going down a pant size...

Vonne
Vonne Posts: 33
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm just curious about something. I have a friend who keeps telling me that you have to lose 20lbs to go down a pant size. Now I know obviously everyone loses weight differently but for those of you who have gone down a size during your weight loss does this seem "fairly" accurate?

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    It took 18 pounds for me...and I'm still not a true 8 - some of them are a little tight.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    I've lost 22 lbs and I've gone from a 16 to an ALMOST 12... the 14's are starting to fall of . I think it all depends on where you loose and how you loose, you may loose more inches and tone up even though you don't loose alot of weight.
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Size 12 to an 8 in 16 pounds. Really depends on how many inches you are losing on your waist/hips, not weight in pounds.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Well I think it is different for everyone, it depends on where you lose your weight from first right. For example, when I started here last April I was an 18-20 depending on the pant, I have lost 24 pounds and am currently a 15-16 again depending on the pant. BUT I am down from an XXL to an XL in shirts because I have lost most of my weight in my upper body. I suppose you could say she's 'fairly accurate' but like you said, everyone's different :bigsmile:
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Depends on where it is coming off of :smile: I am down 44 Lbs teetering on 45 and I have gone down 3 sizes in pants (depending on who makes them 4 sizes)
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    yep....everyone is totally different.... and something really interested that I have found is that some people who are the same "size" as me (height and weight) can be in a bigger or smaller size than I am in now... There is no accuarate formula for this....Its all about your body.....
    BUT, buddy, let me tell ya... It sure feels good to move down a size!!!! :drinker:
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    I lost 15 and have not lost a size yet but I was probably not wearing as large of a size as I should have been.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    No offense but your friend doesn't know that much about losing weight... if you're working out, you're going to lose differently than if you were just changing how you're eating...your body is toning up as well as losing fat. You may not lose evenly so you could lose less than 20 lbs an drop a pant size or otherwise, as clearly seen by everyone's testaments here. :) I've lost 16 lbs and am nowhere near a pants size smaller because I carry all my weight in my thighs and in my hips. I've lost off my waist and therefore my pants are looser THERE, but not much anywhere else. So I won't be a size smaller in 4 lbs even though I'm working out every part of my body.

Also, when I was a teenager...I lost 35 lbs. and went from a 16 to a 12, so that also rules out her theory. :happy:
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    I would think it would probably depend on a variety of factors such as your height, how you lose weight, muscle etc.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    I started out at about 190 pounds wearing a snug size 14. Sometimes 16. Now I'm at 157, 30 pounds lighter and wearing a size 12... hopefully I'll fit into 10's soon!!!
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    I lost 15 and have not lost a size yet but I was probably not wearing as large of a size as I should have been.

haha me too!!! i've lost 20, and my pants are just kinda lose... not down a size yet.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    definitely different for everyone... I think it's been every 20 lbs for me. At my starting weight I was in a 24. At about 225 I got into an 18. When I hit 210-ish, I slid into my very favorite size 16 shorts. My next shopping spree is June where I hope to be at least 170. I have no idea what size I'll wear then, but pretty sure I've never worn it before in my entire teen & adult life!
This discussion has been closed.