Any weight loss from those who stopped drinking alcohol

Options
Hi All

new here....

I stopped drinking wine about 2 weeks ago( I use to have 2-3 glasses per night) -in the hopes that it will help with losing some weight-
any success with anyone?

Thanks!

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I gave up alcohol I was already in decent shape but wanted to get even better. I lost 2 pants sizes, a shirt size and lost body fat. Alcohol for me anyway, did more harm than good. I'm done with it.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've just finished 12 weeks here and have lost 12lbs, I put a pound on Christmas week and had 2 weeks with no loss - the 2 weeks I stopped drinking! I guess everything in moderation? I understand the benefits of not drinking but enjoy it - as I enjoy smoking.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 34 lb and I drink in moderation, and smoke cigars! I am going to have some Scotch and some guinness today, in fact!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It does not change anything for me really!
  • tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yep. Not only is it less calories, it allows you to sleep healthier, thus giving you more energy to exercise.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 while drinking still, but I've cut way back on my drinking in the last 2 months and have lost almost 20 lbs in that time. I think a lot of it though is that I would get lazy and not log my beer cals. I think it can help with weight loss, but you can also "budget" for it and still enjoy a glass of wine once in a while.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i have lost continually while still drinking, and not always in moderation. I will note that I didnt drink for 6 weeks and i got over a plateau that i had been at for months, and dropped about 5 more pounds, however, i am not confident that the alcohol alone was responsible or even had a major role, there were many other things that came into play that probably contributed more.

obviously you can quit drinking and see an improvement, that saves you a few hundred calories every day so thats going to add up, and if you make bad food decisions while drinking then it will reduce even more calories so thats going to lead to a loss, hut i dont think its just the drinking...for example, i still drink and i go to the gym...if i stopped drinking AND i stopped going to the gym, i dont think that i would continue to see a loss. If I stopped drinking because i wanted to eat my calories instead of drink them, and so instead of drinking three beers every friday i ate half a pizza every friday...is the result going to be different than when i was drinking? I dont think so. now i know drinking causes all kinds of bad things to happen to your body, but that wasnt your question...as far as losing alone, i dont think it is a make it or break it.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A drink here and there won't kill ya ... just make sure to plan accordingly and log it when you have a beer or a glass of wine.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    stop drinking . . . :noway:

find a way to fit it into your daily/weekly intake or bust your *kitten* at the gym to earn it.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You might not lose weight but you might lose inches. I found that drinking left me bloated.
    I'm not drinking at the moment due to medication I'm taking so it'll be interesting to see if it helps with extra loss.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I stick to only red wines now and limit myself to like only a drink with my supper meal instead of any type of beer or sweeter drinks and I don't drink real often and I have noticed a little loss from that.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Like you, I used to drink 2-3 glasses of wine each night. Ok, let's really say 1/2 of a bottle. I gave it up a year ago, as part of using MFP, wanting to keep track of calories overall, and wanting to eat healthy. I say "gave it up" but actually cut back from 2-3 glasses per night to maybe two glasses a week. I don't miss it, and honestly I FEEL better without it.

As another poster commented -- it really improves your sleep, metabolism, and overall energy level. I think if you are trying to improve health overall, drinking alcohol can truly become that special treat every once in a while instead of that mindless, automatic nightly habit.

Personally, I want to really be able to enjoy a fine glass of red wine with a good steak or a hearty plate of pasta. Changing my overall daily attention to a healthy lifestyle including calorie accountabilty and exercise allows for that.

You'll know when it's time to give it up or drastically cut back -- as part of your overall goals. Give it a try and see if you feel better. It's a wonderful motivation to change that habit.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    i remember a conversation with a personal trainer about 2 years back.
    PT: 2 drinks a day! do you know how many calories that adds up to over a week?
    me: Yes.
    PT: Any way that we can cut that back to 1 per day?
    me: No way.

I made some really good progress with losing weight by fitting the alcohol calories into my allocation and working out like hell. However, that being said, I have become convinced over the last two years that 1) losing weight is easier without the empty alcohol calories and 2) alcohol seems to have a more negative impact on my weight than what the calories would indicate.

therefore, my current plan is pretty much to only drink on the weekends...Monday weigh-ins suck!
  • nathxxxx
    nathxxxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this true but drinking and eating make you fat but drinking with low calories intake may actually increase weight lost because alcohol is taking a lot of energy to metabolism. Look at alcoholic people, they are very skinny.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    stop drinking . . . :noway:

find a way to fit it into your daily/weekly intake or bust your *kitten* at the gym to earn it.

Why is that so hard to grasp....
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no, BOTTOMS UP/
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eliminated all alcohol for the month of January and lost 11 lbs (well, combined with eliminating all wheat and all processed sugar products). I definitely found that I had fewer snack cravings in the evenings when I wasn't finishing my 3rd or 4th glass of wine. I think I am sleeping better and I know I eliminated about 3500 calories a week by foregoing the adult beverages. Since the beginning of the month I have added back in wine (and a martini last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary) as long as I off-set it with exercise.
  • nathxxxx
    nathxxxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Easy to say but hard hard hard to do! Thanks for the motivation ;)
  • hrdted
    Options
    I have had an evening cocktail or more all along my journey here. In my experience, as long as you log what you consume and meet your daily calorie goal, you're good. Calories in...... Calories out. I've lost 175 pounds and still going.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i remember a conversation with a personal trainer about 2 years back.
    PT: 2 drinks a day! do you know how many calories that adds up to over a week?
    me: Yes.
    PT: Any way that we can cut that back to 1 per day?
    me: No way.

I made some really good progress with losing weight by fitting the alcohol calories into my allocation and working out like hell. However, that being said, I have become convinced over the last two years that 1) losing weight is easier without the empty alcohol calories and 2) alcohol seems to have a more negative impact on my weight than what the calories would indicate.

therefore, my current plan is pretty much to only drink on the weekends...Monday weigh-ins suck!

That is exactly what I'm doing. I have had 3 or 4...or 5... glasses of wine every night for years and years. I cut way, way back 4 weeks ago, so I can focus on my nutrition and workouts. I buy a bottle of wine on Saturdays and have a few glasses and the rest on Sunday if there's any left. I LOVE wine! However, I feel phenomenal since I quit drinking during the week. I did have a bit of wine Wednesday night, and I didn't like the feeling of drinking during the week...lol. I would never have said that 6 months ago.

Anyway, no it hasn't made me lose weight because I replaced the empty calories with nutricious food, but it has made me much more energetic, and I just feel better. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to on Saturdays ;)