Which scale do I believe?

Options
2»

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Whichever scale faces due north

This. Or, you could ignore it all together and go by how your clothes fit.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Whichever scale faces due north

Please stop trolling. Everyone knows that direction makes no difference.

Use the one that's closer to sea level, because you're lighter as you get further from the pull of earth's gravity. NO SECOND FLOOR SCALES

Davpul, is just messing with you. The further you get away from earth the lighter your scale will read.

you weigh less the higher you are because you are increasing the distance between you and the center of the earth.
    If you can stand on scale in upper atmosphere you will weigh less than when standing on earths surface

you weigh less at the equator then you do at the poles, because of centrifugal force.

be careful as there are masscons around the world, areas where gravity is a bit higher because the material under that spot is of a higher density than average. If don't like scale, take scale few hundred miles to different location and try again

Below sea level it gets complicated. You are closer to the center of the earth so gravity should increase, but you are below some of the material, and it's pull is upwards, canceling some of the gravity. On total, I think the gravity is reduced as you go deeper. If you could get to the center of the earth, the gravity would be zero.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Davpul, is just messing with you. The further you get away from earth the lighter your scale will read.

you weigh less the higher you are because you are increasing the distance between you and the center of the earth.
    If you can stand on scale in upper atmosphere you will weigh less than when standing on earths surface

you weigh less at the equator then you do at the poles, because of centrifugal force.

be careful as there are masscons around the world, areas where gravity is a bit higher because the material under that spot is of a higher density than average. If don't like scale, take scale few hundred miles to different location and try again

Below sea level it gets complicated. You are closer to the center of the earth so gravity should increase, but you are below some of the material, and it's pull is upwards, canceling some of the gravity. On total, I think the gravity is reduced as you go deeper. If you could get to the center of the earth, the gravity would be zero.

This was confusing and long, it must be right. I hereby rescind my earlier recommendation in light of new information.
  • runwmeNC
    Options

This was confusing and long, it must be right. I hereby rescind my earlier recommendation in light of new information.

Correct in your summation. It was intentionally written confusing and long to give it an air of believability :) lol
  • iggylove123
    Options
    Weird because the scale that says I weigh less is also the one closest to sea level! I live on the second floor! I do have access to only my scale every morning though so I guess I'll just go with this measurement to track my weight loss :) thanks everyone!
  • runwmeNC
    Options
    If you have an elevator, put scale in the elevator and step on it. Press down button and don't look at scale until elev starts moving , then quickly look down and record results as elevator starts accelerating.

Not something I'd do everyday, just the day after binging on pizza and beer.... it helps me maintain my weight and reaffirm that I'm keeping up with my healthy calorie deficient went loss program.

Side not, if you accidentally hit the up button, don't look at scale as it will be horribly skewed and not accurately reflect the weight loss it needs to show.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It doesnt really matter, just use one of the two exclusively to track your progress
  • starsonlyhope
    Options
    Basically what everyone else said. Shoot for consistency. I use the WiiFit to track my weight, which I know is not the most accurate scale, but I use it every morning, so it's the most consistent (and convenient) for me.