Why I work out before eating anything!

Options
It can jump start your metabolism, give you energy and have positive psychological effects. When you eat a healthy breakfast with plenty of protein and carbohydrates it can help the body recover and keep the body's metabolic processes active for several hours following exercise. If you exercise in what's called a "fasted state," which most people usually only achieve after a night's sleep, your adrenalin levels are high and your insulin levels are low, according to Professor Peter Hespel, of the University of Leuven in Belgium. This forces your body to use a larger percentage of fat than carbohydrates for fuel, because you have fewer carbohydrates in reserve to burn. In the process, your muscles break down more fatty acids. I don't know about you, but it sounds like a winner to me!! Remember, be your own judge. I am not a health professional. I am just offering my opinion based on my knowledge. I have always exercised before eating and I believe this is the best way for me.

Replies

• Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've read this elsewhere too. I recently started working out 1-2 times a week in the morning before breakfast in hopes of jump starting more weight loss. In addition I'm trying to cut back on carbs and not eat them later in the day to hopefully switch to more fat burning (over carb burning) all the time, especially during my long (2-5 hour) workouts.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Normally I don't like to quote celebrities, but its safe to say that Hugh Jackman knows how to be fit and trim.

In a recent interview High Jackman said that when he needs to be in cutting mode or lose weight for a role, that he makes sure to work out before eating.

If you can do it, it makes sense.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    None of that is true BTW.

A number of people prefer to exercise without eating first, but it has no metabolic or fat loss benefit. If anything, there is just as much chance of it having a negative effect by reducing the intensity or duration of the workout.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    On balance, there is actually no fat loss or weight loss advantage.
  • fabtofat
    fabtofat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have actually read that it has a negative effect as your body is already in fasting mode and it decides to preserve more energy because it thinks that you will be going through long period of food deprivation and high calorie consumption. I have no idea what research to believe sometime.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I exercise before eating because I run, and running with a full belly gives an upset stomach and usually makes me have to poop mid-run. I don't know about fat burning and insulin, but I prefer no upset tummy and no mid-run poop stop.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    The false is strong with this post
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    If you do decide to workout fasted at least take some BCAA / Glutamine to help reduce catabolizing of muscle tissue
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    Is this the same as intermittent fasting? Is that all hogwash too?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is this the same as intermittent fasting? Is that all hogwash too?

It's not hogwash; it's just one way, out of many, to structure one's eating schedule. As long as you're getting good nutrition (adequate calories, macros, micros), the actual timing of meals should be decided by personal preference.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've heard this so many times, but so much conflicting evidence the other way and honestly, I just don't buy it, I know I work out better if I have the energy to do so. I just do what works for me. Weekday easy runs, I eat nothing. Weekday speed work, I eat a banana right before my run (an easily digestible carb so it doesn't bother my stomach). Weekend long runs (12+ miles), I eat oatmeal/pb2 and coffee 1 hour before my run and fuel with gels during my run. You have to do what works best for you.
  • ChocoCheeseaholic
    ChocoCheeseaholic Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I too read that you will actually lose muscle doing this because your body is in freak out conservation mode.

That said, it's also true that working out in the morning gets your metabolism in gear for the rest of the day. When I workout in the morning, I have a snack like Greek yogurt, a substantial granola bar (none of those 90 calorie chewy things), small bowl of cereal, etc. Then I'm ready for my workout ~1/2 hour later... I don't get cramps, but I also have energy to workout hard.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    As i said in the topic, I AM NOT A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL!! I choose this way because I don't want a stomach full of food while my heart is racing a mile a minute. Everyone has their own opinion and right to post what they believe in. Thank you
  • jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a lot of people are giving the human body enough credit. Working out on fasted is not going to kick your body into survival mode because it thinks it is starving. Your body knows how to store up what it needs aaaand food digestion and nutrient depletion takes a lot longer that what most people on here are portraying. I'm at the gym by 5 am everyday with no food in me.....and they are the best workouts I could hope for. Your bodies are amazing! Do what works for you and don't worry about all the bull crap reports and fads that come out every other week.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a lot of people are giving the human body enough credit. Working out on fasted is not going to kick your body into survival mode because it thinks it is starving. Your body knows how to store up what it needs aaaand food digestion and nutrient depletion takes a lot longer that what most people on here are portraying. I'm at the gym by 5 am everyday with no food in me.....and they are the best workouts I could hope for. Your bodies are amazing! Do what works for you and don't worry about all the bull crap reports and fads that come out every other week.

I agree!! This is something i have always practiced when I workout,exercise or what ever people call it!! Unhealthy things we put into our bodies along with inactivity are the reason we are overweight and or unhealthy. There is always going to be someone who has negative feedback, so what who cares!!!!!!!! I DO ME PERIOD!!!!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    For me it just depends on the exercise. If I'm just doing cardio in the morning, then I wait until after I workout to eat something. But if I do weights, I have to eat a little something or else I get light-headed and pass out. I used to not eat anything at all because for some reason the thought of eating early in the morning used to make me nauseous, but once I started doing weights, I had to get something in my stomach (yogurt, banana or even just Gatorade) or I'd feel horrible.

I know it's important to eat early on to break the fast before my metabolism starts to slow too much,. ButI don't like to eat much before a workout though because I know that if I do, my body is just burning off what I just ate first because it's the most immediate energy available and not the stored fat which is what I really need it to burn off.

We each have to figure out what works best for us.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Makes very little difference so do it whichever way you prefer
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I exercise before eating because I run, and running with a full belly gives an upset stomach and usually makes me have to poop mid-run. I don't know about fat burning and insulin, but I prefer no upset tummy and no mid-run poop stop.

ROFL!! ME TOO!!!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love lifting while fasted!! It makes me feel stronger, strangely... I cant feel my muscles being fatigued like i could if i had more food in my tummy..
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    As i said in the topic, I AM NOT A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL!! I choose this way because I don't want a stomach full of food while my heart is racing a mile a minute. Everyone has their own opinion and right to post what they believe in. Thank you

that's a more valid reason than it having anything to do with your metabolism.