Correct Calories but not Healthy Food?

Options
124»

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Personally, i find it better to focus first on the calories, then on the macros, then on making healthy choices where possible, and then on generally avoiding the idea of prohibiting certain foods or certain categories. It's still possible to consume too many calories, even on "healthy" foods. It may not be easy, but it's possible. That's why I think the OP is on the right track by reining this aspect in first.

I usually find that my macros have fallen in line as long as I watch the calories, but part of that comes from trying to consciously balance my diet by simply including all 4 food groups.

The "healthy choices" is where it becomes a little more difficult. Yes, you can usually eat a higher volume of healthy food for the same amount of calories as you'd get from junk food, but you still have to take the time to prepare and consume. It's entirely doable, but can simply be harder to fit into your life.

For example: I once tried one of those Jimmy Dean Breakfast skillet kits (the kind where you just add your own eggs and cook them up) and I liked it. Then, I looked at it and wondered if it would be possible to try to essentially do the same thing, only using "fresh" ingredients. I found that buying all the itmes in the Jimmy Dean package on my own meant I increased the total volume of food while also improving the nutritional value- yielding a healther calorie value while also greatly reducing the amount of sodium and the number of ingredients I had to look up in a dictionary. Not only did the volume of food increase, but the total price per unit of volume dropped, too! Better taste, better health, and better price. -- But it does take a little more time to prepare than the original skillet kit, and it takes a LOT more time than it does to get a breakfast combo at a restaurant. It also means I'm cleaning more dishes and tools on my cooking night and that I'm going to have to wash more dishes through the week because I'm not eating food from a disposable container.

Other options, such as tossing a couple pieces of fruit in the lunch bag to avoid being tempted by the snack machine, are easier to do.

In my opinion, categorically prohibiting foods can be one of the worst things to do, especialy at the start, simply because syaing "Absolutely no ______", makes your diet less flexible. That can be an issue if you may not have the luxury of being able to be picky about your foods. It can also affect the social aspect of eating because you "can't eat" at the restaurant where your friends / coworkers are going. (It becomes especially annoying if the dieter in the group also happens to be the kind of person to look at other people's plates and whistfully, and audibly, bemoan the point that "I love those, but I can't eat them, anymore". It's one thing if it's because of a food allergy. But seriously, if you can't eat it because of a diet YOU chose to follow, please be quieter about it.) Worst of all, it can make your diet feel punitive by taking away something in your life that you enjoy.

As one becomes accustomed to watching calories, balancing meals, and making healthy choices, the desire for "junk" food may decrease as they find healthier options they enjoy as much as, if not more than, the junk. Still, the occasional, reasonable indulgence won't hurt.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yep I feel embarrassed when I look at other peoples daily journal. I still have a real snack but try to stay within my daily caloric range. Seems to be working for me. If I don't I think I might just over eat

I think other people should be embarrassed when they look at my diary and find out what they're missing. :laugh:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I honestly am one of those people who eats a ton of more processed stuff - Special K flatbread sandwiches for breakfast, a lean cuisine or some kind of equivalent for lunch...dinner is whatever I can throw together in about twenty minutes. I'm all about convenience and I'm always always on the go. On top of working full time I own my own business, so after my "real job" I'm not at a standstill until my head hits the pillow. Right now it's hard enough to go to the gym 4 times a week, let alone plan, cook and pack up a week's worth of breakfasts, lunches and dinners whenever I have a free moment to heat up later. I'm still learning how to balance everything - I WILL get there, but for now I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants so to speak and making it work however I can. :)

So far, I've only had fast food (unless you count Subway) twice, and while I go over my sodium regularly, I truly believe the 12-16 glasses of water I consume daily helps take care of that! :) I've never had a problem with my blood pressure or blood work from it when I was eating worse even so I'm not too concerned about it unless my doctor says something new has come up!