Co-workers Offering Food...

Options
How do I this...Keep Politely decling....No! I do not want an oreo! No thanks...Your Pizza looks great, but i have a salad....No thanks...I dont want your extra Taco Bell...I have a granola bar....I cant do it...Please what do you do to keep co-workers at bay?

Replies

• marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would probably start bringing in healthy snacks (enough to share) and when they offer their junk food to you, make a counteroffer to them and see what happens. "No thanks, but would you like some of this?" They might 1) get the hint that you're trying to eat better and back off or 2) join you in your quest for healthier eating and start bringing better food in as well. Then you'd have an ally!

Also if you have good food around you I think their junk won't be so tempting.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    :sad:

Its my neighbor .....she bakes for us.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would probably start bringing in healthy snacks (enough to share) and when they offer their junk food to you, make a counteroffer to them and see what happens. "No thanks, but would you like some of this?" They might 1) get the hint that you're trying to eat better and back off or 2) join you in your quest for healthier eating and start bringing better food in as well. Then you'd have an ally!

Also if you have good food around you I think their junk won't be so tempting.

The Confectionary Declination
    Written By Joseph P. Weeks

I know they work hard, to make treats for all.
    I hear them talking as they pass in hall.
    They baked a new kind of cookie, hoping I’d try it.
    But I have to decline because I’m on a diet.

It’s never easy to walk past the plate.
    They smell so darn good and I know they taste great.
    The truth of the matter is I have a goal.
    I want back the body my gluttony stole.

It was ever so perfect back in my youth.
    But now it reflects the whims of my tooth.
    The soda and frosting has taken its toll.
    Now I’m far too young to feel so darn old.

I don’t think I’m better than anyone here.
    But to get back my courage I must face my fear.
    I’m not making a statement that says you must too.
    I’ll do this for me and you do for you.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just say "No Thanks!" with a smile and go back to doing whatever I was doing.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Just keep saying no.

Eventually they'll get it.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Keep saying no. The past few days have been hard at my office... quiche, lemon bars, bagels & cream cheese, soup- all made or brought in for the whole office to share. I probably could have had the soup but I passed because I had my own and I knew how many calories were in mine.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just keep saying no.

Eventually they'll get it.

No, they won't! ;) I keep saying no. I get all kinds of, "Come on, it's just one cupcake!" "Ohhh, Jen's being goooooooood." (Sarcastically.) "You're so skinny, you need to eat!" Ad nauseum. It's annoying. It sucks. In the past year, all of a sudden my weight and eating habits are apparently for public consumption. But, I keep saying no. Sometimes, I do let myself have a treat here and there, although sometimes that starts a bad backslide.
  • Khisalandra
    Khisalandra Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there's a sure-fire way. I have so many co-workers that bring in food. Usually they just do a general announcement that "there's such and such in the kitchen, help yourselves!" but occasionally there's someone who will actually bring stuff over. I usually just smile and decline. I'm considering putting up a sign tho that says something along the lines of "# pounds lost to date. Please don't derail my progress train". haha
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No thank you.
    No thank you.
    No thank you.

Me eat that? That'll be the day!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No thank you. Plain and simple.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lick it then put it back - you won't get asked again.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just keep telling them, 'no thank you' politely. Just remind youself they were likely brough up to always be curtious and share. They really don't mean harm; and many really just don't know any better.

I had one co-worker, who was passing around birthday cake who finally stopped at my cubical. She told me, "I know your on a diet, but I just feel I would be rude if I didn't at least offer." It made me laugh, and that's when it finally occured to me that most of them are not deliberately trying to sabatoge my new healthy lifestyle.

Cheers.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    How do I this...Keep Politely decling....No! I do not want an oreo! No thanks...Your Pizza looks great, but i have a salad....No thanks...I dont want your extra Taco Bell...I have a granola bar....I cant do it...Please what do you do to keep co-workers at bay?

Just keep doing it a little bit longer. Eventually they will learn. They won't be asking forever. Just repeat.

"Keep Politely decling....No! I do not want an oreo! No thanks...Your Pizza looks great, but i have a salad....No thanks...I dont want your extra Taco Bell...I have a granola bar....I cant do it..."

It's like your mantra until one day they won't be offering at all.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lick it then put it back - you won't get asked again.

Yeah, but how would she calculate the calories? :wink:

I get it though. I work from home (self-employed) and that *kitten* keeps trying to make me eat Doritos!

Translation:
    Temptation comes from everywhere. You're an adult. Say no thank you. Over and over and over and over again. It'll stop eventually. Some people are just extra thick and need extra time. Just don't give in.. even once... you'll start the cycle over again!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I accept the treats..and then take them home to the kids or hubby...
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You always have the option of saying no.

People are going to make comments, or offer food, or whatever else. You just keep saying no.

I don't think anyone is really trying to be rude, or derail you. I get offered things all the time, because most of the time it'd be rude of them to ask the other 10 people in the room if they wanted a cookie/pizza/candy and skip over me.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Just say no. I've been doing it for over 4 months and they don't ask me anymore.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    pro tip

When you go to the bathroom, make sure someone else is in there each time.

Be sure you DO NOT wash your hands after using the toilet. *IMPORTANT* Be sure that they see this!

This will usually stop them from trying to share food with you.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    pro tip

When you go to the bathroom, make sure someone else is in there each time.

Be sure you DO NOT wash your hands after using the toilet. *IMPORTANT* Be sure that they see this!

This will usually stop them from trying to share food with you.

Great idea. I might switch up ... I usually start picking my nose when they come by. For whatever reason they tend to not ask anymore ...
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, definately keep saying no. Here, we have vendors bringing in Krispy Creme, or Wilsons (a local bakery that is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good) almost daily. I told my co-workers to not even call me over to their office until they were all gone or hidden. At my previous location which was more women than men, someone was always baking something. I've learned to say no 95% of the time and only when i truly want to splurge do I accept.