Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    It is for me :drinker:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Please don't take one sentence of my post and criticize it out of context. That is not helpful at all.

I was very VERY careful to provide a full context for my opinion in my post. I am confident that my post was clear enough that any reader can figure out if my experience might apply to them. I said nothing about my experience being the best or universal or ideal or blanket solution for everyone. I said: "This works for me and this is who I am." That is a very simple statement and I think that anyone who has a problem with it, just has a problem, period.

huh. ok.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I think you are taking offense at an imaginary insult.

you: 1, this is who I am and this is what I do; 2, "I highly recommend this"

sara: 1, that's great that it works for you; 2, but your stats are different than many people here; 3, so, for those people who have different stats than you -- of which there are many -- this is maybe not something that should be highly recommended.

you: 1, why are you calling me old and fat and being so mean?!

see the disconnect there?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Please don't take one sentence of my post and criticize it out of context. That is not helpful at all.

I was very VERY careful to provide a full context for my opinion in my post. I am confident that my post was clear enough that any reader can figure out if my experience might apply to them. I said nothing about my experience being the best or universal or ideal or blanket solution for everyone. I said: "This works for me and this is who I am." That is a very simple statement and I think that anyone who has a problem with it, just has a problem, period.
    IMO it wasn't out of context. Your writing was at best ambiguous. We are not all in your head. It is not the failing of an audience when they get something different than what the author intended. That is a failing of the author.

Also, nobody called you old and fat. They pointed out that there is a difference in relevant parameters (age and weight) between you and the OP which significantly alters energy needs and thus makes your experience much less likely to be applicable. If I posted my experience and someone said "but you're a guy and you're eating over 2000 calories a day" should I get all butthurt too?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Actually you said
    I agree that many women can maintain on 2000 calories.

"Unfortunately, that's not true for many women" was the opening line of my post that you initially responded to. In that post, I was stating disagreement that "pretty much EVERY woman on the planet" can maintain on 2000 calories.

Many women can maintain on 2000 calories, and many women will gain weight on 2000 calories.

Many women can maintain on 2000 calories, but many women cannot maintain on 2000 calories, because they will gain weight. For many women on the planet, 2000 calories will not be enough to maintain.

All of the above statements are true.

Many as an adjective simply means, "A large number."

A large number of women on the planet can maintain on 2000 calories, but a large number of women on the planet cannot maintain on 2000 calories, because they will gain weight. For a large number of women on the planet, 2000 calories will not be enough to maintain.

I'm not sure what you are arguing with.
    A large number of women who gain wouldn't if they tried to go about it differently.
  • roxymarie10
    Options
    I've got a question.. I started P90X this wk.. My friend told me about this site to help calculate my food intake.. It has me eating 1200 cals a day and saying that with my 6 days of exercise at 60min per day I only burn 387 cals?? That doesn't seem right.. And if I'm only burning that many during workouts, then wouldn't 1200 cals be too much in order to lose weight?? Thanks
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I lost 27 pounds by eating 1200 calories and am now down to 113 pounds. I never went into "starvation mode". Depends on the person.

Ditto--although it was 18 pounds here. However, I don't think that anyone can really answer the "is 1200 calories too low" question without knowing more about the individual. The answer will be different if you are a 4'11" small-boned female or a large-boned 5'10" female.

A small 4'11 girl should still be able to maintain on numbers much much larger then 1200, even if they're sedentary.

Coder: how much do you weigh, what is your activity level and how much are you maintaining on?

Since I increased my intake I stopped logging since my waist is remaining about the same. Do not want to feel that I need to log to maintain. But I'm up to 128 and do the 43 minutes of the Spartacus workout plus stretches 3 times a week. On the scale I'm slowly losing. Def over 2000 that's for sure since when I was 120 I would be over 2000 weekly (sometimes over 3xxx) and I'd occasionally drop into the 11x lb range. I can start logging again if we want to start an experiment :p
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A large number of women who gain wouldn't if they tried to go about it differently.

