Almond Butter!! ALMOND BUTTER!

Options

Replies

• dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Almond Butter is easy to make with a food processor. I use 2 cups almonds, (one cup is roasted, salted, and one cup raw), & I add 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut. Process it for 10 minutes or so, stopping often to scrape down sides. It seems like it will never work, but eventually it does get to a perfect consistency. This method is SO much cheaper & SO delicious.
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like it on apple slices. I bet it would be yummy on some good dark chocolate, in moderation of course!
  • ihavehope4me
    Options
    When you find a lower alterntive on peanut butter - let me know. I thought I was doing good using all natural but it is no lower in calories ... and I love peanut butter.
  • xxtaliaxx
    Options
    Where does everyone get their almond butter? The only place I know of that sells it is whole foods and its like $14/lb. Its all natural and its made right there which I love so I know there's nothing extra thats added. When I first got it I had to remind myself that its made from almonds and not peanuts so its going to taste like...well, almonds lol. I think that might be why some people find it disgusting.

I put it on bananas, in smoothies...I'm going to try this toast thing though...If I get a toaster that is.
  • sandra_13
    Options
    Bump
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    On whole grain w/honey --love Almond Butter better than pb
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I put it in smoothies and it's heavenly with a banana!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Justin's flavor with honey is so good!
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hey Dontworri, when you say you add unsweetened coconut to make your own almond butter, do you mean coconut flakes, coconut milk, coconut oil, or some other form of coconut I'm not aware of? And how much does your recipe make?

Thanks!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    anyone know if almond butter has arachidonic acid in it? my neurologist suggested that i stop eating peanut products because it has high levels of arachidonic acid that may cause inflammation and migraines. i love peanut butter and it's been really tough eliminating it from my diet, but i've noticed that when i "cheat" and sneak some PB, the migraine is soon to follow. i was wondering if almond butter would be a sensible alternative or if it has the same types of amino acids as peanut butter. any ideas?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I can't buy it. I can't stop myself from eating the whole jar. :sad:

But I do like it on toast!

Oh my gosh, this completely. I bought one jar. It's almost gone and I can never EVER buy it again. But yeah, on toast is amazing, with a spoon...etc.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat nut butters. I should, I just don't thing about them. But while my brother was visiting from out of town, he made me try PECAN butter (ground fresh at Whole Foods). WOW, that was really good. Unfortunately, it's too expensive to eat on a regular basis.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    why is almond butter better than peanut butter?
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Almond Butter + Cashew Butter + Ovaltine = healthier Nutella. Very good too :)
  • Loving this thread! I bought some recently but have yet to open up the jar, I guess I will be doing so tomorrow! :) Ill try and almond butter and banana bread slice!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I put it in my morning shakes, replace all peanut butter recipes with it, have it on toast, or just eat it by the spoonful when I am low on protein/cals =)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I made these last week and they're delicious. I have a pic of the results in my profile for comparison too.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Almond-Butter-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies.aspx
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I make Paleo power bars with it! Yum!

Recipe?! :tongue:
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Where does everyone get their almond butter? The only place I know of that sells it is whole foods and its like $14/lb. Its all natural and its made right there which I love so I know there's nothing extra thats added. When I first got it I had to remind myself that its made from almonds and not peanuts so its going to taste like...well, almonds lol. I think that might be why some people find it disgusting.

I put it on bananas, in smoothies...I'm going to try this toast thing though...If I get a toaster that is.

I buy the Crunchy almond butter at Trader Joe's.
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    I usually eat it on bananas, apples, toast, saltines, a little on a small tortilla, or on a spoon straight to my mouth. Ha. I don't want to waste any, so I don't buy the jars or by the bulk (tho it probably makes more sense financially). Instead, I get some of those Justin packets in various flavors - maple, honey, orginal, chocolate. It's all good. Oh, and so is coconut butter. YUM! I am pretty sure I will stick to taking some of my mother's chocolate coconut butter instead of buying my own for fear of eating far too much of it.