre1984 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love to add Cinnamon to my multi-grain cheerios in the morning...Yum
    And.....

1.1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower your bad cholesterol (or LDL).
    2.Cinnamon may help treat Type 2 Diabetes by lowering blood sugar levels and increasing the amount of insulin production in the body.
    3.Cinnamon has antifungal properties, and it's been said that candida cannot live in a cinnamon environment.
    4.Cinnamon can reduce the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
    5.Cinnamon has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.
    6.Honey and Cinnamon combined has been found to relieve arthritis pain.
    7.When added to food, cinnamon inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.
    8.Just smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.
    9.Cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.
    10.Cinnamon has been found to be an effective natural remedy for eliminating headaches and migraine relief.
    11.Cinnamon can also help stablize blood sugar (which is great for weight loss). A couple of dashes in your morning tea or cereal is all it takes!
  • i ear 80 grams of 100 percent rolled oats(oatmeal) and 2 scoops of whey protien to wash it down with
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • unicornlady77
    Options
    I make egg muffin bunch ahead and freeze them,
    100 calorie english muffin,one scrambled egg or egg whites for lower cals,slice of reduced fat cheese,and either a slice of canadian bacon or crumbled turkey sausage in the egg. yummy
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You could do an overnight oatmeal. Soak the oatmeal and whatever spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc) in a milk (dairy, soy, almond, etc) over night and add some fruit to it in the morning. You can warm it up in the morning too if you want but it's not necessary.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Egg muffin cups - they refrigerate and freeze very well. You could add/omit any ingredients you want I imagine.
    1 container egg whites
    2 eggs
    1 cup frozen chopped spinach
    1 cup frozen chopped broccoli
    1/4 cup feta
    1 roll of lean turkey breakfast sausage
    2 mushrooms chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray muffin tins with nonstick spray (I use canola oil spray)
    Brown turkey sausage, mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Parse out into muffin tins (mine made 15 muffins)
    Bake for 25-25 minutes depending on how done you like your muffins.

I usually pair these with an english muffin or another type of muffin like these:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/whole-wheat-oatmeal-raisin-muffins-10000001142029/ (sub applesauce for canola oil, add 1/4 cup chopped nuts)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/pumpkin-nut-muffins.html

Very easy grab and go! I also like refrigerator oats which others have mentioned.
  • pgrant0328
    pgrant0328 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Lots of overnight ideas for oatmeal. However...I buy the 100% whole grain quick oats...mix 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, add to it 1/2 teasp cinnamon & nutmeg; microwave it for 1.5 minutes; remove and add a little Mrs. Butterworth's sugar free syrup. Nice and tasty, keeps me going all morning and the whole process takes less than 3 minutes. If you prefer add fruit, sugar free jelly/jam, or peanut butter. FAST -- FILLING -- LOW CALORIES. :smile:
  • New416me
    New416me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a slice of 100% whole grain wheat toast spread with avocado (usually half a small one), salt and pepper, topped with a fried egg (fried in Pam spray of course). Really filling.

Would also go nice with poached poached egg.
  • New416me
    New416me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a slice of 100% whole grain wheat toast spread with avocado (usually half a small one), salt and pepper, topped with a fried egg (fried in Pam spray of course). Really filling.

OMG I am going to try this. Thanks :love:
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal

1.5 C mashed banana (3-4)
    2 eggs
    1/4 t vanilla
    3/4 t baking powder
    2 C milk
    2.5 C oats
    8 oz blueberries (can be frozen or fresh)

Preheat the oven to 375. Mash bananas, add eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Add milk. Then oats and blueberries (keep frozen and stir in last). Spray 8x8 baking dish with oil, pour in oat mixture, bake at 375 for 45 minutes until top is golden and center is no longer wet to the touch.

Serves 6, each serving has:
    310 calories
    60 carbs
    12 protein
    24 sugar

Sounds so yummy! I will have to try this
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Casserole:
    Egg Beaters
    Low Fat Cheese
    Vegetable
    Low Fat Sausage/Bacon

Mix all together and back in the ove at 350 for about 30-40 minutes. I make a big pan and have it for the week. Add some salsa on top and you have a healthy and filling breakfast.
  • LEStacey
    LEStacey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've made baggie omlets before but we throw the bags in a pot of boiling water. I've never put them in the microwave...will have to try it sometime! :)
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    multi-grain waffle and peanut butter. You can't get much quicker other than a piece of fruit

same with fat free cottage cheese, or greek yogurt.

Eggs with black beans (seriously fast, cook the egg, microwave the black beans, combine for super fiber/protein powerhouse)

You can check my diary for breakfast ideas on the weekdays that are fast and tasty
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    On the weekends, I make a batch of whole wheat pancakes and freeze them in packs of 2. II also precook turkey sausage links and freeze them in packs of two. I put a pack of eack in the fridge to thaw the night before. At work, I heat the pancakes in the toaster, the sausage in the microwave, and eat them with sugar free jelly. 332 calories. The pancake recipe can be found on Cooking Light.com
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I found a recipe for PROTEIN PANCAKES that actually taste good and are not much work. Here are the ingredients:

1 large whole egg
    2 large egg whites
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 serving Meijer quick oats
    1/2 cup frozen blue berries (optional)
    Makes 4-6 pancakes, 315 calories and 42 grams of protein.

Spray a non stick pan and set on medium or just a bit less. Make the oatmeal in the microwave. While that is cooking, mix the protein powder and the eggs together. When that is done add the oatmeal to the mixture and mix well with a fork. When the pan is ready, pour your mixture into pancake sizes and if you choose, put frozen blueberries on each pancake. Flip when bottom side is lightly brown. Instead of blueberries you can put some cinnamon on one side and use some sugar free syrup. It will taste very close to French Toast.

I typically do a double batch and put the extras in the fridge to have handy for a snack or the next days' breakfast.
    Enjoy!