Anyone here a vegetarian/vegan?

Options

Replies

• NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian but do eat egg whites at times for b'fast to get the protein. My dairy is open if you want to take a look.
    I have soups, veg and tofu stir fry, Indian food etc.,
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Mostly vegan (about 95% of meals) for about 2.5 years. I started because I needed to cook for a vegan. I've kept it up because I feel better and maintain my weight easier on a mostly vegan diet.

There are way too many good foods to name my favorite single one. I'd have to say Thai food is my favorite cuisine due to all of the great flavors. I honestly don't really miss meat very much because there are so many great options.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Been a vegetarian for 30 years, I'm another one who doesn't like the texture of meat. My favourite meal is roasted butternut squash risotto, delicious!
  • ohkaynow
    ohkaynow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am mostly vegetarian, because I don't agree with the meat industry.

I have tons of favorite veg-friendly foods, the most addictive being roasted chickpeas! I also agree with the person that said butternut risotto (I do mine with chestnuts and it is so sweet and savory), and recently I've mastered baking souffles, which is wonderful. Mostly I subsist on lots of Quorn products, and beans and rice which I really like jazzing up.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i love reading all of these suggestions and ideas. i've recently begun to cut down my meat intake with the intention of almost or completely eliminating it from my diet. i have a decent stockpile of vegetarian options because my brother has been vegetarian for seven years, but i'm always looking for new ideas.

i like black beans and rice. i also make a pasta dish with zucchini, tomatoes, and onions that i love. one of my staples in meat-free prep is better than bouillon vegetable base. it's the meatiest tasting veg base i've ever had. i used it in a veg risotto once and my brother freaked out because he thought it had meat!
  • em_twister_croff
    Options
    I am a vegan but i do eat salmon. It is mostly for the respect of animals even tho they are my favourite food. It is not hard because i love animals so much. I only have salmon once a month when i am hormonal and need a boost in protein etc but every other day nothing i eat is not vegan and mostly eat a fresh raw diet.
  • nasa91
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I eat eggs and dairy, but no meat or seafood. I've just never liked meat all that much. It baffles me how obsessed some people get about it. It's so boring to me!

I made pizza with caramelized onions and mushrooms for dinner tonight - one of my favorites. I also love vegetable curries, stir fries, omelets, and any combination of roasted vegetables, rice and beans you can think of.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. Unlike a lot of others here I loved meat. The taste, the texture, the convenience. Unfortunately I eventually lost the ability to convince myself that eating it was a good idea. Ethically, environmentally and in terms of a sharing of resources meat (because of the way we farm it) is just not a responsible choice.

If I ever have the opportunity to have my own chickens I might just go back to eating them.

I also feel compelled to add that I eat loads of eggs and realise that makes me somewhat of a hypocrite since I can almost guarantee (here in Japan) that they are coming from battery chickens.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh and favourite meal varies but I love this dahl.
    http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/best-ever-dahl-L2815.html
  • michellebellamy
    michellebellamy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Would you mind sharing your recipe for butternut squash risotto? I've never made this. Is it difficult?

Thanks!
    Michelle
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    vegan here. couple years now. doing it for ethical reasons (for the animals), but the health benefits are nice too :)

fave meal:
    --brown rice with vegetable and tofu (or nuts)
    --apple with peanut butter
    --big salad
    --take out (steamed chinese, or indian food, or vegan food)
  • Jacqsie
    Options
    Im vegaaaan! And i love butter beans with tomato, orange pepper and mushrooms :) also oats, almonds, pumpkin/sunflower/flax seed breakfast with a choice of cut up fruit :) optional sprinkle of cinnamon :)
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan. I'm in it for ethical reasons (primarily environmental, actually) though the health benefits are nothing to sneeze at. Fav meal has got to be a big veggie coconut curry with sweet potato, zucchini, and cauliflower.
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a Pescaterian (almost Vegetarian, because you eat fish). I have a lot of favorite foods, but I really love MorningStar Vegetarian cheeseburgers :3 Mmmm... I'm pretty addicted.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i am not vegan but my fav vegan meal is:
    brown rice w a black bean mango sauce w either a side of squash, zucchini, and/or sugar snap peas
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Vegan here!

Ethical reasoning behind my choice, I can sleep at night with a clear conscience now (I couldn't as a meat eater some 22 years ago).
  • kimclenard
    kimclenard Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For the last 4 years I have been a vegan. As I became more educated on what was happening to our planet, my body and the creatures that inhabit this world with us becoming a vegan was a logical choice for me. I love stir-fry's, soups, curries, salads and fruit. In the vegan journey I have truly found enjoyment in cooking and discovering new spices. I don't miss eating animal products and feel like every day my choice of being a vegan is good for my mind, body and soul.
  • tcline27
    tcline27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a vegetarian. I just recently added eggs but I am thinking about doing away with them again. I have never posted before, nor have I been on the Message Boards and I have logged in for 415 days LOL! I would like to see what other vegetarians eat. I decided to become a vegetarian January 2012, after watching Forks Over Knives.
  • Tiabean86
    Tiabean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am in my third day of my vegan journey. I am doing it for both ethical reasons and for the health of my kids and I. So far the best thing I have come across is black bean burgers! They were super yummy! It's a bit harder for me because I also can't eat gluten (I have Celiacs), soy (son is highly allergic), and I refuse to eat fake, processed, crappy food. I am new to this and would love some fellow vegetarian and vegan friends!
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yep! Strict vegan of 3 years here, vegetarian on and off for about 8 years before that. I went veg for ethical reasons, but I do think my diet is healthier... not necessarily lower in calories, but more fiber and other nutrients.

I don't have one favorite recipe because I like to experiment and I REALLY like to eat, LOL. But the thing I cook most often is lentil soup... sometimes plain with veggies, sometimes curried, sometimes with rice, you name it!

Edited to add: If you want to look at my diary feel free to add me. :)