Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Only open to friends.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I first joined mine was private, but eventually I opened it to friends. It has no effect. My eating is the same either way. Other factors in my life are more likely to influence my eating. But, it became more interactive on here for me to open it.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Open to friends and I love when my friends are open as well...yes, I do go through their diary when I can...helps me think of new foods to try!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Mine is public...I really don't care what random strangers on the internets think about my food diary. It has also helped a few people to look at mine
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you get out of it. I don't need other people to hold me accountable, I do that for myself. I'm not embarrassed, just don't see the point of getting comments/criticism/suggestions/congratulations on what I eat. Other people get a lot out of that, so it's good for them to have it open. Each to their own. :drinker:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Public. I'm not bothered if people know that I eat junk sometimes. :)
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have mine public. If you are embarrassed to let other people know what youre eating, then you are defintely doing something wrong. The accountability is important to have, do make your diary public. As a side note, though, Im not sure that people actually check others' diaries. I never do

This is such garbage. I don't need to be accountable to random strangers on the internet. Perhaps you've never had experience with disordered eating, but it can be VERY hard to overcome. As someone who has struggled with binge eating for most of my life, the changes I'm making are very personal. I've spent a lot of time lying to people about what I eat and knowing my food logs would be public would not help anything. If my therapist, doctor and I think I'm doing the right thing, what qualifications do you have to tell me that I'm wrong?

You want your diary public, awesome. Don't judge other people who don't. You have no idea what they have went through.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My friends can view mine, I am here for my health and the support to keep right. I like the accountability, high fives and good jobs and even the Uh ohh's... honesty is not so bad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have mine public. If you are embarrassed to let other people know what youre eating, then you are defintely doing something wrong. The accountability is important to have, do make your diary public. As a side note, though, Im not sure that people actually check others' diaries. I never do
    Do you assume everyone who has a private diary is "embarrassed"?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Public....I want to be accountable for what I am eating and how much I am eating. Honestly, I don't remember 1 single person saying anything bad about my diary and I try to log everything, including my chocolate foil covered eggs that I eat almost daily! The only time I comment on someone's is when they ask or they are under calories for several days in a row. I do try to be constructive and helpful when commenting. I don't see the point in making anyone feel bad about their diary.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I can not figure out WHY anyone would hide their diaries. It desn't make any sense to me. You eat, you log. People see it. Not really a big deal.

I fully understand why some people keep theirs private. There are a lot of food nazis on MFP that are quick to criticize. Some people are more sensitive to criticism than others.

We are all in this journey togehter and ALONE. If that makes sense. If someone is going to criticize what you eat, there are two words for those people: F$CK OFF.

My diary has been open since I joined 14 months ago. In 14 months, NOT one person has even attempted to criticize. And if they did, I would have told them to F$CK OFF.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I like to look at other peoples' diaries for meal ideas so it just makes sense to leave mine open for the same reason. I also don't actually care what other people think about what I eat, I'm the one eating it.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    bump