Does Anyone do Their Own Taxes?

Options

Replies

• IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I do my own and I am self-employed. But I was also an accountant for about 15 years. So, it is pretty easy for me.
  • wendyd8918
    Options
    I use HR Block online every year. It is free but mine is super easy!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yes, with TurboTax.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do mine via Turbo Tax as well. We have tons of deductions as my husband has un-reimbursed travel expenses for work; kids; childcare; mortgage; student loans; charitable contribs. But it's still a breeze if you have all your supporting docs. Takes me about 2-3 hours to complete. I also opt for the audit protection because we do deduct so much and those tend to be flagged with the IRS for audit. We have friends in the same industry who have been audited multiple times, so I want to make sure I have representation if we end up in court. Even with purchasing that option and the state filing - it's cheaper than it was when we had a CPA do it for us.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I do mine but this year will be interesting. I have to figure out how to file a 1099 and w2.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have always done my own (free through Turbo Tax). The one time I tried going to someone, I got charged $200, did not get all the money I should have and ended up audited, so now I'm back to doing my own!!

And mine are always complicated (used to be head of household, now married filed jointly, switched jobs, have dependents, etc.), but TurboTax makes it easy to follow.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I do mine but this year will be interesting. I have to figure out how to file a 1099 and w2.

W-2 is what your job provides you so that you can file your taxes. You don't file that.
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do mine but I am an accountant lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I do. This is my first year itemized - since I bought a house and I'm head of household, but I'm also paying tax and penalty for a 401k withdrawal. I've worked it down to about $800 owed. I want to bash my face on my desk when I start working on it. It's been shelved for a few weeks. I'm not in the mood to finalize and send in.
    If you owe...no reason not to take your time (why pay the government any earlier than you have to, right?)
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Yep, I even do my boyfriends business taxes for him.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    TURBOTAX. Nuff said.:smile:
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Every year...i like to see the rape building up instead of the alley style surprise.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It's the state taxes that kill me, my husband worked in 3 different states last year...I want to CRY.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    I do. This is my first year itemized - since I bought a house and I'm head of household, but I'm also paying tax and penalty for a 401k withdrawal. I've worked it down to about $800 owed. I want to bash my face on my desk when I start working on it. It's been shelved for a few weeks. I'm not in the mood to finalize and send in.
    If you owe...no reason not to take your time (why pay the government any earlier than you have to, right?)

Exactly...I'll probably owe 1500...I'll pay a 100 bucks on the eftps site every once in awhile throughout the year..
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    I have a little tax story...About 15 years ago I traded stocks online..I made about 100 grand in trades..It's really not that much. Just trading 5 thousand dollars of stock back and forth several times. But I didn't add the trades to my taxes. Kind of just blew it off for whatever reason. Just a lot younger and a not so smart..LOL!!! Anyways..I couple of years later..I get a letter from the IRS saying I owed 40k..I laughed my a.s.s. off. I knew that wasn't even close..What happens is that Ameritrade only tells the IRS what you sold the stock for..They don't tell them what you bought it for..So with only half the information that's what they come up with...After I finally sat down and entered each stock trade into turbo tax. It took me awhile..Ended up owing 700 bucks plus a small penalty..
  • nyssalynne
    Options
    Yep, I've been doing mine since I was 16. I usually end up doing other people's too :laugh:

Me too!

37372224.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I do it through TurboTax as I will be doing enough tax forms by hand in my tax class this semester and I'm sure into the future LOL
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Doing the Taxes is easy. I use HR Block. It is the damn f$cking taxes I have to pay that is killing me. Because I made more than 165k but less than 250k, I lose all my deductions.
    IE: Mortgage, dependant children, college tuition, etc, etc, etc.....
    It is called AMT. Alternative Minimum Tax. I have to pay 4K between the Feds and NYC and NY State.

In turn, all three of my over the age of 18 boys, work and go to school. They make minimum money, but they get to take the tuition deduction and because they can't be claimed on my taxes(because I make too much), they get the extra money. But of course, it still doesn't make up for what I am paying.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I do mine through H and R Block website download.

Pretty sure that's what I did last year. It was pretty easy. First time doing my own taxes lol.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Doing the Taxes is easy. I use HR Block. It is the damn f$cking taxes I have to pay that is killing me. Because I made more than 165k but less than 250k, I lose all my deductions.
    IE: Mortgage, dependant children, college tuition, etc, etc, etc.....
    It is called AMT. Alternative Minimum Tax. I have to pay 4K between the Feds and NYC and NY State.

In turn, all three of my over the age of 18 boys, work and go to school. They make minimum money, but they get to take the tuition deduction and because they can't be claimed on my taxes(because I make too much), they get the extra money. But of course, it still doesn't make up for what I am paying.

I'll take 165k a year and your so called tax problems any day..