Cow milk, almond milk, flax seed milk, soy milk.....

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Cows milk..... you do realize they keep the cows pregnant all year round just so you can have your cows milk right? And that after the calves are born only the females are kept & the boys are then killed at 5 days old because they are not of any use to the dairy farmers... you know that right? The cows are then made pregnant again to keep producing milk & the cycle starts all over again.

So in fact if people STOPPED demanding dairy foods/milk then none of this would go on.

Lol, you do like posting rubbish like this don't you? Not sure if you are a permanent troll or actually believe the things you come out with.

Anyway...

For tea and coffee, I normally use cows milk or goats milk. Goats milk is quite a bit creamier than cows so you don't need a lot, and it's slightly lower in cals.

For cereal, I used almond milk or rice milk, if I can get it. They are both pretty similar, much lower in cals than the dairy alternatives and the sweetned versions are lovely with porridge.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cows milk..... you do realize they keep the cows pregnant all year round just so you can have your cows milk right? And that after the calves are born only the females are kept & the boys are then killed at 5 days old because they are not of any use to the dairy farmers... you know that right? The cows are then made pregnant again to keep producing milk & the cycle starts all over again.

So in fact if people STOPPED demanding dairy foods/milk then none of this would go on.

WHAT???? OMG where are you from. this does not happen in australia, this would never happen in australia, they are dairy cows and bred for lactating...to me..a farmer..this is just a crazy comment. Farmers are the backbone of our country and all respect to them :)

I'm sure they don't do it everywhere in the US, or at all. Until I see non-biased proof, I don't believe that farmers would be so cruel to their livestock.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    That might make sense if women produced milk BEFORE giving birth. Cows have been bred to produce milk without having calves first. You can actually do the same thing to human women (there's a whole breastfeeding fetish).

By the way, even if the male calves were killed, then you would just get veal. Delicious, delicious veal.

You are my new hero.

But seriously, this topic wasn't about animal welfare, it was about the nutrition. I'm pretty everyone understands the process of milk being produced. I have no constructive info on the nutrition, but it's something I've been wondering about so...

BUMP!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ehh ithink they all have different benefits :) depends what you're looking for! taste wise i like almond milk best. avoid too much soy; it has benefits but also causes a lot of hormone issues if you have too much. also its often genetically modefied and the agricultural story of it is often sketch so if you do get soy products make sure theyre organic!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I choose almond milk for the calcium. I had osteoporosis ( now, after treatment, osteopenia) so it is the better option for me.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

This is why I drink almond milk!!!!
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm full cream cows milk or goats milk for me thanks! :)
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you truely knew what went into the production of pretty much anything in the shops then you probably wouldn't want it anymore. It'd be a great dieting technique!
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they don't do it everywhere in the US, or at all. Until I see non-biased proof, I don't believe that farmers would be so cruel to their livestock.

If you have Netflix then there's at least a few documentaries on there that show you just how cruel farming and the dairy industry can be (note the word CAN...they're not all bad but the bad ones are far more common than you'd maybe think). There's a particular one I liked but can't remember the name of now (might have been food inc) because they showed a really awesome farmer who looked after his animals as well as the more gruesome factory farming. It's something worth looking into if you're not aware of what your food goes through and want to find out. I've never seen any proof of the specific things that the former poster spoke about though!
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened almond milk with my protein shakes, and chocolate soy milk as a treat.

The only reason I had stopped drinking cow's milk in the first place was reading an article claiming in some people it can cause cystic acne. I figured it was worth a shot as I've tried almost everything, and my ance cleared up! So, now I don't really touch it.
  • shella_bella
    Options
    :laugh: & sorry OP for not replying with a helpful post. Nutrition depends on what you're looking for really, as they all have different benefits. I drink cow's milk & almond milk just depends on what I'm in the mood for.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

If you have Netflix then there's at least a few documentaries on there that show you just how cruel farming and the dairy industry can be (note the word CAN...they're not all bad but the bad ones are far more common than you'd maybe think). There's a particular one I liked but can't remember the name of now (might have been food inc) because they showed a really awesome farmer who looked after his animals as well as the more gruesome factory farming. It's something worth looking into if you're not aware of what your food goes through and want to find out. I've never seen any proof of the specific things that the former poster spoke about though!

I don't dispute that there are some farmers out there that are cruel and crappy to their livestock. It sucks. I can't watch those types of documentaries though. I can watch a horror movie where people are getting chainsawed to bits, but will tear up and get upset if I see anything depicting cruelty to animals, even if it's only implied in a movie.
  • ipw133
    ipw133 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Flax seed milk.....how fascinating. Flax seed is superb for reducing Cholesterol. I will certainly look that one out.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I drink about 1.5 gallons of whole milk a week. I also eat a lot of cheese and whey protein-both also made from milk. I would not know what to do without milk. I have been to dairy farms and the cows are treated very well- open field grazing, cleaned daily, etc.- a nice symbiotic relationship with humans.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

But the love of veal will continue
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have tried all the different kinds of milk just to see how they tasted. None taste as good as cow milk to me. Coconut milk is my favorite non-cow milk. Flax milk and almond milk are fine but I don't like their after taste. Rice milk doesn't do anything for me. But try them to see if you like them. Use what you like, don't choose based off people posting things like " we were not made to consume cows milk".
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate dairy: raw goat or sheep milk is most nutritious. Skim milk is sugary junk...seriously. If you can't tollerate dairy, like me, organic enriched almond or coconut milk is your next best bet, just make sure to stick to the unsweetened variety.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Skimmed milk has the same amount of calcium as other cows milk so not sure about the sugary junk comment :ohwell:
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like Almond milk on my porridge but I have skimmed cows milk in my coffee. Not heard of Flax Seed Milk in the UK

yeah unfortunately almond milk does not go well in coffee! well the unsweetened almond milk that I have tried did not lol

I just switched to almond milk and have been using the unsweetened kind, but vanilla flavoured (is that an oxymoron?), I find it a nice flavour in coffee :)