Protein shakes for someone wanting to loose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• moonbai
    Options
    Some studies show Whey Protein Isolate is the best protein to drink for weight loss/fat loss
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the Body Fortress Whey Protein. Yeah it is a lower end brand...but it is working for me right now and I like the taste...which to be honest is a huge bonus. I don't have the money to spent $100 on a tub of protein from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, especially since both me and my husband use protein powder...so Body Fortress it is.

I also agree... Body Fortress is just fine. If you want to spend a dollar or two more get the Body Fortress Whey Isolate. The chocolate and chocolate/peanut butter taste great. I have also used Target brand. It is about the same price and in my opinion tastes better than any other chocolate protein powder I have tried.
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I bout the EAS soy protein anyone try that I didn't try it yet debating on returning it
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It is great protein.
    THIS!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I swear by Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein mostly because it mixes so easily - either with milk or water you shake and it dissolves, no clumping or nasties.

It's not the cheapest out there though, but it's convenient.
  • nevmarchant
    Options
    a protein shake is a protein shake. the kind your husband bought for bulking is exactly the same as a protein shake people use for weight loss. If you're wanting to use it as a meal replacement i suggest BSN Syntha 6. Unlike regular protein shakes that have just protein, the Syntha 6 has some carbs.

Protein shakes will not make you lose weight. All they do is provide protein, if you can't get that from your meals and no reason you coudln't. and as your husband knows, extra protein will help bodybuilders bulk up. You only bulk up on protein shakes if you do the heavy lifting. (As a woman, even if you did heavy lifting, you wouldn't bulk up because you don't have the testosterone)

There is no real need for protein shakes. You can easily get the right mix eating whole foods. Yes the meal will be boring. Chicken breast with 1/2 cup of brown rice and veggies is a boring meal. but it has the right macronutrients and calories to make you feel full and help you lose weight.

Protein shakes, no matter who makes them, are not magic. You still have to exercise and cut calories.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options
    I bout the EAS soy protein anyone try that I didn't try it yet debating on returning it

I have used EAS products in the past including their Myoplex Plus protein as a primary protein supplement for a long time. They have high quality products. I looked at the specs on that EAS Soy Protein, and it's a standard simple protein mix. At 20 g per serving, it's not too little and not too much (that's sort of a guess, but I'm assuming you don't need 30-50 g per serving.) As I said, protein is protein, so with a brand like EAS, what you get that is variable between brands is it will probably mix well, taste good, be smooth to drink, and digest well. Those are somewhat subjective things, so your conclusion may vary.

Were you considering any other specific products?
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    I seen forums about people talking about pros and cons of weight loss protein shakes. What I am looking to find is names. I want to know what brands are the best in experience for someone who is taking it in hopes to loose weight along with the right diet and exercise. I was taking the gnc total lean meal replacement but it gets pricey. I am looking for a pure protein powder that I can mix with my almond milk and fruits for extra protein in my diet for like mid day snacks or after workouts. Please I am not looking for someone to start schooling me haha I am just trying to find names of good product(hopefully cheaper also).

After RNY gastric bypass and complications I needed to heal. My surgeon credited Isopure for basically saving my life ... I got the protein in that my body had to have and that my little pouch and body could utilize. I still use it when I want something low carb, low calorie and protein dense and 'real' food just doesn't sound appetizing. Comes in several flavors ... I like the vanilla so that I can add different flavors of yogurt to it to make a thick shake when I want to make it into a 'meal'. I also like to add it to cold coffee ... chocolate flavor is good for that also. Good stuff ... but not the cheapest for sure. As in most cases, you get what you pay for.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I love the taste and texture of MRM Veggie Protein Vanilla Flavor. If you buy it from Amazon, it's about $1.00 per day. It's pea, rice and hemp protein, along with chia and flax seed and antioxidants. It's sweetened with Stevia, and is 130 Calories, 23 grams protein, and it tastes great mixed with just water.

I did a cost analysis of grams of protein per dollar, comparing eggs, chicken, beef and MRM Veggie Protein Powder. It turns out that chicken is the cheapest source of protein, followed by MRM, then beef, then organic cage free eggs.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options

I have used EAS products in the past including their Myoplex Plus protein as a primary protein supplement for a long time. They have high quality products. I looked at the specs on that EAS Soy Protein, and it's a standard simple protein mix. At 20 g per serving, it's not too little and not too much (that's sort of a guess, but I'm assuming you don't need 30-50 g per serving.) As I said, protein is protein, so with a brand like EAS, what you get that is variable between brands is it will probably mix well, taste good, be smooth to drink, and digest well. Those are somewhat subjective things, so your conclusion may vary.

Were you considering any other specific products?

Since there was some discussion on whey protein earlier, I'll add that I generally like whey better, but that doesn't mean you should necessarily return the soy protein. You may find you just like how it tastes, which could be more important than other factors. Scroll to the bottom and look at the numbers. http://www.mytopform.com/whey-protein-vs-soy-protein
    If you absolutely wanted the better protein without having to take the time to understand all the science behind it and not considering anything else, then just choose whey protein.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options
    I just reread the original post. To keep it super simple, with no explanation, and also picking one that others also recommended:

Try Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey. Get the 5 or 10 pound to save money. Try www.bodybuilding.com for a great general supplement source, great prices, and fast shipping.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but if you have a Vitamin World close by I recommend their basic Whey Protein (either Deluxe Chocolate or Creamy Vanilla). They both have a good amount of protein, low fat and low carbs/sugar (2g sugar, 3 carbs).
  • Fooey606
    Options
    I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.pro-proteinshake.com - My personal favourite is the Labrada Lean Body Hi-Protein shake because of the high protein:carb ratio.
    :drinker:
  • Hyvee brand protien is awesome! Gluten free sweetened with stevia and only 2 carbs per 20 grams protien. Choc/peanutbutter is the best I add pb2 and ice.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Count me as another Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey supporter. I've been drinking a half skim milk half water shake with ON whey every day of my weight loss journey, as as you can see from my signature it's not making me gain weight at all.

In terms of flavors, I prefer extreme milk chocolate, double rich chocolate, toffee caramel fudge, and mocha cappucino in that order. Didn't like Cookies and Cream at all. If you like to mix fruit with yours (I don't, too much sugar) then I can't help you there because I haven't tried those types of flavors.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein powder, they will vary in contents slightly, maybe in calories a little bit by 5-10 depending on flavour systems etc but the reality is to go for a flavour you like and can afford to repeatedly buy just so you know you are getting something you can stomach. Nothing worse than opening the tub and finding after a couple of scoops you can't bear it and it makes you gag!
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    I get what you mean but I'm a mom on the go, I don't have time for cooking the whole foods all the time. I wanted a quick protein shake that would give me the right amount
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    Was going to be either eas soy or the standard whey protein at walmart
  • Kttyler87
    Options
    xtrmtrnng those were for you haha I forgot to put that