Hot and Healthy

Options
... Is it possible? I'm taking low cal foods, preferably Paleo like salad, but HOT.

It's WINTER. I want comfort food! But, healthy. Is there such a thing as a hot salad? To be honest it sounds gross. Any suggestions? I know chicken would be reccommended and seriously I cannot get enough chicken, I love it so hard... But it's not low cal. It's like 50-80cals an ounce!

I need your help. I need your recipes!

Signed,

Hot and Healthy

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Brothy soups. Homemade, preferably, canned ones tend to have a lot of added stuff.
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I thought about broth...
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What kind of a calorie count are you trying to stick to for your meals? I've never thought about chicken having too many calories. In fact, when I started logging I was surprised by how low the count was. If you buy the pre-portioned kind (I buy Bare Naked at Target) they come individually wrapped in 4oz portions and are less than 200 calories.

This website is amazing. Skinnytaste.com

I suggest the spaghetti squash and cheese recipe. So amazing and guilt-free.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    What the heck? Why are your goal calories so dang low?! No wonder you think chicken is too high in calories... you are eating a very low calorie diet. Lower the healthy.
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    My cal target is low, I'll freely admit, and I don't want to hear it about "In place of a roadmap" or anything like that. It's was dr recommended, and it's working. And it has worked for a while now.

I have a NET of 800 cals. I usually bust out 300-400 cals of exercise a day, putting me at 1200~ish cal goal if I wasn't eating my exercise cals back, but at 800 cals I am. Hence, if I want dinner, I want something low calorie. My BMR is 1627, my TDEE is 2525. I lose and plateau and lose on this plan, and have been like that for months. Some days, I eat more than my BMR, but the next day I'm back to the 800. I'm not "constant 800" as I have "cheat days" and days to indulge to "shock" my system, so it doesn't get into a rut.

So I don't really want a 200 cal piece of chicken, plus 100-200 cals or so for a side, plus any cals in the spices or in my drink.
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    Also, I asked for recipes, not diet criticism.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ever think you're craving more simply because your body needs more? Looking at your diary, I can imagine I'd be hungry all the time!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wow for someone that claims to be an honour roll student and spelling bee champ you sure aren't acting very smart!

No doctor would have told you to eat 2 special K bars and 2 slim fast bars and NOTHING else all day. You have days where you are eating only 200, 300 and 400 calories! You aren't netting 1200.

Try to open your mind and listen to some good advice like was given below. By the way the road map works you should try it instead of starving yourself into hospital!
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    Wow for someone that claims to be an honour roll student and spelling bee champ you sure aren't acting very smart!

Try to open your mind and listen to some good advice like was given below. By the way the road map works you should try it instead of starving yourself into hospital!

Wow. Insulting me now?

I've tried something extremely similar to In Place of a Roadmap, I've tried "Eat More to Weigh Less". They did not work. I tried them for months before I started here and they didn't work.

I've also asked for recipes. Apparently that won't work either.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

well you said hot AND healthy...and this is NOT healthy.

sorry.

all i can say is why?????
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    For the sake of my sanity....

I'm asking for healthy recipes. Just... God damn. Keyword is HEALTHY, maybe so I can become a bit healthier?
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This evening for dinner I made baked spaghetti squash and smothered it in some homemade zuccini marinara, with a side of steamed broccoli. Hot, delicious, and healthy! ^_^
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    This evening for dinner I made baked spaghetti squash and smothered it in some homemade zuccini marinara, with a side of steamed broccoli. Hot, delicious, and healthy! ^_^

Omigawd.

THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY READING MY QUESTION AND ANSWERING IT APPROPRIATELY.

Also you look cute as a button.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

There are 8 bajillion recipe blogs online. You can search for healthy recipes, low calorie recipes, whatever. Heck, I spent an hour today gathering new recipes from Tastespotting by searching for some ingredients I was interested in. But when you post on a message board, people are going to respond the way they like.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Look @ www.skinnytaste.com there are a lot of comfort recipes made light and they are good too!!!
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Omigawd.

THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY READING MY QUESTION AND ANSWERING IT APPROPRIATELY.

Also you look cute as a button.

Thank you. :flowerforyou:
    Sometimes I also just have a huge plate of steamed veggies for dinner with some sea salt and lemon juice. It's very satisfying.
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love to sautee some fresh onions and mushrooms, then add them to a large can of diced tomatoes (juice and all) in the crockpot. Then I'll brown a pound of lean ground turkey and toss that in as well. Add some low-fat, low-sodium beef broth, and a splash of dry red (or white) wine, chili powder, and let it cook for a few hours. High protein, low fat, low carb, and LOTS of YUM.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Well someone has their panties in a wad tonight...... yeah you asked for recipes, but this is the Internet so you will get other responses

Eating so low is not healthy at all..your body needs MOARRRRR food.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Seems like someone has a case of the *hangrys*.

I get a little nasty too when I haven't had enough food.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If I want a hot salad, I literally just microwave it. It's not as weird as it sounds - spinach, corn, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, edamame just warmed in the microwave for a minute or two. Toast some nuts on the side, maybe some salmon, dress with olive oil and an acid of choice.