Protein shakes for someone wanting to loose weight

Options
I seen forums about people talking about pros and cons of weight loss protein shakes. What I am looking to find is names. I want to know what brands are the best in experience for someone who is taking it in hopes to loose weight along with the right diet and exercise. I was taking the gnc total lean meal replacement but it gets pricey. I am looking for a pure protein powder that I can mix with my almond milk and fruits for extra protein in my diet for like mid day snacks or after workouts. Please I am not looking for someone to start schooling me haha I am just trying to find names of good product(hopefully cheaper also).

Replies

• Fitmom4boys
    Fitmom4boys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love Syntrax Nectar is the coffee flavor or chocolate...it is 90 cal,0 fat 21 g pro...and also pricey 39$ .....also BSN Lean Dessert 150 cal, 3 fat, 24 pro, abput 24$... in banna pudding or chocalte...,both also have vanilla flavors...
  • longmry
    Options
    I have been drinking 2 herbalife shakes a day, with 1 500 cal meal and 3 200 to 250 small protein meals. The shakes a really good. I have been doing this since Thanksgiving and have not tired of it yet.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the Body Fortress Whey Protein. Yeah it is a lower end brand...but it is working for me right now and I like the taste...which to be honest is a huge bonus. I don't have the money to spent $100 on a tub of protein from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, especially since both me and my husband use protein powder...so Body Fortress it is.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup of almond milk
    1/2 a banana
    1/2 cup of nonfat greek yogurt
    1 scoop of designer whey protein powder
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I used the Isagenix nutritional cleansing and weight loss system that includes two meals of high protein meal replacement shakes and the weight came off and my energy increased.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology or Powerbar protein powder in my own shakes (I don't find it as filling though).

ETA You can add spinach, greek yogurt, mixed berries, peanut butter and bananas etc to your shakes with protein powder
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Wal-Mart. I mix 1 scoop of Whey protein, 12 oz. water, two big spoon full of low fat yogurt, shake are refrigerate for a couple hours. Some days I blend it with frozen berries to make a smoothie. I usually have 2 a day. I've been doing it for a year and a half and I'm down over 165. So it must be working. And my doctor says that I'm not having any ill effects from them.
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for getting back to me so quick! I actually bout a soy protein at Walmart, thinking soy is good. Reviews are bad for weight loss so I am actually hoping to exchange for a different one at Walmart, so the big tub at Walmart whey protein is good for girls also? I'm clueless apparently haha my husband had bought some there for bulking. I'd hate to get that kind...
  • eloisemonteiro
    eloisemonteiro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mixing fruits and/or milk is one of the most mistakes people do about protein powder, doing this you lose all the purpose of it - which is the fast absorption of protein - milk would slow that down and you'll ended up wasting your money.

Of course there's a lot pro and cons, this is more for weight lift and building muscles point of view, if your focus is just the protein intake that for some reason you can't reach with your daily amount and need an extra "help", it doesn't matter... :)
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    Haha ya all I really do in the morning is take a banana almond milk and ice with natural peanut butter and blend. Was looking for a good all protein shake to add to it to get my protein. No weight lifting, if carrying my 6 month old counts ;-) haha I just exercise to loose weight I just need more protein in my diet when I dont have Time to cook. On the go kinda stuff.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options
    There is no magic weight loss protein. The benefits and any results are going to come from properly integrating protein into your plan and almost nothing to do with the actual brand. That's true as long as you pick any decent/good protein and as long we're not talking about something that might include thermogenics. Otherwise, what you do once you pick a protein is going to have far more to do with it than anything else.

I happened to just comment on another new post today on a similar topic. Here's a cut and paste because it applies just the same here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886619-which-protein-powder-to-buy

You can get into a lot of detail in picking a protein, but to make it simple, following these few guidelines.
    1. Whey protein is whey protein. Yes some brands are a bit higher quality, some mix better, some taste better, etc. But for the most part, in a similar cost range, it's all pretty much the same in terms of how the protein is going to function. The rest is mostly personal preference.
    2. Whey isolate and whey hydrolysate will help if you have lactose intolerance or issues with whey concentrate. Otherwise, it can be just fine to get the whey concentrate. Again, it's all whey protein.
    3. For a pick at Walmart, do not buy any protein because of what the label or someone claims. There is no magic fat burner protein. Protein can be used as part of your plan, but once again, protein is protein. Look at the grams of protein per serving, and figure the grams of protein per dollar. That really should be your primary factor until you try one and decide you don't like it due to whatever personal preference.

If you're into extreme health science or serious bodybuilding where the details matter, it's worth researching into it further. In those cases, the absorption speed, anabolic response, and other such factors can make a difference. Otherwise just pick one with the few simple guidelines above and stick with it if you like it. Of course you can try others too for preference reasons, but it's not going to make the difference in the weight loss so long as you simply have a decent protein, one brand or the other.

If you have any further specifics in mind on how you want to use the protein, there might be some further helpful suggestion. For example, if you know you want a certain amount of protein per server, look closely at the service size and total servings per container.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for getting back to me so quick! I actually bout a soy protein at Walmart, thinking soy is good. Reviews are bad for weight loss so I am actually hoping to exchange for a different one at Walmart, so the big tub at Walmart whey protein is good for girls also? I'm clueless apparently haha my husband had bought some there for bulking. I'd hate to get that kind...

Assuming the listed ingredients are just protein and maybe added BCAAs, there's really no difference for "bulking" protein and "weight loss" protein. You may notice that bulking proteins will have higher grams per serving since more protein is needed for that purpose, but it really is nothing more than a serving size consideration. For the bodybuilding side, I certainly don't want to get something that only has 10 g per serving and only 30 servings per container. Therefore, you may choose not to get the bulking protein for a serving size reason, but it may be just fine otherwise. Of course, some proteins do have additional ingredients, so it's worth pointing out I can't say that's certain unless we look at a particular mix.
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    K I didn't know there's no difference. Thank you!!!! I was nervous I'd buy something that would make me bulk up haha
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It is great protein.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    As an RNY patient, I've tried TONS and TONS of different protein shakes. The best tasting, hands down, is the Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie. I got it from mybariatricpantry.com, but it is available elsewhere if you Google it. Tastes just like you dunked an entire box of Thin Mint cookies in a glass of milk and then drank the milk...crumbs and all!
  • nhoward2007
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels Protein shakes which are purchased at Walmart for about $10. I tried the various Whey protein shakes and did not like the flavors. Jillian Michaels shakes come in vanilla and chocolate. For a snack, I would do just one scoop of shake with water or a meal replacement, one scoop of shake, 1/2 banana, and 8oz almond breeze no sugar milk
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It is great protein.

This is the best tasting brand I've found yet.

Drinking a protein shake won't make you bulk up, don't worry about that. All you need to do to include a protein shake with your weight loss goals is to make sure it fits within your calorie range. Easy peasy.
  • theresao68
    Options
    I use EAS Lean 15. It is low in calories. 2 scoops is 100 calories.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    To my Body Fortress Whey Protein from Walmart (currently US$16.95 or so) - and I only use 1/2 a scoop...I add water, ice, 1/2 banana, 1/4 c long cook uncooked oats, chia seed, milled flax seed and some other fresh or frozen fruit. If I have raw spinach, I add that too (and it doesn't really effect the taste, just turns it green!). LOVE my smoothies!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is amazing and you can get it in strawberry, vanalllia and chocolate