Discount for non-bratty kids

Options
atamrowski
atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
I read this article today on Yahoo regarding a restaurant giving a family a discount for having "well-behaved kids". While I think the gesture is quite rewarding, I don't think I necessarily agree with it and here's why:

While I think this is a nice gesture, I think it's quite unfair to other patrons who have kids that may display "bad manners". Some children may exhibit bad manners in public due to medical conditions, such as autism, Tourette's, or another mental disorder. What constitutes a "well-behaved kid" in the eyes of this restaurant?

What are your thoughts?

Here's the link to the story
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/restaurant-gives-family-discount-having-well-behaved-kids-192500505.html#!Irgh

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I think that it's ridiculous.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I'm for it.

Ms. M.F.P 2013
    M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Certified Relationship advice giver
    Never loses anything, ever
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

I think it's quite unfair....

What are your thoughts?

Life isn't fair. Stop expecting it to be.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I think it's quite unfair....

What are your thoughts?

Life isn't fair. Stop expecting it to be.

Ding, ding, ding!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If your kid makes me look over at your table because of noise or for any other reason, you should be kicked out of said restaurant!
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Why does everything have to be fair!. . .lord. . Life's not fair. . My kid is completely hyper. . He's a great kid and he has good manners, but he couldn't sit still if his life depended on it. .He would NOT qualify for this discount. . However, why can't we as a society let OTHER people (including privately owned businesses) do what they want!? I'll take him to beef-o-brady's where nobody cares that he's squirming in his seat. . I'm going to teach my kid not to run around looking for excuses to get his feelings hurt or finding ways to 'feel' excluded. . boo hoo. .
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If your kid makes me look over at your table because of noise or for any other reason, you should be kicked out of said restaurant!
    As a parent......

...I absolutely agree. Every time my child acts up in public, either my husband or I will take him outside/to the bathroom to reprimand him and wait til he calms down. Other patrons shouldn't suffer because my child is throwing a tantrum.

That being said, if someone is annoyed by my child's laughter, they can kindly eff off.

I like the idea.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Good.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I thought this meant a discount for purchase.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I sat next to two teenage girls (at least 15) yesterday at a restaurant singing Taylor Swift songs the whole time they were there. Can I kick them out too?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As a parent......

...I absolutely agree. Every time my child acts up in public, either my husband or I will take him outside/to the bathroom to reprimand him and wait til he calms down. Other patrons shouldn't suffer because my child is throwing a tantrum.

That being said, if someone is annoyed by my child's laughter, they can kindly eff off.

I like the idea.

swoon
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I sat next to two teenage girls (at least 15) yesterday at a restaurant singing Taylor Swift songs the whole time they were there. Can I kick them out too?

As long as I can steal your bacon while you're otherwise occupied with kicking them out.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

AGREED.

There are other patrons that come into a restaurant expecting a nice dining experience. After all, they're paying the restaurant for their services and food as well as the atmosphere.

If you can't control your kid, DON'T take them out in public where they're going to piss everyone off.
    I applaud that restaurant's choice to reward parents for keeping their kids in line.
    It's sad that this is what it's come to though.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    if you don't like the restaurants policies, don't eat there. Nobody's forcing you to.
  • DaraEden
    DaraEden Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    well if you were carrying a tray with ten to fifteen drinks and there were parents who were quite happy to let their darlings run around, obviously you would be pissed off if one of them ran into you and spilled the contents of your tray.

It's not very respectful to staff and other customers. Those kind of customers also take up a lot more time than others because they need extra things. Like, I really like kids and don't mind if they make noise and all. However, if they are wrecking the place and tearing around and so on - I'd have a problem.
    So I agree!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I know this will sound bad but teenagers misbehaving at a restaurant is WAY worst than toddlers. Little kids I can understand because they are learning how to control their emotions, but teens and preteens? When my kids (6 & 4) misbehave all we have to ask is; Do you want to go to the bathroom? Yeah, they know what happens if we have to remove them from a public place… No tv, no DS, no leapfrog, etc…
  • MbiggsHFD319
    MbiggsHFD319 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Why does everything have to be fair!. . .lord. . Life's not fair. . My kid is completely hyper. . He's a great kid and he has good manners, but he couldn't sit still if his life depended on it. .He would NOT qualify for this discount. . However, why can't we as a society let OTHER people (including privately owned businesses) do what they want!? I'll take him to beef-o-brady's where nobody cares that he's squirming in his seat. . I'm going to teach my kid not to run around looking for excuses to get his feelings hurt or finding ways to 'feel' excluded. . boo hoo. .
    Very well stated
    Kids need to learn from an early age life is not fair and deal with it and get over it.
    A family with a child with a medical issue may not get a "well-behaved child" discount but most of them already know that and won't be too bothered by it unless they are the types that thinks the word owes them something for caring for their challenged child.

My 2 older kids were alway angels when we went out and would have earned the discount every day however my youngest was a raging terror every evening once the clock struck 6pm no matter where we were and we knew it so we didn't take her to places that required her to "behave" until she was old enough to and had learned to curb her lack of self control. It's just a no brainer.

Bring on the discounts! Maybe parents will stop allowing their children to disrupt everyone else in the restaurant
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and think it's pretty fab. I have to listen to my kids squawk and whine enough, I don't want to hear yours, too.
    Since our littlest is still in his tiny terror phase of life, we don't take him out to restaurants (or anywhere, really) unless he's napped and not starving to death. Tired, hungry kids = hellions. Kids learn how to behave in public by actually going through the motions but there's an art and strategy to it.

I don't expect other people to have to pay to listen to my kids' crap.