Any Menopause weight loss success stories?

Options

Replies

• blancokitty
    blancokitty Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My sister cut back of food and all treadmill everyday started 5 mins first day and worked up speed. After 2 yrs she lost 88 lbs very slow but she made it and looks great.
    I can't eat carb because it bad for me, I can't lose weight eating carb. Now I eat carb breakfast then the rest of day don't just boiled egg for lunch 60 cal. pudding. dinner meat with veggies.
  • scooteacha
    scooteacha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hii, those that have lost weight after menopause, have you been on HRT natural or otherwise? Im now in the midst of it(due to hysterectomy for fibroids,) and the scale is stuck and only goes up not down regardless of what i do. Advice? Thank you.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hii, those that have lost weight after menopause, have you been on HRT natural or otherwise? Im now in the midst of it(due to hysterectomy for fibroids,) and the scale is stuck and only goes up not down regardless of what i do. Advice? Thank you.

I also had partial hysterectomy due to fibroid.
    And no , I was not on HRT.
    Believe me it is possible.
    Losing weight after menopause is not very different from weight loss when we are younger. It is the fat distribution even after weight loss that sucks.
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump to keep up
  • reankanesmom
    reankanesmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had a complete hysterectomy in 2008 at the age of 25. I had started going through menopause naturally before it and than when I had the surgery I went through it medically as my ob said. Afterwards I gained a lot of weight well I say a lot. I went through my surgery at 200 lbs which at 5'1 is heavy but by the time I finally figured out how to do it and get it all in gear and fight with every thing I was 271. I am now down to 183 lbs and the only way I have been able to do it is lots of cardio and cutting out pastas, breads, sugars, and large amounts of unhealthy fats. For the most part of my journey I ate chicken, tuna veggies and only non startchy veggies and fruits that are low in sugar. I did milk here and there but I went to almonds milk. Of course no soda and any adult beverage had to be carefully planned. It is possible, I just think it's harder.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do an hour at the gym Monday to Friday, plus 2 personal training sessions a week. I am on inhaled corticosteroids. I think for me, the drugs make it harder to lose weight. A 2.2 pound (1 kilo) loss in a month is a good loss for me. My measurements haven't really gone down much, but with the hard work I do in the gym, my shape is changing. I look strong and toned, not 'round'. Stubbornness, patience, persistence.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I'm curious about the future.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I am 60, not on HRT because I found it made me meaner than I already am.....

here is my story:
    http://the-hroost.com/public/?s=past+are+bound+to+repeat+weight+
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy around age 36, but I was already overweight, not sure by how much, I just was.
    I had level 4 Endo, fibroids, tumours, chocolate cysts, so everything came out.

I guess up until December 2012, I just didn't want it enough. Being told I was diabetic, immediately made me think "Oh no, I'm not"

So here I am, 6 months and 1 day later, minus 40 pounds.

Whats the secret? there is none, I am doing the same as everyone else, I keep at it, keep calories, carbs, sugar down, and log everything I eat..and just dont give up! I have 90 ish to go, and I'm not stopping anytime soon!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,013 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and was surprised that I could lose weight while going through menopause.

Here is my one year on MFP blog (but I don't actually talk about menopause in the blog, lol).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/77tes?month=201208
  • SchnuseLyn
    Options
    I have almost the same exact stats. I can empathize with those 7-10 vanity pounds. They are really tough to lose! For me, these extra pounds sit right in my lower belly and they make me very uncomfortable! I have never had a belly and I am not tolerating it too well!

I am new to MFP. So, I hope that I can identify areas to improve with my diet. It has only been three days, but I have already seen that I tend to eat too many fat grams. So far, I like the program. It keeps you on track and it gives you nice visual cues that help you make better choices. The key is entering the information as you eat so that you can make adjustments for the next meal. One change that I have already made is to use Hood carb smart 2% milk inseat of the conventional variety. I drink a lot of coffee and milk has quite a bit of sugar.

Good Luck!
  • grrupp
    grrupp Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump to save
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    54 years old and about 3 years post menopausal-55 down and 70 to go. Total life change March 2012-and never looked back. Hubby and I are both on the path-and I either walk, ride my bike outside (weather permitting) or ride my stationary bike...also lift light weights. Have just started a wee bit of running-my goal is a mile uninterrupted! Isn't a quick process-but am committed. Hey-if I can do it...anyone can!
  • sbeltman61
    Options
    Eliminating and or cutting down grain products have finally done it for me!
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had success post-menopause by cutting out most processed foods, keeping my carbs fairly low and walking everday. I've now added some strength training as well.

Good luck to you in your journey.

This. I was stalled, dropped my carbs (pretty much all from vegetables now, no sugar, very little sugar sub), increased my cals, fat and protein, and started losing again. I walk, jog a little, lift weights, sometimes do 30 Day Shred, but I don't work out as much as I was during stall. I'm 3 months post-menopause.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'll be 58 in August. I lost 100 pounds when I turned 50. Gained 50 of it back after a very stressful couple of years and have lost that 50 again since joining MFP. The key for me is logging my food and exercise. The most amazing thing for me was adding strength training into my weekly exercise which I started about a year ago. I lift three times a week now plus do 4-5 days of cardio. Three of those days are for short cardio's following the lifting and then I try and get two longer cardio days in a week. And I work full time. So yes it can be done, you just have to make it a priority.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Before and after on my profile pic
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    56 years old and post menopausal for 6 years. I lost 5.5 weeks the first week on MFP and since then 3 pounds in 8 weeks. It seems as though week to week there is a .5 pound up or down for a few weeks and then I lose 1.5 and it sticks. It's still early but I am trying to find a pattern. I do the treadmill at the gym 4-5 times a week 45 minutes to an hour, brisk pace walking, light jogging, and some inclines. Nothing too strenuous, Plan to add weight training soon.

As long as the scale is moving in the right direction I'm OK. I keep telling myself even if I don't lose weight, the healthier food choices and exercise will still have benefits.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 61. Pounds crept on over the last 20+ years. Took an online nutrition class in January where one assignment was to log what I ate for a 24 hour period. Ate healthier that day :wink: and noted if I ate that well everyday, I should lose weight. The class gave me a sideways intro to MFP. I joined in February and I'm currently losing about 1 pound a week on 1500 or so daily calories. I'm eating cleaner and I quit keeping snacks in my car, except for very long drives and for that I've switched from tortilla chips to broccoli and hummus. There's nothing "magic" to losing weight - you just have to find a program that works for you that you can stick with for the rest of your life. (I'm also gluten free, but that is to resolve some pesky health issues - avoided gluten for almost 2 years with no downward trend in weight prior to MFP)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!