Women, losing weight eating 1700+ calories?

Options

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I lost the last 10 lbs. working out 6 days a week (3x cardio/3x weights) and eating 1850, and I'm 5'3" and 47 yrs. old. You can do it at that many calories as long as you keep up the workouts. I've cut back my workouts and I'm eating over 2000 in maintenance.
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    Options
    I lost weight consuming 1895-2000 calories per day. I also burned a ton of calories, too. If your activity level is high you need more calories. Sometimes I consumed more than that, but my activity was greater. I still lost 29 pounds. Do what works for you. :)
  • jillbly1
    Options
    What is TDEE, how do you figure this out?
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I switch TDEE almost 3 weeks ago now, my daily cal's include 3-5 hrs moderate exercise a week, so i do NOT eat my exercise cal's back. YOu should re-evaluate your TDEE every 5 lbs you lose and adjust your cal's accordingly, Scooby's calculator is excellent, he recommends you eat 20% less thats a good start. I haven't lost a pound since DEC22 and i was getting very frustrated, now after 3 weeks of TDEE i have lost 1 lb and i feel I'm over my 7 week plateau and hope to continue to loose these last 6 lbs. FYI I have boosted my protein intake with Whey Isolate Protien Powder, and set my marcos at 40/40/20…..im blasting away fat and gaining lean muscle back with circuit training, its a win win for me so far.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE, how do you figure this out?

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1,700 - 2,000.

I'm eating TDEE - 20% , and put it on "sedentary" since my work outs aren't consistent week by week. I eat back 1/2 of my exercise calories and I've been losing a little under a pound a week.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well, I was chatting with my personal trainer and he suggested I just start planning for around 1800 calories a day (assuming that I keep working out for an average of 5 days a week.) A, it's easier to just plan your day-to-day menu and B, basing my calories on 1200 + my exercise for *today* doesn't account for residual calorie burn from the last 24-72 hours - depending on what kind of effort I put in at the gym for the last day or two. I am sure I am not explaining this as well as he did, lol.

To make a long story short - too late!! - I'm going to give it a try for a month. I haven't been losing weight over the last 6 weeks starting with a base of 1200 calories and he's the one with a double masters in exercise science and nutrition, after all.
  • c2jvintage
    c2jvintage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    These are great responses! I think i will try eating close to that 1900 and see what happens over the next few weeks! My macros are 40/30/30... what are everyone elses? I eat a ton of protein every day from whey powder, tuna, and chicken...but it still isn't meeting my goal, I have a hard time without going over on sodium. Any good ideas there?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 just like you.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 132lbs and I have *SLOWLY* lost 5lbs eat between 1500-2000 a day. I lift 3x weekly, do some cardio, and practice yoga.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    4'11 and I kill it every day I go to the gym. Usually I'm eating anywhere from 1800-2000 and losing!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I consumed an average of 1910 calories a day for the last 4 weeks and lost an average of 0.55 pounds per week. I lift heavy 3 times a week and average 2 hours of yoga and two hours of cardio a week.

ETA I'm 5'5"130lbs
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Even at 120lb I could lose on 2000kcal, with no serious workouts, just walking everywhere.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and 220 lbs. Mfp has me at 1720 calories per day.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before on 2400-2500 a day. Gym (strength training) 4-5 x a week for 45-75 mins and a fairly active job.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a lot older than you and was losing on 1700 a day. Now I'm eating more because I added strength training.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I can have a deficit eating 2200 calories. Don't starve yourself! Eat! You earned it.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7.5" wighing 155lbs
    I am maintaining at 2750 lifting heavy 3 x a week, no cardio at the moment, just some Yoga on non-lifting days
    I am losing if I just incorporate a bit more cardio into my routine.
  • DebiS1972
    Options
    Does anyone want to take me on? I have been at plateau now 5 months...imagine how sad I feel. This is also when I started exercising properly too. Since Christmas I did the mfp figures which put me at 1300 plus exercise calories (to lose 2llbs a week). Nothing happened. 3 weeks ago I went and had my rmr done and it was pretty high at 1770 cals. So that plus sedentary life put me at2200, minus 500 cals for wanting to lose weight, I am back to 1770, then adding in exercise cals puts me now anywhere between 1770 and 2200 . Still haven't budged on those scales in three weeks.. Can you imagine how disheartened and sad I feel? I exercise 6 times a wok at different things and intensity. Tennis, jog, insanity, circuit and boxercise. I measure myself instead of weigh and yes there is minimal differences...but I feel like I have wasted 5 months! Someone said we are not unique like a snowflake, but I sure feel like one. What am I doing wrong, why does nothing work for me?

40 years old/ 164lb/ 5ft8