That's true too.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I've got a question.. I started P90X this wk.. My friend told me about this site to help calculate my food intake.. It has me eating 1200 cals a day and saying that with my 6 days of exercise at 60min per day I only burn 387 cals?? That doesn't seem right.. And if I'm only burning that many during workouts, then wouldn't 1200 cals be too much in order to lose weight?? Thanks
    That's probably 387 extra calories per day, so 1,587 daily calorie recommendation for you. Unlike many sites, MFP does not give you additional calories for the exercise you say you will do, but it adds the calories on each day when you record what you have done. You'll see many discussions here from people who don't understand this and ask why they should eat their "exercise calories". (The base amount MFP gives you has already subtracted off enough calories, so subtracting more with exercise can cause problems.)

If you don't mind... what did you enter as your starting weight, your activity level and how fast you want to lose? Many people enter the 2 pounds/week despite the recommendation, especially for people with less to lose, to enter a slower pace.

There's an alternative method to figuring out how many calories you should eat. A popular one, described in the "roadmap" uses average TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - 10 or 20%. If you use that, it already includes your exercise, so you don't "eat back" the exercised calorie amount. These are all estimates -- if calculated accurately, they should come out with similar amounts, but some people are more comfortable with one method than the other.

For more about how to get started and links to the different methods, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Because what happens when you want to maintain? Are you going to eat 1200 forever? Don't let it get used to running on so little. Net your bmr if you exercise or eat your bmr if you skip exercise.

If I eat 1200 calories forever, I'm pretty sure I'll continue to lose. I have to up my calories now to stop the freefall. I don't think this is true at all.

If you eat 1200 calories forever you'll eventually plateau, and it won't look good on you. Hopefully you won't take it that far, but I wouldn't expect to maintain on the same calorie budget as someone the same height, weight, and age who took a more moderate, muscle-sparing approach to getting there. It's a lot easier to lose compact, body shaping, calorie burning muscle than it is to regain it. Fat, on the other hand...
  • featherkiss
    Options
    WOW..what an inspiration...i have over 100 to lose...more like 120.....but seeing Your determination and motivation made me smile this morning....Great Job...YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    man these threads bashing 1200 calorie diets are annoying.
    I've read through the entire post so far, and it doesn't seem other people are attacking you or your lifestyle, but are giving their personal opinion on the subject since an opinion was asked for. Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to give your opinion too, but the way you phrase things seems to be unnecessarily confrontational.There's no one correct way to lose weight. Your way isn't always right, my way isn't always right, the other posters' ways aren't always right. Everyone does what works for them. If these posts "annoy" you, stop reading them. It really is that simple. Hopefully maturity can make it's way into the equation in your life, or it's going to be a long, long road for you and those around you.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    A 1200 and below diet is working really well for me and I highly recommend it.

I am older, started off quite heavy and have asthma and bad knees so strenuous workouts weren't a good fit for me. That's why serious calorie restriction seems like the best way for me to get started. I also really need some immediate results to get me motivated.

I am hoping that when the snow finally melts and I can do a lot of walking, I will have lost enough so I won't need to worry so much about my knees. I might consider upping my calories as I become more active but I am very happy with what I am eating now.

There are so many excellent reasons to choose a 1200 calorie diet. I hope it works out for you.

With all due respect, you are 57 years old and have over 100lb to lose. Why would that be transferable and recommended to someone a lot younger and with less to lose?

Actually I think that your remark is disrespectful to me and to everyone else. This is a public forum where we all contribute and learn from each other's experience. The people posting and reading here come from all ages and all weights and different situations. The variety of different experiences is one of the greatest strengths of this forum. I think it is obvious that our posts are intended to be read by the entire community. I included my personal details so that readers could make their own decisions about whether or not my post might apply to them. I'm pretty sure that the other forum members can make that call without your help.

My experience is as valid and as valuable as anyone else's and I cannot imagine why you would choose to denigrate my post.

