Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    So you're saying...

You feel better

You look better

Friends/family are commenting on positive changes in your body

But because the SCALE doesn't show enough change, you're failing?

Take a step back and think about what's really important here. Congrats on your progress! :)

And has been said, measurements can be much more helpful. Check that every couple weeks, it's a much better indicator of progress than pounds (which jump all over the place because of water, sodium, the time of day, the time of the month, the weather, the orbit of mercury, the value of the dollar, the US national debt...........)
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    As the other comments say... taking measurements is extremely helpful and motivating. You may building muscle, which weighs more than fat, which is a good thing. Muscle burns calories and fat. I've had weight gain but still lost inches. I've noticed this site doesn't track all my favorite body measurements to keep an eye on. I think they should include chest, and thigh at minimum. Bicep and calf would be nice too, but sometimes they get bigger depending on muscle growth and some people don't like to see any gain, but I find it encouraging to know as I am developing more muscle. But how you feel is most important! :smile:

If you click the weigh in tab, at the bottom of the measurements it says add more measurements. Select that and you can add any other measurements that you like to track.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    muscle does NOT weight more than fat.

1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat

the VOLUME of 1 lb of fat is a lot bigger than the VOLUME of 1 lb of muscle. With that in mind, if you take off 5 lbs of fat and replace it with 5 lbs of muscle, you will technically weigh the same but look thinner because of this.

So.....maybe you have lost fat inches and replaced them with muscle, and that is OK!!!! IN FACT, IT'S GREAT!!!

Keep up the good work!!!
    Geez, not again.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options

the VOLUME of 1 lb of fat is a lot bigger than the VOLUME of 1 lb of muscle. With that in mind, if you take off 5 lbs of fat and replace it with 5 lbs of muscle, you will technically weigh the same but look thinner because of this.

When someone says that muscle weighs more than fat, they are implicitly speaking in terms of a given volume. The whole point of the statement is that you may weight the same but feel smaller, because you are of less volume and more dense.
  • calisunrise
    Options

So.....maybe you have lost fat inches and replaced them with muscle, and that is OK!!!! IN FACT, IT'S GREAT!!!

Keep up the good work!!!
    Geez, not again.
    ^ this

most likely water retention
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    First, for women, a sustained loss rate of 2-3 pounds per month is TERRIFIC. As we get smaller, we need fewer calories and exercise burns fewer calories, so it can get hard to sustain a 500-calorie deficit without tanking your metabolism. I can't get a 500-calorie deficit myself; that puts me below my BMR, so I have to settle for a 420-calorie deficit.

Second, your tape measure is your friend. It gives you a clearer idea of how you're restructuring your body.

Third, you might enjoy using calipers to measure body fat. It will really show if you're changing your body composition even if the scale is being stubborn.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You could just be building your leg muscles ... as muscle weighs more than fat.
  • LM_hustle
    LM_hustle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Holy crap people are sensitive.

IIIII understood what was meant when it was said that "muscle weighs more than fat." However, I just wanted to put it out there if there was anyone who didn't understand.

I ended it on a positive note, didn't I?
  • SugaRhee
    SugaRhee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As the other comments say... taking measurements is extremely helpful and motivating. You may building muscle, which weighs more than fat, which is a good thing. Muscle burns calories and fat. I've had weight gain but still lost inches. I've noticed this site doesn't track all my favorite body measurements to keep an eye on. I think they should include chest, and thigh at minimum. Bicep and calf would be nice too, but sometimes they get bigger depending on muscle growth and some people don't like to see any gain, but I find it encouraging to know as I am developing more muscle. But how you feel is most important! :smile:

If you click the weigh in tab, at the bottom of the measurements it says add more measurements. Select that and you can add any other measurements that you like to track.

Wow, thank you! I can’t believe I missed that! :)
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    There's a great recent success thread around here somewhere of a gal who was like 184 lb and a size 14 who "only" got down to 175 lb but was a size 4-6. The scale isn't the end all number - BIG changes can happen to your body even without big drops on the scale!
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options

Keep up the good work!!!

when people say this they mean in size not pounds, At least that is what I mean when I sy it
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting and working out since Jan. 13. I feel lighter and my stomach seems slimmer, my friends and family say my face and arms look skinnier, but I have only lost 5 lbs. I feel like the scale is lying and I am discouraged. Any tips or support? I went from not working out, (but I am an active person normally) and eating whatever I wanted, to cutting carbs, watching calories and sugar intake, and doing 3-6 days of cardio a week. I am fast walking on treadmill, elliptical trainer, and stationary biking.

With a total of 30 pounds to lose, 5 pounds since January 13th is amazing progress. You should be aiming for one pound a week. The only thing that might be out of whack is your expectations. :smile:
  • kdlfit
    kdlfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering scale-a-holic. I no longer worry about that number, but I do keep an eye on the tape measure. The scale is only part of the equation. Water, salt, time of month can all affect the scale. If you're happy with the way your clothes are fitting, then celebrate and keep up the great work!
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The best reminder I have seen in these instances is a picture of a woman who weighed 155 in both pictures, but she doesn't look like the same woman.

Check her out: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=155+lbs+woman&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=A8D3EC00101A59236BF6FE6F777891729F255B15&selectedIndex=2

There's nothing to be disouraged over!

i cant get this to work :(

can you send me a link?? i'd love to see this
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The best reminder I have seen in these instances is a picture of a woman who weighed 155 in both pictures, but she doesn't look like the same woman.

Check her out: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=155+lbs+woman&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=A8D3EC00101A59236BF6FE6F777891729F255B15&selectedIndex=2

There's nothing to be disouraged over!

i cant get this to work :(

can you send me a link?? i'd love to see this
    This is a direct link - had the img tags on it, but the pic is too big for the boards here, so better to go to the actual photo to see the whole thing.
    http://crossfitdelawarevalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Deb155lbs.jpg