Books: Are you reading anything?

Options

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, Iam almost done, I love ALL of her books that I have read so far,but they are not for light reading they are all on controversial subjects, that let you see how all sides feel and deal with it. I have to say this one and The Pact are my favorites so far I love to read and am always looking for good books
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Birds of America, a collection of short stories by Lorrie Moore. Love!
  • JoD929
    JoD929 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Persuasion by Jane Austen. I just finished Sense and Sensibility. I figured I would just read through Jane Austen's novels.
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just finished Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain. Recommend it if anyones a fan of his. It's not amazing but it is good.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh! Next up is The Flamethrowers, by Rachel Kushner.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I am ccurently reading Under the never sky and Unholy Ghosts,lol, I have reader's a.d.d bad...I constantly switch between books. :) If any of you are on goodreads add me, I would love new book ideas!!
    http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/9266446-laura
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I read, a lot. I have read at least half of the books listed here. Comments on a few of them:

Under the Banner of Heaven- it is a scary religion!

The Help- this was my childhood in Nashville in the early 60s. My dad was an Episcopal minister and struggled with the racism in the parish.

Anne Perry's books- have loved everything she has written

Sara Perotski (not spelling that right. writes about a female private eye in Chicago. She is from U of Chicago, my school) Very well done series with a touch of "home" for me.

I mostly read things like history, politics, black studies, religious issues, medicine and psychology. I get them from the library, so do not have the complete title and authors. A few of the most recent ones are :

Looking for Trouble- about the mixed messages of Jim Crow, such as blacks were criticized for being uneducated, but penalized by lynching if they tried to educate themselves. Lots of no win situations and horrible mistreatment. I did not understand the black rage until I read this book.

500 Days- about the first 500 days after 9/11. Really enlightening.

What is Wrong with White People- about the split in the Democratic party where the middle class whites joined the Republican party and the politics behind it.

On average I read a book a day. Not serial detective stories- those are an evening read. I am disabled, so can read a lot and am an extremely fast reader. Just genetics- never trained to read so fast. It is a problem at times- cannot afford to buy books since I read them so fast.
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    I just started reading Everneath by Brodi Ashton. I'm only 30 pages in so I don't know how it is yet.

I just finished reading The Unidentified Redhead and The Redhead Revealed by Alice Clayton. They are both hilarious. :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    reading The Beach by Alex Garland right now but I haven't had time the past few weeks to finish it
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading The Stupidest Angel; A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore.

All of his work is hysterical. I'd recommend Fool and Lamb too.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just started reading the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, don't know how it is yet as I am only a few pages in but I think it might be delicious!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I just read The Professor and the Madman. It's an excellent work of nonfiction. It's about the making of the Oxford English Dictionary and the people that contributed to it, one of which turned out to be a man locked away in an insane asylum.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading Therapy by David Lodge
  • DanaeMonique
    DanaeMonique Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am still reading The Shack and just started reading Jesus is ___________ by Judah Smith. Great books!
  • chinasaurus86
    Options
    I"m currently reading LoTR: The Two Towers and Chernobyl: A Documentary Story by Iurii Shcherbak.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Creatures series. Movie of the same name came out not too long ago. Very enjoyable reading.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Nutrition for Dummies
  • melmargirly
    melmargirly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just finished Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda... A good read :)
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    The Good Wife's Guide
    Called Home
    Desperate
    Unglued
  • npeery
    npeery Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eagerly awaiting the oh so trashy yet highly entertaining last book in the Sookie Stackhouse series