Women, losing weight eating 1700+ calories?

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If anything, you could probably stand to eat a bit more. I would consider that to be the next level up in terms of calculating your tdee. If you are losing, I would not worry. If you start struggling to complete the workouts or start feeling overly hungry or like binging, then you might want to reconsider your calorie intake.
  • c2jvintage
    c2jvintage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am doing TDEE- 20%. It goes off of exercise per week...since you mention exercise but not how much I tried your info at 1-3 hours per week, that gave me 1642 calories per day for losing 3.3 pounds per month. If you are doing 3-5 hours per week it bumps up to 1851 with 3.8 pounds lost per month. With TDEE you do not eat back your calories since activity is figured in. There is other levels of activity you could bump up to, I just tried those two with your info, if you are exercising more than 5 hours per week then you would need to change it. Scooby's workshop I think is the most accurate calculator. This is the link http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I think that at 5'8" you are getting pretty close to your goal so 2 pounds per week is going to be difficult, but that is just my opinion. So, I would try eating TDEE-20% and see how it goes. Just looking at this thread gives me hope that I am doing something right, since there are so many great results! Good Luck! :)
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im 5ft4 and weigh 161lbs.

I eat 1700 cals a day, exercise 2-3 times a week and ive lost 9lb in 4 weeks.

Good luck

(Im also doing TDEE-20%)
  • DebiS1972
    Options
    Thanks guys, but TDEE works out/guesses at your BMR. As I know mine exactly as I have had it tested, it means that I can use that figure...so on scoobys site it guesses my BMR is 1208 but it is actually 1770.(this is the amount of cals I need to just survive) so the TDEE thing doesn't work out right for me unless I use my BMR and then even when I look at his results, that is what I was doing a few weeks ago when I still wasn't losing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 1900 calories. I will go as low as 1700 on occasion.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You take your BMR, and you multiply it by an activity factor based on how active you are to figure out your estimated TDEE. Then you reduce by 20% and do not eat back exercise calories since that is figured in to your TDEE.

Activity Factors
    Sedentary = 1.2
    Lightly Active = 1.3
    Moderately Active = 1.5
    Highly Active = 1.7
    Extremely Active = 1.9
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You will lose fat if you are working out that much, and you will need the extra calories.

Some days I do Ripped in 30 on top of Insanity, but I am mostly focused on Insanity. I eat around 1500 - 1800 cals a day.

I also would not focus as much on the scale but more on your measurements. My weight goes down very slowly but inches are coming off fast.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, but TDEE works out/guesses at your BMR. As I know mine exactly as I have had it tested, it means that I can use that figure...so on scoobys site it guesses my BMR is 1208 but it is actually 1770.(this is the amount of cals I need to just survive) so the TDEE thing doesn't work out right for me unless I use my BMR and then even when I look at his results, that is what I was doing a few weeks ago when I still wasn't losing.

I calculated my TDEE after logging my food for six months. Most of the calculators give me a TDEE of 2100-2300, and that Katch-Mcardle one that people like to brag about, gives me a TDEE of only 1900! They are a good place to start when you have no clue, but once you have been logging for a while, you can figure out your true TDEE.

This is the best thread I've seen on that topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4 and down to 141 and reset how much each week I'd like to lose to 0.5lbs and its given me 1600 kcals
    And I was worried it was too many. So gonna give it a week and see how we go.
    I don't do loads of consisant exercise at mo.

My problem is I gotta start giving into chocolate and sweets I can't just have one. Xxx
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Been at 1800+ calories for nearly a year. I'm near goal weight, but even better, I'm losing fat and inches and going broke buying smaller clothes, even when the scale didn't move for six months.

I follow the road map method, and my macros are 40/30/30. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

My diary is open, although the past four days are not typical as I've been sick and camped out on my sofa since Thursday. :tongue:
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump? Anyone else??? I'm loving the stories. I recently (2 weeks ago ish) upped my cals to 1700 after recalculating my TDEE -20% and haven't seen a ton of results yet but I'm committing to 6 weeks before I judge. Anymore insight out there MFP'ers?

:flowerforyou:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Currently eating 1780 + exercise calories. I was at 1660 + exercise, but was losing weight too quickly (about a pound and a half per week instead of a nice slow and steady half a pound a week) so upped calories slightly and have tried to reduce the buffer I used to leave at the end of the day (was ~200 calories, meant to cover things I missed or wasn't sure of, but since I was losing faster than I meant to I guess I didn't need it).

Still losing at 1780+. I'm 49, 5'7", and 162 pounds. Now seem to be at the rate I wanted of .5 pound a week, maybe a little more as I've seen a lower weight on the scale twice but haven't recorded it yet as I suspect I was a little dehydrated at least one of the times I saw it.
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am 225, started out at 238. Eat 1750 ish and am losing weight slowly but surely. And I don't do much exercise!
  • Amanda131314
    Options
    I am also getting very frustrated. I am 26 years old and 5'6.5" 220 lbs. I started at 240 lbs and the first 20 lbs came off with no problem. I am running on my treadmill for 30 mins 4 days a week (1 min at 3.2 m/per hour than 1 min at 5.0 m/ per hour-switching back and forth for 30 minutes - 200 cal). I also do a one hour yoga class one day a week. I eat between 1500 - 1900 calroies a day (not including the calories I excercise off) and I have been plateau for almost 6 weeks. I am still sticking with all the good diet and excercise because I feel better. The whole reason I started this was a combination of wanting to lose weight, be healthier and live longer and be a good example to my future children. But it is hard not to get discourage when I am working so hard and not seeing it on the scales. Can anyone out there relate? Any advice?
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm heavier than you, and I don't work out as much (3 days cardio, 3 days lifting). My calories are set at 1720, and I eat back all exercise calories. Most days I gross around 2000. I've found that if I net too low on a regular basis, like under 1620 each day, I plateau. If I'm right on target for the week, I usually drop 1-1.5 pounds. I concentrate more on my weekly totals than daily. It took me awhile to get my head around the fact that I don't want to dip too far below my weekly allotment since that's already a 20% deficit.
  • Amanda131314
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to start focusing more on my weekly numbers see if that helps. I am also wondering if I should be mixing in some lifting with my cardio to keep my body guessing. Does anyone out there know if that could help? I always thought of cardio as weight lose and lifting as muscle building (toning - once you reached your goals). But that is probably a miss conception. Besides I guess muscle burns fat so it cant hurt.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Lifting is the way to go.