Is it okay if I "binge" my calories at night before bed?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    That's nice. There is still a huge difference between taking in a bunch of calories from junk food and from healthier choices. It is a lifestyle change ;). Also, you adding all your lovely titles just makes me laugh, but good for you. =]

But what if she didn't sign up for the Lifestyle Change? I only signed up for the Lose Weight and Look Hot package. So I eat whatever I want whenever I want and continue to improve my physique and vitals. The Lifestyle Change package required too much commitment, offered too little fun, and the people all seemed kinda preachy.

^^ This.

Yep - also, many people do not want a 'lifestyle' that does not include some 'junk'.

If you would've read my earlier post it said "eating junk food is fine, moderation is key"...

I think our definition of 'junk food' and 'moderation' may well be different.

That may be. I said nothing wrong in my first post and it seems like people just want to argue. I did not look at her diary, I went off of her stating she binged and saved her calories for junk and other snacks, that is it. I am not going to argue anymore because of what I said.

It's the whole 'lifestyle change' tone of your post that made me think we had a different definition..I was just making a comment, not actually arguing. *shrugs*
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    That's nice. There is still a huge difference between taking in a bunch of calories from junk food and from healthier choices. It is a lifestyle change ;). Also, you adding all your lovely titles just makes me laugh, but good for you. =]

But what if she didn't sign up for the Lifestyle Change? I only signed up for the Lose Weight and Look Hot package. So I eat whatever I want whenever I want and continue to improve my physique and vitals. The Lifestyle Change package required too much commitment, offered too little fun, and the people all seemed kinda preachy.

^^ This.

Yep - also, many people do not want a 'lifestyle' that does not include some 'junk'.

If you would've read my earlier post it said "eating junk food is fine, moderation is key"...

I think our definition of 'junk food' and 'moderation' may well be different.

That may be. I said nothing wrong in my first post and it seems like people just want to argue. I did not look at her diary, I went off of her stating she binged and saved her calories for junk and other snacks, that is it. I am not going to argue anymore because of what I said.

It's the whole 'lifestyle change' tone of your post that made me think we had a different definition..I was just making a comment, not actually arguing. *shrugs*

Ohh, I gotcha. My statement was directed to the guy who said it as long as she gets the right macros/micro nutrients has calories left over it doesn't matter what she eats after that. My winky faced tonal "lifestyle change" was all to him, not her, or you, or anyone else on here but him. Our ideas of food are probably different, and that is normal. I was just answering my personal opinion to her question...
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    If it fits into your macros then it wont do you any harm in terms of weight loss/gain, what ever you are aiming for. However, it is not the best pattern to practice on a frequent basis as you are more than likely controlling what you are eating more now than you have been before and probably more than you will be doing in the future. Thinking about the eating pattern you want to have once you are at your goal weight what most suits you/your way of life. Whatever that is I would recommend you try and replicate this on your way to your goal weight.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    I'm on the 'it doesn't matter what time' boat for this. Though like others have said it doesn't really seem like you are binging if you are staying within all of your goals. To me binging is caving in to cravings/boredom/stress/whatever then eating in abundance and having a hard time stopping/realizing what you are doing, which then puts you over your daily goals. For me it isn't about WHAT i eat when that happens it's the quantity. I don't have things like chips or cookies or anything in my house but a banana can turn into another, then an apple, then an orange, some almonds, some almond butter with another apple etc. Before you know it you are over goal, feeling out of control and stuffed (even if it's 'healthy' things). That's my version of binge >.<

If your schedule has you staying up late then compensate for that. For example my boyfriend doesn't get home from work till 8pm and if I never ate after 7pm I'd never get to eat with him :( .. we stay up later (probably till about 2am like you) and so we eat when he gets home and I usually have snack of some sort around midnight. Some days I get up early the next day and some days not (my schedule allows that, others may not). It works for us, if this works for you keep at it!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
    As far as I know, the laws of thermodynamics operate 24/7, they don't stop at a certain time of night.
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Dr Oz said that your body doesn't know what time it is, so it is a myth. Yes, of course, it's 'better' to eat the majority of your calories in the day because you can burn them off. But he said it's best to avoid late night eating mostly because no one's eating applesauce sitting on the couch watching tv...they're eating ice cream etc. I did weight watchers years ago and always ate a sweet thing just before bed. Always stayed within my Points, and always lost.

