Any Menopause weight loss success stories?

Options

Replies

• LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    Bump
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Lifting also helps with metabolism. Thanks for the reminder that I'm also helping my bones :-) I'm not menopausal yet, but think I'm getting close :-( My last two periods were a couple weeks apart, which I think is probably peri-menopause related.

Also...the fact that there are skinny older ladies is evidence that you can lose after menopause...they lost/didn't gain=I can lose

The boring old count-calories-and-maintain-the-right-deficit drill works for me. Strength training is really important in menopause, because older women lose bone mass really easily. Don't be afraid to lift slow and heavy because it has been found to improve bone density as well as strength. There's no point in being a thin but helpless old woman with fragile bones. We need to lift weights so that we can enjoy the quality of life that we'd prefer.

It's harder as we get older because our metabolisms are slower. We don't burn as much for exercise and we can't eat as much, either. The margin for error is thin, and it's really easy to underestimate our food calories and overestimate our exercise calories.

A food scale helps keep me honest. This calorie counter: http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned helps me find the right number for my exercise calories.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ...difficulty with "short arms" in the bathroom,...

Sadly, I know exactly what you mean here....thanks to you, I realized that I no longer have that problem! Now there's an interesting NSV for you! :-)
  • Appletree5
    Options
    I came out the menopause at 39 - everything finished, and slowly but surely - consistantly put on weight, not because of the menopause- but because of what I ate. At 50 I got a wake up call about my weight, and started dieting Nov 12 and to date have lost 44 lbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I came out the menopause at 39 - everything finished, and slowly but surely - consistantly put on weight, not because of the menopause- but because of what I ate. At 50 I got a wake up call about my weight, and started dieting Nov 12 and to date have lost 44 lbs.
    Perhaps it was a combination of what you ate and menopause...
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and have been in menopause for several years now due to a partial hysterectomy. I have been logging in MFP for 100 days today, and I have only lost 6 lbs. I have about 10 - 15 additional pounds that I would like to lose. Very slow weight loss , and I have been at a plateau for about 6 weeks now. I have lost several inches though, and gained muscle and strength. I have some parathyroid and maybe thyroid issues, so my weight loss may be very slow compared to other people. I am gluten free, dairy free, and low sodium for health reasons, and a vegetarian by choice. I generally keep to simple unprocessed foods, but I do have too many sweets, I think. I am trying to increase my protein and decrease my sugar. I exercise 45 - 60 minutes almost every day, and have added strength and try to do interval cardio, which has increased my endurance. I generally eat 1200 - 1300 calories, or a little more. The rate of weight loss is very different for different individuals, but you can do it, and as some people said in this post, by logging you may be able to see what works best for you. Good luck!
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    I love your story. I have been in the back row way to many times, or I just didn't get in the picture. I am waiting till I can feel comfortable standing in the front --- Thanks for sharing.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have managed to lose 140 pds in 14 months and been going through menapause for just over 8 moths now so it is do able just keeping on track with calories and exercise is all i have been doing.

This is good to know. I started this journey in earnest in January, and at the same time, the night sweats and skipping TOMs started. I knew this was going to be harder than it was when I was younger, but hopefully I'm tougher now. :smile:
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ...difficulty with "short arms" in the bathroom,...

Sadly, I know exactly what you mean here....thanks to you, I realized that I no longer have that problem! Now there's an interesting NSV for you! :-)

