Jamaica

Options

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Stayed at the Hotel Riu Palace Tropical Bay in Negril and it was absolutely fantastic!!! Great place, great food, great service...not one bad thing to say. But if you're looking for an adults only place...we went on a boat ride past Hedonism...and it looked mighty fine!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Take pleanty of ones for tips. The first time we only had twenties and they didnt take to kindly to nor being tipped.

yeah, you're right. i forgot about that. they want tips for everything.
  • jeckalynne
    Options
    If you fly into Montego Bay. The drive to Ocho Rios is probably the most intresting part of the whole vacation.

yeah, it was beautiful and shocking at the same time. I never expected to see oxen roaming free. I LOVED walking down a waterfall in that area too.

My only advice--i learned the hard way-- stay in the tourist areas! We made the mistake of going into town to explore and we stuck out like a sore thumb and it was not a good place to be.

See, I went downtown and loved the culture. Yes, being the only white dressed up people, we were targeted by every dude wanting to be our guide; but we stuck w/ one native and he showed us around and filled us in on what life is like there. I loved it. If I ever go back I'll definately do the downtown thing again. To each their own.
  • bubba42511
    Options
    Take pleanty of ones for tips. The first time we only had twenties and they didnt take to kindly to nor being tipped.

yeah, you're right. i forgot about that. they want tips for everything.

RIGHT!!!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    The kid friendly place is Beaches and adults only is Sandals. Ive been to Beaches once and Sandals twice.

yes. my mistake.
  • ashdred
    ashdred Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    *taking notes* loving the tips...keep em coming!
  • bubba42511
    Options
    If you fly into Montego Bay. The drive to Ocho Rios is probably the most intresting part of the whole vacation.

yeah, it was beautiful and shocking at the same time. I never expected to see oxen roaming free. I LOVED walking down a waterfall in that area too.

My only advice--i learned the hard way-- stay in the tourist areas! We made the mistake of going into town to explore and we stuck out like a sore thumb and it was not a good place to be.

See, I went downtown and loved the culture. Yes, being the only white dressed up people, we were targeted by every dude wanting to be our guide; but we stuck w/ one native and he showed us around and filled us in on what life is like there. I loved it. If I ever go back I'll definately do the downtown thing again. To each their own.

Ive heard bad thingsabout people getting in taxis and getting robbed blind.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Good Information
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you choose to go into town, go with a local.
  • bubba42511
    Options
    All this is making me want to go back
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Went to The Grand Palladium in Montego Bay, and the resort amenitites were nice, but the beach was rocky, and most beaches in Mo Bay are..... I suggest going to Ocho Rios or Negril if beach is important to you. We went on a day trip to Negril and instantly regretted not staying in Negril from the get go.... Negril is a bit more pricey but totally worth the extra 200-300$ per person. I liked The Riu Tropical Bay....
  • lawandfitness
    Options
    We are going in July. My husband has been 3 times and stayed at some resort in Negrile. I'll have to get the name. We are going bold and bare and staying at Hedonism. :smokin:
    Looking to go bare or go bold at night?? :wink: :laugh: :blushing:
  • sizzle74
    Options
    We are going in July. My husband has been 3 times and stayed at some resort in Negrile. I'll have to get the name. We are going bold and bare and staying at Hedonism. :smokin:

My husband and I don't like clothes. LOL! And we really like um.......:devil:
  • rachelgoutos
    Options

I think my husband has talked about that. Do they stop from time to time and sell Red Stripe beer in the villages and stuff like that?

Just went with my husband, who is Jamaican for almost 3 weeks, 1 week at a resort in Ochos Rios and almost 2 weeks with family at our house there in Kingston (i.e. my hubby's house he had before he moved to the US as its not really a tourist destination unless you go to the bob marley museum lol). The bars on the side of the road do sell all sorts of liquor and beer, and dont feel afraid to go to a local bar. You can also walk around the streets with drinks, if you feel comfortable enough. We stayed at Sunset, which was fine for what we wanted and is a little cheaper than sandals or the other more expensive resorts, but it all depends on what kind of experience you want.

If you do drive yourself or in a charter and you see people on the side of the road selling pepper shrimp or pepper crawfish, stop and get some. They are delish! They also tend to be super spicy, so beware. Also, unless you feel like paying a ridiculous amount of money, I wouldnt get my hair braided on the beach (maybe a few braids would be ok and not too expensive). If you can, go to a local salon and get it done there. The ladies on the beach overcharge by a HUGE margin. When I was approached and was told how much, my step son (whose Jamaican) told them they were crazy and that they couldn't charge me so much. If you go local and off the beach for that, its a win-win...you spend less money, and you help out someone local. If you do venture out in the town, just ask someone from the hotel where the good areas are and, for the sake of being obvious, venture out during the daylight. I went out at night, but i had my hubby and teenage stepson, both of who are very protective of me and since they are local they know what is what.
  • lawandfitness
    Options

Ive heard bad thingsabout people getting in taxis and getting robbed blind.

We went out with a taxi driver to show us around, and he took us to Negril for the day. Some points were a little scary (but more because I was out of my element and didn't know what to expect) but he was a really nice guy and we felt safe the whole time.

Plus, at the hotel we stayed at if passengers were leaving with a taxi driver, there was a security both at the exit and the taxi driver would have to provide details bout where he was taking us etc. and they would take down the License plate number...
  • lawandfitness
    Options

Have you been there before?? Me and hubby like :devil: too LOL but never been to a resort like Hedonism
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I say I say I say, my wife just went to the West Indies.

Jamaica?

No she went of her own accord.

(I'm sorry, I'll go and sit on the stairs and think about what I just did)
  • sizzle74
    Options

Have you been there before?? Me and hubby like :devil: too LOL but never been to a resort like Hedonism

No. But we have been to places with a similar vibe here in our city. :)
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest Sandals for a couples only resort, they are awesome!
  • bubba42511
    Options

No. But we have been to places with a similar vibe here in our city. :)

Has this turned into a swinging topic?