You're fine. Staying within your calorie range and snacking at night is leaps and bounds better than not tracking your calories at all. If you weren't tracking them, you'd still eat at night, right?
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    As far as I know, the laws of thermodynamics operate 24/7, they don't stop at a certain time of night.

Lol...yep!
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Think of it like fueling your car while on a road trip. As long as you get to your destination, does it matter when you gas up?
    I don't necessarily agree with this. If your daily limit is around -1400 then no its not really going to matter when you eat.. but if youre on a 2500+ plan and you're eating back your cals too.... you can flood your car by putting too much in at once I believe...

Although I dont believe in the dont eat after "this time rule" I do believe if i didnt eat anything all day or very little and i eat a box of ding dongs and a double whooper or my 2000+ daily cals before bed, it wont be beneficial.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Think of it like fueling your car while on a road trip. As long as you get to your destination, does it matter when you gas up?
    I don't necessarily agree with this. If your daily limit is around -1400 then no its not really going to matter when you eat.. but if youre on a 2500+ plan and you're eating back your cals too.... you can flood your car by putting too much in at once I believe...

Although I dont believe in the dont eat after "this time rule" I do believe if i didnt eat anything all day or very little and i eat a box of ding dongs and a double whooper or my 2000+ daily cals before bed, it wont be beneficial.

Assuming that you are under your TDEE by the same amount under the 2 examples - there is no difference. Using the same analogy, the 1,400 person will have a smaller tank than the 2,500 + exercise calories person - so assuming both are at the same deficit, there will be no flooding of engines.

In other words, the 1,400 calorie person at a 500 calorie deficit will be a compact, the 2,500 + exercise calorie person at a 500 calorie deficit will be a silverado.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member

Because if you don't do the lifestyle change & only try to "lose weight & look hot" - in the miracle that you actually DO get there, it'll probably only last 4-6 months. And then you'll have an ever harder time trying to "lose weight & look hot" again.

:laugh:
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    i have an idiotically busy job, so I graze during the day and top up my calories after dinner with nuts, cheese, avocado, my glass/es of wine and sometimes a wee crap food thing i fancy.

Usually I need to stop eating about an hour before bed simply coz 'don't I don't like going to bed feeling like i've just eaten.

i say eat when you feel like it, and remember that it's always going to be better than how you used to eat
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I eat pretty healthy during the day I guess. I use to be a binge eater. And I still get bad cravings at night. So I've been leaving calories so I can still binge on certain junk or snack foods. I never go over my calorie goal, but I hear its bad to eat before bed? Is this a myth? As long as I am in my goal I can eat when ever right?

yes if you're keeping it within your calorie goals you can eat at whatever time you like, and this is a really good strategy to avoid unplanned eating of junk and dealing with cravings.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

I find it entertaining that you always feel the need to comment on what I say lol.

Easy there Tigress. I have 3000+ posts. You have 100. I comment after a lot of people. I comment before a lot of people. I comment a lot. I comment. And if we're keeping count I think this is the 4th time in history that I've quoted you. I don't have it out for you.

Yet
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    The only negative to doing that is that carbs give you energy during the day but since you're eating at night it's just getting stored as fat.. You can notice a big different on the scale if you eat late one night and then not the next. I always have a harder time losing weight if i'm eating at night.

It only gets stored as fat if you have gone above your maintance calories... otherwise you are fine. You may see a gain the next morning but that is just due to undigested food within your system... not actual fat gain.

To the OP, it doesn't matter when you eat. Just ensure you don't go overboard.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Because if you don't do the lifestyle change & only try to "lose weight & look hot" - in the miracle that you actually DO get there, it'll probably only last 4-6 months. And then you'll have an ever harder time trying to "lose weight & look hot" again.

