Low Sugar Cereal Suggestions

Options
Time crunched mornings typically lead to a quick bowl of cereal - but even the ones i consider somewhat healthy have too much sugar (12g for 1.5 cups of chow).

Any suggestions on low sugar cereals that you enjoy?

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I can't help with this, but I am very interested to hear the answers.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Fiber One 80 calorie! Comes in Honey Squares and a new chocolate flavor....3g sugar for 1 serving, 10g fiber, 1g fat, 1g protein, 25g carbs...I think they are nummy!
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    check out the Nature's Path line of cereals too. I find them at Trader Joes but you may be able to get online as well. I like Fiber One cereals too.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    cheerios and chex. kix.
  • Ermahgerd_Derpina
    Options
    I take a serving of regular bran cereal (0g per half cup) and a serving of Fiber One Chocolate cereal (5g per 3/4 cup) and eat it together.
    It's delicious, but be careful! It's a lot of fiber, so if you're not used to taking in that much, it might be dangerous.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    weetabix sprinkled with aspartame
  • cjeffcampbell
    Options
    I was thinking about what i normally eat, and they all seem to start with "Cinnamon", "Brown Sugar", "Honey", etc. Doh!

Even with Cherrios, i MUCH prefer the Honey Nut version.

Keep going...def some new ones on there i'll have to try.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals are pretty low sugar (but not the granola types ....yikes!) ... many (Go Lean Original esp.) .... have good protein & fiber numbers as well. I like the Heart to Heart Honey Toasted Oats .... lower sugar than Honey Nut Cheerios. Kashi Honey Sunshine is kind of like a low sugar Cap'n Crunch.

Special K (original) is tastey ... lots of protein too. Other "flavors" of Special K are much higher in sugar & lower in protein.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Special K oats and honey is great and i'm diabetic and eat it.....
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Cheerios - yummy with some unsweeted vanilla almond milk!! This is my go-to cereal!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

aspartame is not a good sub for sugar. stick with the real deal and not the artifical subs as they tend to cause other health issues over the long haul.

http://aspartame.mercola.com/
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I was thinking about what i normally eat, and they all seem to start with "Cinnamon", "Brown Sugar", "Honey", etc. Doh!

Even with Cherrios, i MUCH prefer the Honey Nut version.

Keep going...def some new ones on there i'll have to try.

Try the Multi-Grain Cheerios. I prefer them over the regular and I am a BIG Honey Nut Cheerios person but, stopped getting them because of sugar myself. Remember, you could always add some fruit to it to make it a little sweeter the healthier way. :-)
  • Acg67
    Options

aspartame is not a good sub for sugar. stick with the real deal and not the artifical subs as they tend to cause other health issues over the long haul.

It is an excellent sub for sugar, zero calories!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The only dry cereal I eat is Special K protein plus 100 cals 2 sugars 10 of protein. Yum
  • scottjohnsonbcc
    scottjohnsonbcc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Since you like the Cinnamon stuff (me too) - might try Cascadian Farms Organic - Cinnamon Crunch - it still has 8g sugar, but not too bad overall.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

read up on aspartame, zero calories does not equal healthier choice. http://aspartame.mercola.com/
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    cheerios & special K, both are low sugar yet tasty, my cereal staples....i also like rice chex
  • Acg67
    Options

read up on aspartame, zero calories does not equal healthier choice. http://aspartame.mercola.com/

Read up on mercola, he's a quack
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Why put sugar or sweetener on top at all? I like my shredded wheat plain. Or Cheerios, but they're too addictive.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Does precooked steak in gravy count as cereal?