Can you drink diet coke and still lose weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Can you? Sure. I have some frequently. Is it the healthiest choice? Probably not. But if it keeps you on track...why not?
  • hannahwilllose14
    hannahwilllose14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It hasn't effected my weight loss. I pick up a couple bottles every time I go to the gas station or in line at the grocery store, so it's not every day but I do still drink it.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! :smile:

I am new to MFP and was just looking to know if it is healthy to drink one can of diet coke per day? My friend is at slimming world and she says that you can drink as much as you want when losing weight.. However, after doing some online research I have found some sites saying it is extremely unhealthy due to the extra chemicals used etc! Would be most grateful for your comments as im extremely confused lol x

Yep-I drank 6+ cans of diet coke a day while actively losing weight and lost with no problem. I'm in maintenance now and drink around 4 cans of diet a day (as well as some regular now too).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I drank 1-2 cans daily until about 3 months ago and was losing weight steadily before and after.
    It seriously seems to have had no positive or negative impact on my loss. I am losing at the same rate.
  • zihlman
    Options
    I've heard more lately about studies showing that diet soda is more related to weight gain than weight loss. There's a good article in USATODAY here that talks about it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You can include all sorts of BS in your diet and still lose weight. The real question is can you regularly consume that crap and maintain good health, year after year?
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ok this is my general opinion.
    Anything in moderation is FINE.
    The chemicals in diet sodas are not healthy for you in high consumption nor is the non-diet sodas.
    I've seen people lose weight including myself with diet soda in their diets.
    You obviously want to consume mostly water.
    Everyone has some kind of a hate opinion towards this and I can understand your beliefs and probably legit resources although I have not seen anything horrible go wrong with drinking something like diet dr. pepper while trying to lose weight. Yes you might get bloated from the carbonation. Although if you do not have some kind of tasty consumption that you have ONCE in a while while dieting you are losing weight you will more than likely to go insane and just stop altogether.
    This is my two cents coming from someone that use to be a 300lb kid.

This this this thishisthithsithishtishti
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I am new to MFP and was just looking to know if it is healthy to drink one can of diet coke per day? My friend is at slimming world and she says that you can drink as much as you want when losing weight.. However, after doing some online research I have found some sites saying it is extremely unhealthy due to the extra chemicals used etc! Would be most grateful for your comments as im extremely confused lol x

Diet pop is ZERO calories. You will not gain weight from it.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I drink almost one can of coke zero a day and I have been losing weight. I just watch the calories I consume!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Obviously, there is a lot of controversy over this. My feeling is that it affects people differently, so you have to learn how it affects you personally.

For me, diet soda is my main source of caffeine, so it helps me fight the afternoon slump, and also curbs my appetite which seems to increase when I am tired or sleepy. Since I am diabetic, I never drink any sugared drinks, but I do think they can also be included in a weight-loss plan, and don't have a problem with them personally, I just choose not to drink my calories. I get much more satisfaction from a cookie!
  • pcoventry76
    Options
    Diet pop is ZERO calories. You will not gain weight from it.

Sorry I know this thread is a year old.

Here in the UK a 1.75L bottle of coke zero has 7 calories in it. (1 x 250ml) Now that's less than the sunflower spray I put on before I cook my protein.

So I used to drink it all the time now I drink it maybe 2 glasses a day. I drink water but I find that knowing it's in the fridge for me makes me stick to water more.

In any case If I was to drink 6 bottles a week I would only be having 42 calories. It's nothing really.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I drink probably 2-3 cans of diet soda a day. I have for probably about 10 years or so and I'm fine & I lose weight. I also don't crave sugar though like some people do from consuming sweeteners like splenda or aspatame. In fact, I almost never want sugar. Bleck!
  • pcoventry76
    pcoventry76 Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I used to get dizzy if I never had sugar but I think it's fizzy pop that I wanted. I don't have sugar in my tea and coke zero seems to give me what I need so that I don't get dixxy anymore. Which is good because there a tiny bit of salt which won't harm me and 7 calories in a bottle as I said above.

I find that 2 glasses a day in between my protein shakes and in the evening sorts me out.

I believe this sums it up nicely.

http://weightloss.answers.com/nutrition/lose-weight-with-coke-zero-in-your-diet

and this

http://www.aspartame.org/new-research-analyzing-35-years-of-data-confirms-positive-effects-of-low-calorie-sweeteners-in-weight-loss/#.U3Jk8ij0lxU
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    amybabs92 wrote: »

Healthy/= weight loss. (I mean for *kitten*'s sake CHEMOTHERAPY patients lose LOTS of weight. Dying at 98 lbs when you weighed 240 lbs because you had pancreatic cancer doesn't mean you got HEALTHY! -- Sorry. Peeve and an aunt who was congratulated for her weight loss in chemo when she was damned well dying. But you get my point)

So, back on topic. Is lots of soda good for you? Not particularly. But if it has no calories, it isn't going to interfere with weight loss.

Sometimes, it's a balance. Yeah, I'll have the occasional soda, but it's not a usual thing.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I drink regular Coke once or twice a week and still losing weight!! :drinker: