CONFUSED

Options
Am I just seeing things wrong? I'm still working things out on this site.

It seems to me that, for instance, if I do ten minutes on my elliptical trainer versus ten minutes on housework MFP puts the housework as more calories loss. But I sweat more doing the elliptical. Doesn't seem right to me. I'm confused by it. I mean if that is the case then I'll just do my housework lol.

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I find the calorie burned calculator on MFP a little off. I'd look up the exercises on multiple other websites to get the average calories burned or invest in a HRM.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I always go by what my HRM says. Best investment ever!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Stop logging 10 minutes of housework. That's not exercise.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options

QFT
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

This
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

yesjacknicholson.gif
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    I'm Guessing the reason housework is an option on here is for intense spring/deep cleaning, not a 10 minute run around with the hoover, hence why it gives you a decent burn. Don't log silly little things, they are already included I'm your activity level.
  • x_ZEST_x
    Options

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I log housework when I do it. There is an option for "light housework" which gives a very small burn.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.

The time is irrelevant.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I tried it. MFP gives 42 for 10 min vigorous cleaning and 147 for 10 min elliptical. That seems like a reasonable spread.
  • x_ZEST_x
    Options
    I find the calorie burned calculator on MFP a little off. I'd look up the exercises on multiple other websites to get the average calories burned or invest in a HRM.

That would make sense to me. I had noticed that some of my "less abled-bodied" friends had logged housework and as I'm moving house and packing and cleaning I thought perhaps I could also put it for exercise too. But I noticed the difference in the cals burnt.

Thanks for explaining. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

QFT

QFT x 2
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

There was no negativity. It was fact.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.
  • tarasheehan1
    Options

True! Unless you're down on your knees and hard at it all day !
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

True! Unless you're down on your knees and hard at it all day !
    So many places I could go with that.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I've always done the same house work whether I was 170 pounds or 300 pounds. I didn't get fat by not cleaning my house.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I always go by what my HRM says. Best investment ever!

^^This.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

There was no negativity. It was fact.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.

Putting words in the OP's mouth ("clearly", "obviously you didn't") doesn't establish you as a credible or likeable person. Just because you are right does not also automatically mean that you can't be negative.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I agree with the not logging housework mentality. HRM are good also. I think MFP's exercise numbers are not always really accurate. I don't worry a ton about them though, I just log my exercise and usually don't eat back all of my exercise calories, so I don't worry about it. If you want exact numbers, a HRM is definitely the way to go. But for me, their guesstimates have worked.