500 calories burned a day?? Really???

Replies

• i just started working out back up after stopping for almost a year i would go to the gym for 3hours & at times i would reach the 950 calorie mark! It is possible but you have to push your body to the extreme. i would sometimes mix hiking with a workout session I am a heavier girl & i would always make a goal of 600 calories & acvhieve it almost everytime! i never ate more calories i sticked to my 1200 a day.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    I often get in more than that. I average about 10 calorie a minute for a 6 mph run. So that's 600 calories for 6 miles! Someone else already said it- it's about efficiency. Running, jump roping, zumba and running stairs are four things I have found that have a nice calorie burn/time spent exercising ratio.
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    I lift weights 3x weekly ~275. On those days I try to fit in an easy 30 minute ride on the spin bike parked directly in front of the TV in the living room for another 350.

On my cardio days I do a HIIT workout for 20 minutes with another 10-15 of easy riding for 500 total.

On Sunday - I go to yoga to stretch it all out. I usually don't do any extra cardio except when I was desperately trying to achieve my January Move my *kitten* goal (I did!).

I use a fitbit and try to get in 5000 steps a day in addition to my workouts. My daily goal is to end up 500 calories under so I eat back any extra calories up to that point. This should get me ~2 lbs per week, but in practice I am achieving 1.4 since 12/30.

For me, it is all about having some accountability (Move your *kitten* challenges) and convenience. The spin bike is totally worth the price - plus I don't feel guilty watching the Biggest Loser. I have a Planet Fitness membership and I lift with a friend so I have a obligation to her. Finally, I have become a slave to the Fitbit. My husband and I were child free on Saturday night and what did we do? We went to Home Depot and walked every aisle to I could get in my steps for the day!

Don't be intimidated by the numbers. Just start doing something and then figure out how to adjust your routines incrementally to get to your goal of 500 a day.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    On Wednesdays and Fridays it is pretty easy for me. 30 minutes on the WII Fit plus first thing in the morning, 45 minutes at Curves for Women circuit traning after work, and 90 minutes of bowling. If I've eaten too much that's topped off by more WII Fit or my elliptical. I can burn 700+ calories on the Elliptical in 45 minutes doing about 7.2 miles per hour. And depending on the activities I choose on the WII Fit Plus (for example the free run) I can actually rack up a lot of calories burned. Check out my diary. I usually burn at least 500 a day. Sometimes I slack off on the weekends because I don't eat as much as the days I work.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Totally realistic, but teh second you start comparing your calorie burns with others' is the second you start driving yourself crazy. Do what you can do, do it the best you can, and move along.

Personally, a good cardio workouts burns ~10 cals per minute for me... a hard workout burns a little more, an easier workouts burns a little less. At 10 cals per, a 60minute cardio session burns ~600 cals.

Yup, agree whole heartedly. On a particularly bada$$ day I'd say 12-13cal/min is my max
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I typically stick to 30 minute cardio sessions...sometimes 45 minutes if it's a light session...it's plenty for me because I don't use exercise for weight loss goals...I have separate fitness goals. I burn anywhere between 250 calories and 350 calories on average depending on what I'm doing, and intensity level. I use the TDEE method so I don't worry about eating them back...MFP method would be eat back.

I have no idea what I burn with my lifting sessions, nor do I care.
  • When I'm in the gym I burn between 400-600 calories on cardio machines. I don't record what I burn from weights because it's no where near what I do cardio-wise! Then again, I do an hour or more of cardio each time. (45 min on the stationary bike, 30-45 min on the elliptical. I avoid the treadmill like the plague.)
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    I burned 625 calories yesterday doing an hour on the elliptical. :)
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    It really depends on how much you weigh and how hard you work out. Keep in mind, MFP's calories burned is just an estimation. I use a heart rate monitor and a 30 minute run on the treadmill is almost 400 calories for me. My personal training sessions run an hour long and allow me to burn about 700 calories. A 50 minute spin class is about 600.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    My typical schedule is as follows:

Work 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM Monday - Thursday (Take Friday off because I volunteer at the local VFW)

We have a bridge that is almost 3 miles long (one way) and I sometimes run that right after work...takes about 1 hour (500
    calories).

4:00 PM home...run on the treadmill for one hour. (500 calories)

Saturday - Sunday...times vary based on what time I get up.

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM - run on the treadmill. (1000 calories)
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic? What does your normal day look like (go to work at this time, eat this time, workout at this time etc....)? Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories? Help! :) Thank you!

5:00AM - turbo fire (ranges from 20 miute HIIT to hour dvd's) with burns from 300-600
    5:30PM - 6/6:30 - brisk walk-burns 170-220 calories
    2 days a week- 5:30-6:30 Zumba- average 800 cals per class

Its DEFINATELY POSSIBLE. Good luck
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Zumba has me burning between 500-600 an hour. I prefer a 45 min routine and burn right under 500.. that doesn't include my weight lifting.
  • Hop on the Stairmaster for roughly 30-35 minutes at level 10 (out of 20). You'll burn 500+ calories and feel like your heart is ready to burst out of your chest.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    It's easy for me but you know why? I weigh probably 100 pounds more than you.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    I typically burn over a 1000 calories a day from cardio. I do mostly elliptical, but sometimes mix it up with stationary bike and a row machine. I also do strength training 4x a week but I don't count calories burned there, don't even know how to estimate that really.

Later I'll add some classes, swimming, 30DS, stuff like that.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    4 days per week I go to the gym for an hour on my lunch break. 2 days per week I workout at home for half an hour.

5:30 get up and get ready
    7:30-11:00 work
    11:00-12:00 gym
    12:00-4:30 work
    4:30 go home and spend time with my kids and husband

I averaged 1700 calories while losing and now I aim for 2000+ every day on maintenance.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Burning 500 calories a workout is pretty easy doing high intensity compound lifting based programs. I routinely burn between 400-600 on mine.

I work out first thing in the morning at home. I do training with sandbags instead of weights. Yes I do eat those calories back.
  • gbellsatx
    gbellsatx Posts: 37 Member
    Yes its possible, but by now you probably already know this!
  • 500 is easy on the elliptical machines. (if you have a gym membership) I usually spend 50 minutes on it and burn 500+ (normally at least 100 for every 10 min).
    I love it because it's lower impact than running.
  • HappyAng
    HappyAng Posts: 26 Member
    I stay at the gym an hour and burn over 500 calories in 45 minutes on the eliptical machine. Zumba, The Bigget Loser Dvd can burn 500 plus calories also.