0 calorie peanut butter

Options

Replies

• _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love my peanut butter...but if I just want to add the taste of peanut butter to things like shakes or whatever, I use the PB2...I do not add water to it and put it on toast or anything like that...it just wasn't the same deliciousness as the real thing.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    PB2 is only good in smoothies where it's masked by a bunch of other flavors.

I make almond butter in my food processor. It's so yummy, sugar-free, and full of healthy fats. The almonds aren't salted, so I save on sodium too.

Just toss them in and go or do you put in a little oil as well?
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    EEEWWWW!!!!!! I only use the regular PB2 in my protein shakes and Chocolate PB2 taste like a chemical bomb was set off in my mouth!! Oddly my kid likes it though. :noway:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I just don't understand this fascination with replacement "food." If I like something, then I'm going to eat it. If I'm cutting calories, then I eat less of it. Almond milk is not milk. Zero cal peanut butter and PB2 are not peanut butter. Light beer isn't beer. Carob is not chocolate. Turkey bacon is not bacon. I'm not knocking these things for people that truly enjoy them, but why eat something that doesn't really satisfy the craving?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Real peanut butter has protein, healthy fats, and just tastes damn good, try Jif Natural, after reading the labels on about a dozen jars I found this to be one of the healthiest overall as well as perfectly creamy and rich with flavor.

I'd read those labels again. Jif Natural contains 10% added oil and sugar. Natural peanut butter should contain only peanuts or peanuts and salt. What is the point of adding oil to peanut butter when it is already so high in fat??
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I mix PB2 (the flavor that has chocolate) with greek yogurt, i love it. PB2 can go in to a ton of different recipes, obviously eating it dry makes your mouth stick together.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Real peanut butter has protein, healthy fats, and just tastes damn good, try Jif Natural, after reading the labels on about a dozen jars I found this to be one of the healthiest overall as well as perfectly creamy and rich with flavor.

I'd read those labels again. Jif Natural contains 10% added oil and sugar. Natural peanut butter should contain only peanuts or peanuts and salt. What is the point of adding oil to peanut butter when it is already so high in fat??

They don't just add oil, they replace some of the peanut oil with palm oil because it's stable at room temperature, meaning it (generally) won't separate. The nutrition, except for the sugar and the fact that palm oil is a saturated fat, is almost identical to peanut butter without added oil. I have no problem with the miniscule amount of sugar, and I actually intentionally add saturated fats to my diet, so I have no problem with those ingredients.
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like both.. depending on what I am making or craving! PB2 for my Banana/Chocolate Protein Shake and my 1-2-3 Cakes and the jarred for Banana smeared with Peanut Butter or just out of the jar snack! Than there is also Almond and/or Chocolate Flavored Peanut butter as well!! Mmmmmmmm
  • rininger85
    Options
    Just do an extra workout and eat the real stuff.

this.

How dare people eat fake peanut butter.

agreed, give me Jif or give me death!
  • rininger85
    Options
    For me personally, I just don't understand this fascination with replacement "food." If I like something, then I'm going to eat it. If I'm cutting calories, then I eat less of it. Almond milk is not milk. Zero cal peanut butter and PB2 are not peanut butter. Light beer isn't beer. Carob is not chocolate. Turkey bacon is not bacon. I'm not knocking these things for people that truly enjoy them, but why eat something that doesn't really satisfy the craving?

turkey bacon is amazing... I eat it quite often now, but I never used to eat bacon at all, its just been the last six months or so that I started eating it, so I immediately decided I needed something healthier so I could eat it more and I LOVE turkey bacon... tastes amazing to me =)
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    IMHO....if the ingredients don't read as one of the following, it is not peanut butter and I won't eat it.

Ingredients: Peanuts
    Ingredients: Peanuts, Salt

Any more words than that and it's a no go for me
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options

this.

How dare people eat fake peanut butter.

agreed, give me Jif or give me death!

This, except you can keep the Jif and make mine Trader Joe's natural unsalted.

And for the person who said (correctly) that turkey bacon isn't bacon---it's not, but at least it is real turkey, rather than Frankenfood.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've had that stuff! It is horrid! Walden Farms salad dressings are okay, but any of their other products are pretty much flavored hair jel. They don't even taste like they should be in your mouth!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Why isn't light beer, beer? I can understand the others, as they are substitutions for the real thing. But light beer is still brewed beer.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    crunchy Almond butter..is heavenly!!
  • ladybug2606
    ladybug2606 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    better N peanut butter is pretty tasty IMO. At 100 calories a serving and 2.5 of fat it is definitely my go-to when I need a fix :)
    http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Why isn't light beer, beer? I can understand the others, as they are substitutions for the real thing. But light beer is still brewed beer.

For the same reason that egg whites are not "eggs". Sure, yea, light beer is brewed, but there ends the similarities. For the record, I don't think Budweiser is beer either. And just to avoid any misunderstanding, I said "for me personally." What other people eat or drink is none of my business, I just don't understand the approach.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    honeyvilles powdered PB is delicious. have not tried PB2, the honeyville is much cheaper. if you buy a case it works out to .37 an ounce. and it stores for 5-10 yrs. if you buy one can it is .50 an ounce. still cheap. and delicious. it has a sweet peanut taste, not a roasted peanut taste. and that's my .02
    almost forgot, 60 cals per 2 Tbls
  • sjanney007
    Options

Amen!
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    better N peanut butter is pretty tasty IMO. At 100 calories a serving and 2.5 of fat it is definitely my go-to when I need a fix :)
    http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php

And what does it have in it?

Ingredients: PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

And when you read the nutrition label, it's got twice the sodium and twice the carbs compared to a real organic crunchy peanut butter.