Want to join military... must lose A LOT of weight

Options
124»

Replies

• margaretmcrowe
    margaretmcrowe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my 20 year career. Came in barely meeting standards, struggled for the past 20 years. About to retire and now I'm finally way under standards. I spent a lot of time administering the AF weight standard program. Any questions I can answer? Happy to assess your diet/exercise plan and any other things that might be hindering your weight loss.
  • aleesha9109
    aleesha9109 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I was going to join the military after I graduated but I got into a car accident.I was 160 & 5'11" in high school.Im now going to be 21 & I need to lose about 30 pounds to join the navy to be a linguist. HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    As a former member of the Candian Military (joined at 18) all I can say is good luck. I remember my uncle (former AF) telling me not to worry about getting into shape cause if I wasn't when I got there I would be when I left...boy was he right. I was run into the ground. By the time I was done basic and trades training I was down in weight significantly and up in strength...(I had to do at least 4 chin ups to pass my fitness test, walk 13km full ruck one day, 16km with webbing and rifle the next day along with various other trades items such as lifting the projectile into the load tray)

With the Canadian we had to do was pass a fitness test during basic and then again during trades...I was artillery and their fitness test was brutal as you can see above.

If you can handle the work, the training, the bs etc have at...
  • yukino3006
    yukino3006 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what branch you are joining but I want to go to the navy. Im going in by body fat. I started at 225 im now 183. Im close to being at the weight they want. It is possible.
  • theroyalreyna_
    Options
    I am on the same boat !! I want to join the Army. I was losing weight then I fell off when I was starting my EMT training, going back to gym again. I need to lose 60pds, I started dieting and working out but I haven't even lost a pound. After finishing EMT school which was in January, I have stayed the same weight for 4 months. My doctor recently told me the cause of it could be because I have hypothyroidism, which sucks. I'm still going to try hard and get my medication for it. Also doing research about it, because I really want to join so badly. I wish I had a work out partner or someone sharing the same goals by me, for more motivation.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely!

There isn’t any reason you can’t do this if this is something you want to do. Your first order of business is to drop the doubts and second guessing yourself. The military is very disciplined and you need to start thinking and functioning along these lines. Start applying discipline to your mind, body, spirit, and soul right now. Make sure you set-up your MFP profile correctly. More importantly, make sure you don’t stop just because the going gets tough and it will get tough. When you don’t feel like exercising, do it! When you don’t feel eating properly, do it! When you don’t want to hydrate your body, do it! Tune out all negativity and do something every day to get yourself closer to your goal. Don't waste time on stupid BS because you need to do the right thing for your family.