Plateaued :(

2»

Replies

• angie13xx
    angie13xx Posts: 29 Member
    I started to realize all this "starvation mode" its a myth- personally!
    For example, think of people that had weight lose surgery and they eat very little amounts of food( cpl of table spoon of food per day) and they lose weight - if we dont lose weight its probably bcos we eat too much.

I have been on 1200 calories( sometimes i eat less sometimes more) for the past 5 weeks and the only times i was able to see a minus on the scales was when i was eating under 800 calories.When i eat 1200 the scales wont move at all. I dont go to gym but i usually burn calories by walking and day to day house chores.

Also the skinnier you get, less calories your body needs :(
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I had to eat more to get out of mine. I raised my calories to about 1500 during the week and about 1700 on the weekends. I exercise 5-6 days a week too. Weight started dropping off again.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    I started to diet back in August, it wasn't particularly healthy and was probably more starvation than anything, started at 84kgs and am now 75kgs... Lifestyle has completely changed since, as has my mindset. I'm now a regular in the gym 6 days a week, eat a good balanced diet of about 1200 per day. Since mid January I'm stuck at 75kgs... And have a further 10kgs to lose. Can anyone help me to come through this plateau?
    I know the usual advice : shake up diet and exercise routine, increase metabolism etc, but what actually works?

Well, you kind of answered you question...it all works. Also, make sure you are eating back your exercise calories. Or, if you don't record exercise calories...change you activity level from sedentary if your day-to-day is a desk job, and move it up 2 levels to account for the 6 times a week for the gym. This will mean that with exercise, you should eat that much. Although, I would check out BMR and RMR calculators for more accurate calories.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    My plateau started in November, and I think I just busted past it last week.

Just stick with it. And yes, mix it up with the exercise routine, but also mix it up with the nutrition too. Just as your body gets used to the exercise you're doing, it also gets used to what you're feeding it.

I'd also get an activity monitor that syncs with MFP. That way you should be able to get a chart that shows "calories in vs. calories out". It'll hopefully help give you enough data to keep you going. I have a Fitbit One, and I love it.

The plateau for me lasted about 3 months, and thankfully I pushed through it. Looking forward to next week's weigh-in now!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Having a higher calorie meal (cheat meal/day) once a week will keep metabolism high when you are eating such low calories during the week.

This isn't working for me... I also hear to increase my overall calorie intake that my body could be in "starvation mode" (doubt that). Does anyone know someone personally that has has success from raising their calorie intake? I'm too scared to risk a weight gain...

I have recently upped my cals... and I now net on average about 1400 .... I started this on 21st Jan, in my first 2 weeks I went up 2.6lbs .... then last weigh in (sat) I had lost 1lb, so Im still up by 1.6lbs ... but the scale has started moving in the right direction

I was originally on the 1200 cals and lost quite allot of weight, the reason I am eating more now is because my lifestyle has changed, I am much more active (due to refurbing my house) so I need the extra fuel :)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    I started to realize all this "starvation mode" its a myth- personally!
    For example, think of people that had weight lose surgery and they eat very little amounts of food( cpl of table spoon of food per day) and they lose weight - if we dont lose weight its probably bcos we eat too much.

I have been on 1200 calories( sometimes i eat less sometimes more) for the past 5 weeks and the only times i was able to see a minus on the scales was when i was eating under 800 calories.When i eat 1200 the scales wont move at all. I dont go to gym but i usually burn calories by walking and day to day house chores.

Also the skinnier you get, less calories your body needs :(
    So you've been doing this for 5 weeks and you don't exercise? It's not working for you and your planning to go lower? You should enlist some professional help because I don't think your on a healthy path.

The eat more to weigh less is specifically aimed at people that are exercising, especially intense exercise because those workouts need to be fueled. To much exercise with to few calories often leads to a stall that can be broken with more calories.

No matter how skinny you get your body isn't going to need less than 1000 calories a day. People on super low cal diets after surgery are being supervised by a physician and they don't do those ultra restrictive diets for extended periods of time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Maybe recalculate your MFP #s? Choose a 0.5 or 1lb loss instead of 2lbs a week and pick the correct activity level. Don't pick sedentary because you think you'll lose faster. And realize also, that MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back.

Or, If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/865230-resources-and-references

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Having a higher calorie meal (cheat meal/day) once a week will keep metabolism high when you are eating such low calories during the week.

This isn't working for me... I also hear to increase my overall calorie intake that my body could be in "starvation mode" (doubt that). Does anyone know someone personally that has has success from raising their calorie intake? I'm too scared to risk a weight gain...

Why do you doubt "starvation mode"? At the end of the day you are netting (calories eaten - burned from exercise) way below 1200 calories...the only people who are put on that type of diet are under very strict physician care and it is for a very short period of time. There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of pages here of people testifying to success by increasing their calorie intake when they were originally eating too little. Just do a search for the roadmap and you'll see what I mean.

It is common to see a slight bump in weight at first, but it is directly related to water and glycogen stores, not fat, and it will disappear as soon as it came.
  • Jess11Gold
    Jess11Gold Posts: 154 Member

Why do you doubt "starvation mode"? At the end of the day you are netting (calories eaten - burned from exercise) way below 1200 calories...the only people who are put on that type of diet are under very strict physician care and it is for a very short period of time. There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of pages here of people testifying to success by increasing their calorie intake when they were originally eating too little. Just do a search for the roadmap and you'll see what I mean.

It is common to see a slight bump in weight at first, but it is directly related to water and glycogen stores, not fat, and it will disappear as soon as it came.

Just thought that I would let y'all know that I took the advice, I started eating back about 50-75% of the calories burned... and guess what?! I lost 4 lbs in 5 days! I also increased cardio by about 30 min. I am officially in "one-derland" and have renewed motivation!