5:2 - intermittent fasting. FRIENDS WANTED.

Options
The 5:2/intermittent fast diet starts today.

THE ACTION.
I'm going to fast 2 days out of 5.
Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Not a 100% food restriction.
500 calories for the day.
I will eat the 500 calories (or more with exercise) at night because I cannot sleep when I am hungry.
Only drinking water or tea.
This will give me a -2000 deficit in 2 days.
Only have to exercise off 1500 to lose 1lb a week.
3 days exercise - 30/45 mins per session @ 500 calorie burn.

I will try this new way for 3 months/12 weeks to ensure the test has been given enough time as a new lifestyle choice.

All studies seem to confirm that this is a good lifestyle. I have researched all the Pro's and Con's. I don't have any underlying conditions or ED's.

I visited my Dr to tell Her what I am doing & she said it was fine and wished me luck.

Feeling optimistic.

A little bit hungry but OK. Wish me luck.

I will keep you posted.

Victoria :)

Replies

• slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Good luck - I have been toying with the idea - my manager is doing it and lost 21 lbs in a month! Do you have to do it on the same day each week?
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good luck Victoria!

I started the 5:2 system on monday this week and my 2nd fast day is today (eeek!).
    Monday went much much better than I thought it would but I have to be honest, I am home today as my son is off school cos he is poorly which means I won't be busy like I normally am at work. All the food in the kitchen will be a real test of willpower!

Have you read the book that Dr Michael Mosley wrote? Did you see the Horizon documentary.

Anyway, if you are looking for like minded fasting friends then send me a request.

Wishing you well on your journey

Crazycranberry ;)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's quite a few of us on here - you can use the "search" function to find other discussions, and there's a few specific Groups as well.

You don't have to do the same day each week - if somehting comes up and your fast day is blown, well then just pick a different day.
  • Victœria
    Victœria Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No, you can pick your own days. Tuesday & Thursday just happen to be my usual days off work.
  • Victœria
    Options
    I watched the horizon doc.
    A colleague of mine has been instructed by his rugby coach to follow this diet so I've seen the results you can achieve.
  • welshgirl53
    welshgirl53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing this as well, as long as I don't pig out on the non fast days it should work. I often have days when I eat very little all day, but then unfortunately lose the plot in the evening.This sounds more controlled so maybe more do-able.
  • edoh83
    edoh83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading the Fast diet book and I'm going to start the 5:2 diet next week. I think I'm going to pick Tuesday and Thursdays as my fast days too but with pancake tuesday and valentines day next week I'll go for Wed and Friday for the first week :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Been doing this since August - it works!
    Friend request sent.
  • Victœria
    Options
    Have you watched the horizon documentary called eat,fast & live longer?

It's worth a look :)
  • Victœria
    Options
    Great. Sounds good :)
  • Victœria
    Options
    Accepted. Thank you :)
  • stefisdeadgood
    stefisdeadgood Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying this diet out. If someone could point me in the direction of a group that would be great. :-)
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 5 weeks in to 5:2 and am finding it fits in well with my life and I feel really well on it.

My weight had gone up a bit between november and Christmas due to an operation and me thinking 'what the heck'

I have used this to boost my weight loss and motivation - successfully

I have lost the 7 lbs I had gained and am on target for a loss of a lb this week - even though last weekend was a real blot as we celebrated a friend's birthday with a calorie laden indian takeaway and lots of fizz

I am a 5 ft 6in 49 year old Woman from Wiltshire - add me iff you want
  • mikemckinlay
    mikemckinlay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 and also doing Tuesday and Thursday so this is my 4th fast day. It's too early to tell whether it is working for me however I am finding that on my fast days I am not as hungry as I expected. In fact on Tuesday I didn't eat anything until 1pm. Being a regular "snacker" that is is unheard of for me. I am also feeling less bloated and my trousers are feeling slightly looser.

I find keeping myself busy coupled with black coffee / herbal tea also curtails my hunger.

The fact that you know that you can eat what you want the next day (within reason) really helps however I am also finding that on non fast days I am not gorging myself and am letting myself go a little bit hungry before eating.
  • blakeedenchloe
    Options
    i started the 5:2 diet today to , iv got 18lbs to lose to my goal..... seems an easy way to get there... fingers crossed .
    and im not in any rush to lose it so if its 1 or 2lbs a week loss then thats great with me.
    im doing monday and thursdays.
  • Edlaa
    Edlaa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I kind of started this week as well. I have watched the documentary and am halfway through the book. I did a semi fast yesterday as I hadn't planned so ended up with 640 calories. I am looking forward to my second fast, it'll probably be on Sunday. Determined to keep it under 500 cals. I'll add you as a friend... Will be good to see how we progress :)

I'd like to lose about 10lbs.

:)
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i USUALLY do 6:1 but some weeks do 5:2

I dont eat during the 24hr period but drink: 30g of BCAA, green tea, and water

sending friend request :)
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Starting 5:2 next Monday. My chosen 500 cal days are Mon/Wed (Don't know if I will be able for it but giving it a try!).

Good luck! Add me if you like.:smile:
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    I done this last year before my wedding with great results, and have recently started back on it to try and shed some of the newlywed / Christmas pounds that have crept back on! I find that the initial fast days are probably the hardest as it takes some getting used to such a small amount of calories, but with time it gets easier.

I always do my fast days on weekdays (I find it near impossible to stick to any sort of diet at the weekend!), usually a Monday and Wednesday/Thursday. I generally skip breakfast on my fast days (I've never been much of a big eater in the mornings so this doesn't really bother me), have a light low-cal lunch, occasionally a small afternoon snack, and then have the majority of my calories at dinner time. I find it difficult not to snack in the evenings when I'm at home so I usually try to have a more substantial dinner to fill me up.

Good luck with it! :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

This group is a bit more active than....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8628-5-2-diet

this lot, although they are more recent.

There's also a great page on facebook.