Turkey bacon vs. Pig bacon

Options

Replies

• Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I like both kinds (pork and turkey), but I eat the Turkey meat variety regularly. The stuff I eat is 30 cal per slice.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&productId=prod1090115
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I am Jewish, so bacon is out for me. But I have tried turkey bacon and definitely not a fan. However, we recently found chicken bacon and prefer it. It cooks up more like real bacon (crispier).

Chicken bacon? OOO that sounds good what is the brand?
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Gut reaction was "Pig bacon? EW!"... then i was like.. wait.. Pig bacon is bacon.

things-that-blew-your-mind-when-you-were-a-kid-1-30991-1346448555-3_big.jpg
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Your mileage may vary by brand and you have have other health concerns beyond calories, but speaking strictly from a calorie stand point the difference between regular bacon and turkey bacon isn't really that big. The bacon I buy lists a serving as 80 calories for 2 slices. The turkey bacons I occasionally buy generally seem to be between 25-35 calories per slice. That's really not that big of a difference unless you're eating 20 slices at a time.
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    I eat two slices of center cut, 30% reduced fat bacon almost daily for breakfast. Low cals and carbs, and with a boiled egg, it does hold me over well until lunchtime.

Biggest issue I have with breakfast is what I really like I shouldn't be eating often (sausage gravy over home-made buttermilk biscuits ... my southern friends on here know what I'm talking about) - so I just try to stick with something filing so I don't get hungry mid morning and start making poor choices.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If I ate pork, I would eat regular bacon. I eat turkey bacon kind of because, if I want "bacon," it's my only option. The one I buy (PC Blue Menu brand) doesn't have mechanically separated meat, but most -- even the big brands -- do.

But yeah, if you're not opposed to eating pork, go for the real deal.
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of turkey bacon better.
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My family eats Godshall's Turkey Bacon, 1 slice is 50 calories, 3g fat, 210mg sodium. It's made from turkey thigh meat, and it tastes very good. It's sliced thick like regular bacon and it doesn't shrink when cooked. I've tried a lot of other brands, they were just ok tasting and their texture didn't feel like bacon. Just search for "Godshall's Turkey Bacon" and you will find their website, I believe you can order straight from them or I buy mine from Sam's Club.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My youngest son (16) like turkey bacon better. But not Jenni-O. It makes him choke. Me, too. It always splinters in our throats.
    My youngest has issues withering. He,s never liked any pork and says it makes his mouth feel funny. Once it made his throat 'feel weird' and he hacked it up. So we avoid it.

I jus don,t like the taste of pork. But I do like piggy bacon!
  • LoveasaurusRex
    LoveasaurusRex Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I honestly never thought abut it.

o.O

I need to switch to center cut.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is not bacon.

I avoid bacon most of the time, because I love it. I can easily turn a pound of bacon into one BLT. It's one of those things I haven't mastered portion control on yet. :sad:
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    turkey bacon is soooo processed, better to stick with the regular
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    It's apples and oranges to me.Two different things.Turkey bacon does not cure me of a true craving for regular bacon
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Gut reaction was "Pig bacon? EW!"... then i was like.. wait.. Pig bacon is bacon.

^ I lol'd at that!

I like both, I try to stick to turkey bacon just because, as someone else said, I have a problem with portion control when it comes to real bacon.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    my pet Pot Belly Pig prefers that i eat turkey bacon...
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    bacon_zpsc77a2ff9.jpg
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like using Kirkland extra lean ham cut in strips and cooked on a hot griddle until its crisp and has that bacon flavor and a lot less calories as low or lower than turkey bacon with the real pork flavor... because it is pork!
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    both have their places at my dinner table, but gun to my head decision, oink bacon gets the nod.

My bacon of choice is Gwaltney 40% less fat bacon, a serving is 3 pieces at a meager 60 calories. Love it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is disgusting. It's a crime to even call it bacon.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of turkey bacon better.

How many times did you have to repeat that phrase before you believed it? ;-)