Co-workers Offering Food...

Options
2»

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    pro tip

When you go to the bathroom, make sure someone else is in there each time.

Be sure you DO NOT wash your hands after using the toilet. *IMPORTANT* Be sure that they see this!

This will usually stop them from trying to share food with you.

Great idea. I might switch up ... I usually start picking my nose when they come by. For whatever reason they tend to not ask anymore ...

Yet another pro tip! You should have labeled it as such!
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Since I do an on site WW group at work, I said straight up in my team's staff meeting "I have recommitted to my WW@Work group, it meets Tuesdays at 11:30, please do not book meetings over that time, and please respect my commitment."

BAM.

I find I earn respect from those that are a generation older than me close to my parents age (I'm 28), they've been back and forth and respect that a young person is taking control early. The young people are also supportive, they always ask me if I had a "good week" when I come back from my meetings. My manager puts away the chocolates on her desk when I come by for meetings and replaces them with a satsuma orange. It's amazing how helpful people are when you're just straight up with them! :)

I just signed up for the 200 mile Seattle to Portland bike ride this summer and my coworkers know this goal too, and they want me to make it and good nutrition is only the beginning of the training!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The word NO was the first on kids learned. That and the head shake that goes with it. Interestingly, they learned it in order to decline foods that they didn't want to eat. There's no magic trick. Just keep saying no.

idriselbatilt_zpsb3908c60.gif
  • maya88j
    Options
    The word NO was the first on kids learned. That and the head shake that goes with it. Interestingly, they learned it in order to decline foods that they didn't want to eat. There's no magic trick. Just keep saying no.

idriselbatilt_zpsb3908c60.gif

I guess its easy for u to say but if im able to take lessons from this fine brother the answer might come easier lol.. But yea i have been dealing with this same prob but i manage to improve each time just have to fight temptation
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky. No one in my office pushes food on me. They had a birthday party on Monday and was going around with cake. They offered me some but they actually said, you are doing so good you dont want any do you? I didnt want any. :tongue:
  • AphroditicLens
    Options
    I work at a college, so everything is cookies, pastries, bagels, sandwiches, wraps, etc. I do Keto/low-carb, so I can't have any of that. I say no politely and explain that I've been doing very well on my diet and that I don't want to stray from the path, or I'll go nuts and lose my progress. Everybody seems to understand, since they're wowed by anybody actually losing weight.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Apparently you've been saying no all along.

Sounds like it's been working.

I'd say go with that.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    My colleagues have stopped offering me stuff now cos they know I'm losing weight - I actually find that quite offensive because I might want to eat a biscuit and just count the calories! I feel like the fat girl who isn't allowed a biscuit!!! lol
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the one who brings in the goodies, people don't tend to pressure you if you have your own stuff on offer! (and nope, I don't usually succumb to the temptation to eat it, it just becomes background stuff and keeps my coworkers happy).
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I've had success with explaining to my coworkers that I'm working hard to reach a better level of health - now that they're "in on the secret" in a way, they don't pressure me to eat. They'll still offer to be nice, but don't give me grief if I say No. Maybe try that?

It's funny that you posted this - I just posted a related question on my own wall about how to deal with eating out with friends when they want to go somewhere that is waaaaayyyyyy far away from what you want to (or can!) eat, nutrition-wise. It's tough!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    plain and simple, you say, nope, i am on a healthkick.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    LOOK Bishhh, I said NO....walk away
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.... It makes it hard when you're brain is saying you're hungry.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There will always be some people who just don't understand some people need to watch what they eat but if your consistent you do get help.

More than once now I've been out with friends and while one doesn't understand why I keep declining the appetizer he ordered another friend just jumped in and told him to stop asking because I was just being polite and it was obvious I just couldn't eat what he was offering.
  • kacowgill99
    kacowgill99 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ha, this made me laugh because I am always the one on the other side of this situation. I work in an office of 4 people and I am usually the one to make a lunch run. So in order to be polite (from my perspective) I always ask everyone if they would like something from the place I go pick up lunch. The participation is in spurts...sometimes everyone wants something for a long period of time, and other times one or two people go on a long streak of "No, thank you."

So (from past experience), I always continue to ask because the one time I thought I was doing them a favor by not "tempting" them, I get a dirty look followed by "Hey! Why didn't you ask me what I wanted??!?!?!"

So now it is kind of a routine around lunch time to pass around a list and if someone doesn't want it they just pass it on.

On a side note, this only applies occasionally at breakfast and each day at lunch time. I agree it is annoying (but, delicious) when someone brings in cookies, brownies, or cake and leaves it in the common area all day long. Also there is a HUGE candy bowl on our reception desk that is always full of little no-no's...gotta steer clear of that!
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    Happens to me everyday. Funny how the minute people found out I was trying to lose weight they started pushing food at me. The person I share an office with has the worst eating habits and now makes fun of what I eat for lunch, calling it rabbit food, or announcing to others that " Carla's on a diet" even though I never said a word to him about it. People just leave food on my desk without even asking. I pick it up and ask my co worker if he wants it, if not it goes in the trash. The person I go to lunch with will ask if I want something she has not once or twice, but three or four times until I get exasperated loudly declare NO I don't want any.
    I don't know what makes people do this, but I will not allow them to sabotage my plan.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just keep saying no.

Eventually they'll get it.

No, they won't! ;) I keep saying no. I get all kinds of, "Come on, it's just one cupcake!" "Ohhh, Jen's being goooooooood." (Sarcastically.) "You're so skinny, you need to eat!" Ad nauseum. It's annoying. It sucks. In the past year, all of a sudden my weight and eating habits are apparently for public consumption. But, I keep saying no. Sometimes, I do let myself have a treat here and there, although sometimes that starts a bad backslide.

I think there is an important difference between asking politely and pushing. The former is considerate, but what you describe is rude and possibly creating a hostile work environment (especially the comments on your body). Have you mentioned it to your supervisor and let him/her know how it makes you uncomfortable? Management should not allow this sort of negative pushy culture to develop if they care for their employees.