You have totally taken what sarauk2sf said to you out of context. You read it in a negative light when I don't think anyone else did. She was merely pointing out that your stats are very different to the OP's therefore you would have different calories needs. Someone with less weight to lose needs to approach fat loss differently to someone with 100+ pounds to lose. I believe that'a all that was meant by the comment. It's not really Sara's fault that you read it wrong, and to call it disrespectful to the whole community is a bit of a over reaction.
  • mlm821
    Options
    to read later
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm Male, 37 (look 23, which is why I'm doing my dieting - if I can be almost 40 and still look half my age, I'm going to have the best body possible), 5'11", and currently 175.

I'm limiting myself to 1200 calories a day, if that. Like today - I had a hot dog, slice of pizza and a chocolate candy bar, and tons of water and tea. Not the healthiest meal, no, but I've only consumed 825 calories, and I feel FULL. I don't plan on eating anything else for the day. In fact, when I get home, I'll grab the dog, and go for a run. It just rained today, and my dog loves the smell of the park after it rained.

I've lost 7 pounds already, and I'm sure the reason I haven't lost more (it's been about 2-3 weeks since I've started this program again), is because I've cheated a few days.

So no, everyone talking about starvation mode I think are just worrying too much. For most people, half the battle is re-programming one's self to not use food as a filler when bored, or for coping, or for emotional reasons. It's alright to have a love affair with good food - I do! I love a great steak, and I love pasta, but I am in the middle of teaching myself food is not the answer for a day when I'm depressed, and conversely, food should not be the answer when I need to celebrate.

I don't mean to ramble or digress too far. The point is, 1200 is not too low.

In my humble opinion.

Eric

Good luck maintaining a youthful look on that sort of diet. There is a middle ground, you know.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I'm Male, 37 (look 23, which is why I'm doing my dieting - if I can be almost 40 and still look half my age, I'm going to have the best body possible), 5'11", and currently 175.

I'm limiting myself to 1200 calories a day, if that. Like today - I had a hot dog, slice of pizza and a chocolate candy bar, and tons of water and tea. Not the healthiest meal, no, but I've only consumed 825 calories, and I feel FULL. I don't plan on eating anything else for the day. In fact, when I get home, I'll grab the dog, and go for a run. It just rained today, and my dog loves the smell of the park after it rained.

I've lost 7 pounds already, and I'm sure the reason I haven't lost more (it's been about 2-3 weeks since I've started this program again), is because I've cheated a few days.

So no, everyone talking about starvation mode I think are just worrying too much. For most people, half the battle is re-programming one's self to not use food as a filler when bored, or for coping, or for emotional reasons. It's alright to have a love affair with good food - I do! I love a great steak, and I love pasta, but I am in the middle of teaching myself food is not the answer for a day when I'm depressed, and conversely, food should not be the answer when I need to celebrate.

I don't mean to ramble or digress too far. The point is, 1200 is not too low.

In my humble opinion.

Eric
    I had 1400 calories for lunch yesterday. I'm 6'1" 185lbs. I eat twice as much as you and I've lost 20 lbs in the last 10 weeks. You've only been at it 2-3 weeks... you might find you start getting dizzy, weak, or lightheaded when your body isn't getting everything it needs, such as vitamins and minerals. Especially if your 1200 calories consist of stuff like hotdogs and candy bars.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I had 1400 calories for lunch yesterday. I'm 6'1" 185lbs. I eat twice as much as you and I've lost 20 lbs in the last 10 weeks. You've only been at it 2-3 weeks... you might find you start getting dizzy, weak, or lightheaded when your body isn't getting everything it needs, such as vitamins and minerals. Especially if your 1200 calories consist of stuff like hotdogs and candy bars.
    Mmm food. I look at your ticker and all I want is corn.... :tongue:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Mmm food. I look at your ticker and all I want is corn.... :tongue:
    if (ifym && !(typeof(corn) == 'snake')) {
    eatCorn();
    }