Trainers say getting nauseous isn't normal. Is it?

Options
124»

Replies

• gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My other half throws up after running on a regular basis. It is just the body not wanting to use energy on digesting food as it needs it for your body to recover.

disclaimer - I could never purposely have an ED (like bulimia)...

BUT - this would be awesome...lol. I keep hoping for a good old fashioned 5 day virus. And I'm only SORT of kidding.

lol..I keep saying I want to get back to my "flu weight" :laugh:
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you train harder than you normally are used too then yes it's fine. But after a while of training that hard it's not fine because you should be used to it.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on days I do cross-fit...The routines are out of my norm and little to no rest leaves me feeling sick everytime. I agree, this shouldn't be something to strive for and hopefully you don't have this feeling every workout session.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have been know to puke while working out with a personal trainer. It happens.
  • xfit3
    xfit3 Posts: 3
    Options
    It's not abmormal especially if you are working out hard comparable to your limits. Definately consider the nutrition aspect. Make sure your body is fueled for what you are asking it to do through an appropriately timed pre-workout meal/supplement. You don't want a full belly, but you will need the energy (glygogen replacement and protein/amino acids). If you are working out for a long duration you may also need an interim source of energy (I've found dried dates are excellent source of energy with a high glycemic index) for a during or post workout snack. Make sure you are also getting a quick source of protein as well as there is some evidence that it will help prevent muscle catabization and return to muscle growth quicker, with appropriately timed pre/during/post nutrition.
  • Eons44
    Eons44 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try chewing some spearmint/peppermint gum while working out. It helps reduce nausea a lot.
  • TChoi2013
    Options
    I often feel nauseous when doing intense upper leg work like lunges and/or squats with weights. I'm not sure why, and I've often felt baffled because of it. I usually push through it, but if the nausea gets intense, I back off for 30 seconds before starting up again.

I don't think it has anything to do with nutrition for me personally because I know that I'm fueling my body adequately.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Becoming nauseated during exercise is called exercise induced nausea. It's one of the fight or flight syndromes & it's also found in the animal world. The fact that your trainers seem clueless about this effect speaks to their lack of credibility. Every Sunday dozens of NFL professional football players are hurling before & during their games. Boxers & other athletes do also.

The reason for vomiting during physical situations is your body coping with the energy demand . (both physical and emotional). When the body is put into survival mode it has to prioritise which systems to support....and in a flight or fight situation, digestion is a large drain of valuable resources.

Consider the sluggish feeling after that big ole Thanksgiving feast, if you are like most, you cant do much more than hold down the cushions on the couch!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Feeling nauseous is perfectly normal and actually a good sign. It's your body learning to work properly again during the change over from burning sugar/carbs foods that people are now dependent on and switching to FAT.

Boom!!!

This isnt right.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Okay, first I have to say the word is NAUSEATED. Nauseous means you ARE causing nausea, i.e. "a nauseas smell"

Now that that's out of the way, it is normal but not really a good thing. If you are feeling sick, you should really take a break.

Cmon, did you really have to post this?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Try chewing some spearmint/peppermint gum while working out. It helps reduce nausea a lot.

And ginger! Helps with sea sickness as well.
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yep, like many people have said already...I get to that 'need a bucket' stage quite often....usually when pushing really hard at the end of a RPM (Spin) class. Trainers - of all people - should understand that!!!!
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i have a (much fitter than me) friend i train with and if I ever complain she yells "are you actually vomiting right now? NO. well then you're fine, keep moving"
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 trainers, from 2 different gyms, become baffled when I tell them how I get nauseous after working out really hard. They both looked at me like I was crazy, and acted like they've never heard of anyone getting nauseous from working out before. I felt stupid.

Is this rare?? :\
    They're not qualified then. Nauseating symptoms after a hard workout aren't uncommon. Heck, there were even times when I've had a couple of over the top leg workouts, I upchucked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

'They're not qualified then.'

Is that part of the course? "...Ok, we've covered Cardio; now onto vomiting..." lol
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    *double post*