OMG, I thought I was the only person that had this problem. :blushing:
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bumping ~ read later :)
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I was 60 last summer. I've actually found it easier to lose weight since menopause (4 years into it). I haven't really eliminated any food, though I try to eat less refined sugar and more protein and complex carbs. Despite having my hip replaced 6 1/2 weeks ago I try to stay active and have been going to physical therapy using a stationary bike, treadmill, etc. until I can get out walking again, which I am easing into now that the weather is improving. I now weigh less than I did when I graduated from high school in 1970, though it is definitely redistributed into slightly different locations! As of today I weigh 113 pounds (5'1") and while my initial goal weight was 115 I've decided to shoot for 110. Not killing myself to get there... only lost 1 pound in the last month, but still headed in the right direction. I feel and look better than I did at 30!
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I weigh less now than I did ten years ago, before menopause hit. I work out 5 days a week for an hour, and log food everyday. I also take bio identical hormone replacement. I did tons of reach and they are actually quite safe.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I was 60 last summer. I've actually found it easier to lose weight since menopause (4 years into it). I haven't really eliminated any food, though I try to eat less refined sugar and more protein and complex carbs. Despite having my hip replaced 6 1/2 weeks ago I try to stay active and have been going to physical therapy using a stationary bike, treadmill, etc. until I can get out walking again, which I am easing into now that the weather is improving. I now weigh less than I did when I graduated from high school in 1970, though it is definitely redistributed into slightly different locations! As of today I weigh 113 pounds (5'1") and while my initial goal weight was 115 I've decided to shoot for 110. Not killing myself to get there... only lost 1 pound in the last month, but still headed in the right direction. I feel and look better than I did at 30!

Say WHAT????!!!!!?????? 60?????!!!!!?????

No WAY...you look like you're 20-25 years old MAX! I'm so proud of you--WOW!
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm 55 and have been post menopausal several years. I gained about 70 pounds between 2001 and 2011, mostly from getting back into the habit of drinking Coca Cola. I lost about 13 pounds between my 2011 and 2013 check up (November to November). Spurred on by that success, I decided to quit drinking pop cold turkey. I allowed myself all the Zero I wanted the first week, but after that, I didn't want even the Zero. I had a dusty exercise bike in the garage, so I dusted it off and started out riding 15 minutes a day. I'm up to 50 6 x a week. I'm eating around 1500 calories a day, sometimes less. Maybe 1600ish on Saturdays.

I had lost 128 pounds the year I turned forty. I'm really pretty much just doing what I did then, except that my cardio was walking. I walked five miles a day back then, but my knees are shot. I know a lot of people look down on "spinning," but it's better than not exercising at all.

I was also fortunate in that I had some really good trainers for strength training, as I was a teacher the last time I lost weight. A very knowledgable coach agreed to show me and some other ladies how to lift. I bought my own weights when I quit teaching. I dragged those out and haven't missed a workout day (4 days, alternating upper and lower body) since November. It's like once I started doing what I know to do, my body just knew what to do. I will say that I lost the weight before on 1800 calories a day. Now, I'm at 1500, but as my son (a CPA/part time boot camp instructor) says, you just can't expect your body to be as efficient at 55 as it was at 40 (or certainly 25).

The thing for me is knowing this is a marathon, not a sprint. I want to be around a long time for my kids, grands and someday perhaps greats. (My oldest grand is only 9, so hopefully a long way down the road.) I tend to have longevity in my family. My grandparents and their siblings all lived to be at least mid-80's, and several great grandparents lived well into their 90's. My grandma was very disabled the last 5 years of her life, for no reason other than she gained 60 pounds after my mom died, and she was not a small woman then. She went from around 220 to around 280. Yes, she had issues. Her only child was murdered, and I admit I enabled her, because food was her only comfort. But if I'm gonna be around, I want to be as healthy as possible.

I digress. I realize it's a process, getting this weight off and maintaining it, but I agree with the poster who said strength training is important, but it's also important to find out what works for you and do it. For me, it's eat less; move more, including lots of cardio and strength training.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Forgot to say that including the 13 I lost in the year between check ups and the 3 I lost before MFP, I'm actually down 51 pounds. I want to drop another 50-ish. I hope to get to 188 by summer, then spend the summer knocking out the last 20.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Say WHAT????!!!!!?????? 60?????!!!!!?????

No WAY...you look like you're 20-25 years old MAX! I'm so proud of you--WOW!

Thanks! I promise, I'm 60... born in 1952! I saw the Beatles twice! I was blessed with good genes. My mom lived to be 80 and even in declining health she looked 20 years younger. She had red hair, too, and only got one little streak of gray hair. I can't say the same! :glasses:
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 56. I started counting calories and eating clean in mid July 2012. By October, I had lost 20-22 pounds and I am stuck there. I am neither loosing inches nor pounds.
    I need to lose another 10 pounds. I have started with 4 kg dumbbells workouts three times a week. I wont mind if I get some muscles and lose the fat at the same weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!