Tilapia Question

Options
Hello everybody! I'm not a chef, nor am I Martha Stewart, Betty Crocker, or Monique in the kitchen. But seeing that I'm on this health thing...I'm trying to eat better by cooking instead. Now...important to know...I DO NOT FRY. I'll repeat...I DO NOT FRY. The only way I cook is if it involves grilling, steaming, or baking. Yesterday, I attempted to cook Tilapia for the first time and used WAY too much seasoning, I had to mix some veggies up with it just to eat it. Anyway, I saw my man-friend cook the fish and put some seasoning called SAZON on it. OH HOW DELISHHHHHH!!!! I tried to find the seasoning and couldn't. So, I got OLD BAY instead and didn't realize the salt content that it contained. SOOOOO with that LONG story I need some ideas on what to do with tilapia and spices other than LEMON-PEPPER, which someone else has already advised me of, that I can use. Whatever advise you can lend will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I'm really into smoked paprika right now.

I also like trader joes roasted red pepper and artichoke tapanede smeared on fish then baked.
  • 2011Bluez
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'm making a note of it!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Sazon is in your spanish section by the condiments. Usually by Goya stuff. It's in a very thin rectangular orange colored box. This seasoning will turn anything you put it on a beautiful orange color. It's also very salty so you only need a little amount. I'm Puerto Rican and use it on mostly all my meats and when I am cooking things I want to make look vibrant.

Another good way to cook fish or Tilapia in your case is to use salt pepper and white cooking wine. Seal it up and bake it and the wine creates a steam like atmosphere :)
  • deejess78
    deejess78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook tilapia or any fish, is to bake it or broil it.
    Seasonings I use and my family loves it!
    Garlic powder
    Garlic salt
    alot of paprika sprinkled all over the fish
    black pepper
    cayene, Just a bit..... too much and its too spicey.
    Molly McButter,,,,, I sprinkle it all over the fish and it tastes buttery but no calories from it.

Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes or until it flakes. I like Swai fish the best, its very mild and not fishy at all. You can find it everywhere now. Swai is individually packaged,,, we love it!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I never had Molly Mcbutter, sounds interesting :)
  • PeriwinklePineapple
    Options
    I always bake it. I try different things usually, but i really like chopping or mincing about a clove of garlic per fillet, and then spreading that over the fish. Then maybe some crushed red pepper, turmeric or paprika, and as you mentioned, lemon is awesome :-)
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Cook it any way you like and then drizzle some browned butter and balsamic reduction on it. Mm. Marinated in Cajun spices and grilled with a lime wedge is yummy too.
  • klloyd
    klloyd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I cooked some the other day using a ez recipe from cooking light. you can look it up online by name- cod fillet with kettle chips. I didn't use the ranch. Its actually 160-180 cal and 8 grams fat. (its on myfitnsspal food list) I used the tilapia instead of cod. very tasty and NOT greasy.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook tilapia or any fish, is to bake it or broil it.
    Seasonings I use and my family loves it!
    Garlic powder
    Garlic salt
    alot of paprika sprinkled all over the fish
    black pepper
    cayene, Just a bit..... too much and its too spicey.
    Molly McButter,,,,, I sprinkle it all over the fish and it tastes buttery but no calories from it.

Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes or until it flakes. I like Swai fish the best, its very mild and not fishy at all. You can find it everywhere now. Swai is individually packaged,,, we love it!

I can't wait to try this!!! My mouth is watering right now!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thyme, curry, cumin, nutmeg, pink peppercorn, lime and cilantro, parsley.....

so many spices and herbs out there to try.

my advice is to go to a spice shop and play around and try new stuff.

my new favorite is a new spicy and sweet glaze/sauce i've been perfecting.

it has berries, thai chilis, thai fish oil, cilantro, parsley, onions, jam, tomato paste and other stuff in it. i just simmer it down. it's delicious on meatballs and is pretty good when brushed on seafood
  • PreggoRocker
    Options
    depending on how thick the fillet is, i like to coat it with crushed pistachios and bake it or just broil with lemon/lime juice and butter
  • xxtaliaxx
    Options
    I actually just made tilapia last night! I usually just use the McCormick All Purpose Seasoning with no MSG (I looked on the back at the ingredients before I purchased and there's no salt in it! Just whole seasonings!) and a little cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Putting lemon juice on tilapia has got to be the most amazing thing I have ever discovered. Hope that helps!
  • ecelestial
    Options
    I really want to get that Sazon stuff now, sounds amazing! I like to use garlic powder, and dill. I just recently got Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute, and that's pretty good and versatile too.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been using a seasoning blend made by Kroger called Zesty Seasoning Blend. It has no salt in it and has wonderful flavor, I've used it on fish and meats, and in soups and stews. It's not hot spicy, just very flavorful.
  • 2fatz
    2fatz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My favorite for many years for most any pan fish is to brown it in a pat of butter or margarine, remove from the pan when both sides are browned and the flesh is white/flaky. Don't let it burn! Then add another pat of butter (or I'm currently liking Fleishmann's olive oil spread w/ sea salt instead, or olive oil) or tsp of olive oil to the pan, heat for maybe 20 seconds, add the juice of half or a whole lemon, it will start to bubble and boil, immediately add sliced almonds (maybe 1-2 tbsp whatever your diet plan can afford), stir a few seconds (don't let this yummy reduction boil away) and pour it all on your fish. This is so simple and quick. The cooking down/deglazing with the lemon juice lets you keep all the flavor of the fish but it doesn't taste "fish-oily." You could use all olive oil and no butter if you want, it may not brown up quite as much though.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    WELL....I tried the Sazon spice and my fish tasted like the ocean...BLECH...I can't wait to try the spice again when I get some good tilapia..
  • kimberly728
    Options
    i only even bake mine. i juice a whole lemon and put just about 1/4 tsp old bay and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. mix that together and pour it on the tilapia. im a baltimore girl so i use old bay on EVERYTHING. i just limit my salt intake with the other things i eat.
  • Ready2Serve
    Ready2Serve Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use spray butter and parmesan cheese on the grill.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    For a lot of seafood I use Cavender's No salt Greek seasoning and Paul Prudhomme's no salt seasoning. I have every imaginable and healthy low or no sodium available, but these two work great in a pinch. I also will cut a fresh lime and squeeze a bit under and on top of the filet while I bake it. Tilapia is cool as it is kinda the chicken of the fish world and is low in cholesterol and sodium. Oh, a bit of olive or coconut oil brushed on is nice as well both for cooking and for taste.

I have to be in the low sodium area at my age...there are ways to do it. Good luck!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My favorite is baked with fresh lemon juice and some lemon pepper!! I could eat it every night!