Struggling with making 1200 calories....

Options
i ate 1150 calories today and I feel disgustingly full. I don't feel like this is healthy or normal especially considering that i used to consume 3000+ calories easily everyday about a month prior to this.

I'm trying to make 1200-1400 everyday but I'm finding that most days i have to force myself to eat dinner. i see people here saying that 1200 is way too low of an intake.... and i believe it and it worries me.

i dont know what to make of this.... People are telling me because i'm eating a lot of fruits and veggies that i'm going to feel fuller for longer but this is just insane to me. I never though in a million years i could eat 1200 calories and be fine.

Is there anyone out there like me?

Replies

• FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't know why..but things such as quinoa and baby spinach make me feel so full i can barely make it through each meal. If i eat clean, its extremely hard for me to make it even over 1000 cals. I try to include higher calorie things such as avacado, peanut butter, or almonds so dont have to eat such a huge quantity and feel overstuffed to get my cals in.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yea i've been eating a ton of spinach
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Add some healthy oils. It's what I just started to do. I had the same problem that I couldn't eat my 1200 calories.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there like me?

I'd say that 20% of the threads at on this forum are about this exact topic.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I'm not sure what you tend to eat, but as another person said, you can always try adding in small, calorie-dense foods, especially things that are high in good fats - nuts/nut butters, avocados, full fat dairy (chocolate milk, mmmm), dark chocolate. A cup of full fat greek yogurt with some peanut butter and honey can be around ~300 calories and is a pretty delicious snack or dessert.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Google calorie dense foods. I now do 1700 normally and had to include calorie dense foods to get there.

Nuts
    Hummous
    Olive oil (good fats)
    Avacado if you like it (I dont)
    Real butter
    BACON. Just coz its awesome! Lol.

500 calorie breakfast... 2 eggs, 2 bacon and 1 toast with butter. You can then max out on your veggies at lunch and dinner. This is just an example.

Know there's loads more!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Often we try to go straight by hitting traditional "diet" foods - veggies and lean proteins - and avoiding anything with fat in it. You need the fats for your body to function properly. Add olive oil when making salads or cooking; have some peanut butter with an apple, a handful of nuts here or there....
  • FitnessWithaTwist
    Options
    sounds like anorexia...good luck! food is food..stop worrying whats what and eat
  • Ashley_Megan
    Ashley_Megan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. I heard you're supposed to eat back what you burned off...which would bring me back up to 1700 cal approx but I have trouble just getting to 1200 sometimes. It's frustrating ;(
  • valeriebelle2
    valeriebelle2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have learned that fast foods and pleasure foods (hambugers, fries, soda, pizza, burritos, ice cream) contain a large amount of calories per serving. Im on a 1300 cal diet and one burger at mcdonalds is almost my whole days intake. eating foods that give your body nutrition contain less calories per serving and you have to eat more. i hope this helps. :) Try more whole grains. brown rice, beans, whole grain bread. I try to have a searving of protein, fiber, and vegetable per meal. This is around 400-500 calories times 3.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    when i was struggling to figure out how to up my calories to that much i hit the same problem. my stomach was so small that i felt nauseous all the time when i consumed a bunch. now i am able to hit 1800 easily.
    things that worked for me :

peanut butter
    shakes (protein powder can be 150 easily, & yogurt & pb & flax seed)
    use oils for cooking (healthy ones)
    more calorie dense food!

its a work in progress, but its not impossible <3
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Often we try to go straight by hitting traditional "diet" foods - veggies and lean proteins - and avoiding anything with fat in it. You need the fats for your body to function properly. Add olive oil when making salads or cooking; have some peanut butter with an apple, a handful of nuts here or there....

This.

And use your food diary to plan your meals instead of just to record. Enter everything you're going to eat early in the day, or even the day before, and if you fall short, see where you can tweak it. It's a lot easier to add 100 calories to each meal than it is to add 300 calories at the end of the day. Check your macro (protein, carbs, fat) settings to see what's missing. If you're low on fat, add stuff like avocado, nuts or nut butters, dairy. If you're low on protein, make your servings of your protein source a little bigger. An extra ounce of chicken or fish at dinner, some jerky as a snack, two more slices of lunchmeat on a sandwish, protein bars or shakes, etc. If it's carbs that are low, make sure you're getting your recommended amounts of fruit and veg first, but if you're otherwise getting all your nutrition... eat whatever you want.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

This.

And use your food diary to plan your meals instead of just to record. Enter everything you're going to eat early in the day, or even the day before, and if you fall short, see where you can tweak it. It's a lot easier to add 100 calories to each meal than it is to add 300 calories at the end of the day. Check your macro (protein, carbs, fat) settings to see what's missing. If you're low on fat, add stuff like avocado, nuts or nut butters, dairy. If you're low on protein, make your servings of your protein source a little bigger. An extra ounce of chicken or fish at dinner, some jerky as a snack, two more slices of lunchmeat on a sandwish, protein bars or shakes, etc. If it's carbs that are low, make sure you're getting your recommended amounts of fruit and veg first, but if you're otherwise getting all your nutrition... eat whatever you want.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Eat a burger.

or ice cream.

Pu ... You always have an answer!! :) You're awesome!!
  • erickita89
    Options
    I only cook with olive oil :)
  • erickita89
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I'm not sure what you tend to eat, but as another person said, you can always try adding in small, calorie-dense foods, especially things that are high in good fats - nuts/nut butters, avocados, full fat dairy (chocolate milk, mmmm), dark chocolate. A cup of full fat greek yogurt with some peanut butter and honey can be around ~300 calories and is a pretty delicious snack or dessert.
    I opened my diary to the public i eat avocados and nuts from time to time.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks eating at 1200 I was like that but then I started upping my activity levels and all of a sudden I got hungrier. Maybe that would help???
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats, such as olive oil while cooking works, nuts such as cashews, peanuts, almonds help with calories. Also you can make a home made hummus that has low salt, and higher calories ( low sodium chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, dill - mashed up)!
  • erickita89
    Options
    sounds like anorexia...good luck! food is food..stop worrying whats what and eat
    lol im no where near anorexic buddy! im 194 lbs lol and i love food. Its just that im never in the mood to eat anymore. it feels like a chore. i feel like i should only be eating when im hungry, but if i do that, then i will slow down my metabolism and be eating one meal a day probably :(
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I only cook with olive oil :)
    Thats a terrible idea unless you only eat things that require low heat only. Olive oil companies are good at advertising but I don't really care. If Im making something yummy and hot Im not going to do it with something that smokes at 191 degrees C.