Cow milk, almond milk, flax seed milk, soy milk.....

Options
With so many milk options around, which do you think provides the most nutrition?

I found flax seed milk in my grocery store. Low in calories and sounds nutritious! I used to use almond milk a lot until I discovered this option.

Thoughts?

Replies

• shella_bella
    Options
    here we go...
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    here we go...

Sorry does this get asked often?
  • SUSIE2662
    Options
    I like Almond milk on my porridge but I have skimmed cows milk in my coffee. Not heard of Flax Seed Milk in the UK
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It depends on your nutritional needs. I use almond milk because I can't have milk protein (casein) and I need a good source of calcium. Unsweetened almond milk has more calcium than cow's milk, and has no sugar, but it's not a good source of protein. That's ok because I have other protein sources. I've never tried flax milk but I'm willing to give it a try. :drinker:
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I like Almond milk on my porridge but I have skimmed cows milk in my coffee. Not heard of Flax Seed Milk in the UK

yeah unfortunately almond milk does not go well in coffee! well the unsweetened almond milk that I have tried did not lol
  • shella_bella
    Options
    here we go...

Sorry does this get asked often?

Not this particular question that I know of. But I have the feeling that the question will start the "we're not meant to drink cow's milk" thread all over again
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

yeah unfortunately almond milk does not go well in coffee! well the unsweetened almond milk that I have tried did not lol

Try this:

Take the amount of almond milk you want for coffee and put it into your coffee mug and leave get it to room temperature either by microwaving it for 10-20 seconds or leaving it unchilled for an hour.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    That might make sense if women produced milk BEFORE giving birth. Cows have been bred to produce milk without having calves first. You can actually do the same thing to human women (there's a whole breastfeeding fetish).

By the way, even if the male calves were killed, then you would just get veal. Delicious, delicious veal.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    That might make sense if women produced milk BEFORE giving birth. Cows have been bred to produce milk without having calves first. You can actually do the same thing to human women (there's a whole breastfeeding fetish).

By the way, even if the male calves were killed, then you would just get veal. Delicious, delicious veal.

You are misinformed. Cows are kept in a constant state of lactation through annual pregnancy - a way of doubling profits from one animal. The cows are then slaughtered when they get tot he end of their profitable milk yield - a fine reward for an exhausting life.
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I thought some male cows, our bulls, were killed for veal and others left to grow for beef, steak and leather?
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk in 2006.
    I limit my soy, so I usually have rice milk. Organic vanilla rice milk to be technical.
    I know almond milk is really good for you, I just normally get rice milk.
    Haven't tried flax seed milk yet.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I use organic soy milk as I hope this is produced in a more environmentally friendly way. Some products are better in coffee than others I find.

Have tried rice milk but found it a bit thin for my liking.

Would like to try almond milk, but it's the extra few pennies per litre that are putting me off - maybe as a treat.
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    Cows milk..... you do realize they keep the cows pregnant all year round just so you can have your cows milk right? And that after the calves are born only the females are kept & the boys are then killed at 5 days old because they are not of any use to the dairy farmers... you know that right? The cows are then made pregnant again to keep producing milk & the cycle starts all over again.

So in fact if people STOPPED demanding dairy foods/milk then none of this would go on.

A cow will produce milk for as long as she is milked, re-impregnation is not necessary. All the farmers I know take very good care of their animals, it is not in their interest to do otherwise.

That said, I do like almond milk. :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You can make your own almond milk. It is very easy, quick, and less expensive An added bonus is no preservatives, and you can flavor it any way to your personal liking. The possibilities are endless. I just began making it a couple of weeks ago.
    Also, the ground almonds you can dry in the oven and use as flour substitute.

You can either google the recipe or do a search here.
  • shella_bella
    Options
    Cows milk..... you do realize they keep the cows pregnant all year round just so you can have your cows milk right? And that after the calves are born only the females are kept & the boys are then killed at 5 days old because they are not of any use to the dairy farmers... you know that right? The cows are then made pregnant again to keep producing milk & the cycle starts all over again.

So in fact if people STOPPED demanding dairy foods/milk then none of this would go on.

A cow will produce milk for as long as she is milked, re-impregnation is not necessary. All the farmers I know take very good care of their animals, it is not in their interest to do otherwise.

^^ This. They only need to get them pregnant once. And milking them is actually a huge relief for them. Just like a woman could continue producing milk as long as the child is still breastfeeding or she is pumping. They're not constantly impregnated.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i use cow milk....rarely.hardly ever actually. but I do use it

almond milk i use in everything. dark chocolate almond milk, reg almond milk. yup love it all
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

WHAT???? OMG where are you from. this does not happen in australia, this would never happen in australia, they are dairy cows and bred for lactating...to me..a farmer..this is just a crazy comment. Farmers are the backbone of our country and all respect to them :)
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use skimmed cows milk
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

^^ This. They only need to get them pregnant once. And milking them is actually a huge relief for them. Just like a woman could continue producing milk as long as the child is still breastfeeding or she is pumping. They're not constantly impregnated.

BOTH OF THESE REPLIES. I think we've all seen or read of women who breastfeed their children well into childhood. As long as there is adequate nutrition and lactation is being stimulated (by feeding or milking), there is milk.
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options

You do realise that she asked about nutrition and not ethics right?

I'm really not sure at all which is most nutritious, I was looking forward to seeing the replies...until I read them!