I can see why you believe this. But it's actually easier to maintain by doing it my way. Doing it my way I don't feel restricted. I don't feel guilt. I don't stress over occasional meals with family, friends or coworkers. I've learned how to eat foods that I enjoy in moderation and can eat like that the rest of my life. I can make gradual changes to my diet down the line if I choose.

OTOH, people that lose weight by eliminating things from their diet are known to gain the weight back and sometimes more once they add the restricted items back. And many times they fall off the Wagon before reaching goal because a "binge" or two left them so wracked with guilt that they just threw in the towel.
  • I ate two batches of French toast between 10pm-11pm. It hasn't made me fat yet.
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    I work until 8pm and by the time I sit down to have my snack, which I NEED to have a snack before bed its more like 930pm. I also feel I need a "junkie snack" if you know what I mean. I have learned to cut down my portion size and stay within my calorie range. I still might have ff pudding with whip cream. a brownie or peanut and fluff. Sometimes I do feel guilty but I am pretty hungry and don't want to go to bed starving.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162

Assuming that you are under your TDEE by the same amount under the 2 examples - there is no difference. Using the same analogy, the 1,400 person will have a smaller tank than the 2,500 + exercise calories person - so assuming both are at the same deficit, there will be no flooding of engines.

In other words, the 1,400 calorie person at a 500 calorie deficit will be a compact, the 2,500 + exercise calorie person at a 500 calorie deficit will be a silverado.
    I dont quite believe that. I dont think our bodies run on a linear 24 hour clock but a circular. Meaning with your example if my day starts at 7am and I go to bed at 9pm anything I eat rather it be 500 cals at 7am or 3000 cals at 9pm, or even 2000 cals if i wake up for a midnight snack.. just as long as all your cals for that day are eaten before that 7am you should be fine if it falls in your tdee or whatever... i dont necessarily agree with that..

I dont think simplistic analogies about cars and other things are suitable for a situation like this.. it isnt so cut and dry.. I think our bodies run on a 24 hour clock but circular meaning if my day starts at 7am and bed time is 9pm basically that's where my day should end in order for the calorie deficit to work... because lets say i was an insomniac with a calorie goal of 3500 from a linear 7am to 7am someone could consume 3500 but if at 5am they have a 2300 breakfast and then 2 hrs later at 7am the "next" day someone consumes 2500 and then waits till the end of the day and repeats.. i dont think anything will be lose or gained...

Basically i believe someone cant wake up 2hours before the next day and say i didnt meet my calorie goal i can still eat 2000 cals and then start their day, that 2000 cals will be tacted on to the new day and the only way it wouldnt be is if you gave your body enough time to process the cals before the next day begun.. which is the only reason why a person saving their cals before bed would see any results 500 or even 1000 processing overnight is fine... but 2500 2 hours before the next day begins heck no I dont believe our bodies work like that... I believe its a circular revolving 24 hours so when you put that 2500 in at 5am anything between 5am and 5am the next day counts as 24 hour period so technically you had 5500 cals that day instead of 3500... there is a process i dont believe just as long as its in a 24 hour period eat when and whatever you want your body needs to process everything....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    I personally think that the worst part about this would be the fact that you are not learning how to eat properly. You're doing good during the day then gorging yourself at night with junk (even if it meets the calories). There is a huge difference healthy snacks will do to your body compared to the junky ones, even if you are under your calorie goal and you may lose the weight now, but in the future you may revert back into old habits. Eating junk food is fine, but moderation is key. Good luck.
    80/20 rule applies here. If one takes in the correct amount of macro/micro nutrients needed in a day and still has calories left over, it really doesn't matter what you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Then you don't understand the 80/20 rule. And I'm glad I get a smile out every time I post credentials. At least a smile a day is better than none.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    The only negative to doing that is that carbs give you energy during the day but since you're eating at night it's just getting stored as fat..
    Myth. This is broscience at it's best.

IDEA Fitness member