To eat egg yolks or not?!

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am against chicken abortions - i dont believe in eating eggs

Psst: It's an unfertilized egg, so it's not an abortion. It's more like what we women do every month. :laugh:
    Ours are fertilized, we have roosters. But when an egg is laid the embryo is a bunch of undifferentiated cells. It's not like it has organs or a nervous system or feelings.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Eat them! Fat is good for you. Try not to go over 70g per day but eating fat will not make you fat, too many carbs will! X
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Eat them. They're the things that give eggs flavor and they are a nutritional powerhouse.

QFT

They're the best bit!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them because they taste gross.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    There are more vitamins in the yolks I eat them, yum.
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    eat the whole eggs! tasty! :D
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolk!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I often eat poached eggs for breakfast or sometimes lunch. When my personal trainer had a look through my food diary he suggested cutting out one of the yolks, as I only have a few more lbs left to lose now, and he thought it might help.

So now I just poach 3 eggs, eat 1 yolk, and give the other yolks to my 2 children! They're 1 and 3 and don't really like the white. So nothing is wasted!

He told me to replace the fat with things like nuts and seeds, and to aim for 35-40g of fat a day.
  • rachelgoutos
    Options

2 whites 1 yolk :happy:

I do this too when I make egg salad, mix it up for color, consistency and the nutrients yet not too much cholesterol along with the other veggies I add in for crunch :happy:
  • Beastx10
    Options
    Eat the yolks.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. A large egg has only about 75 calories, and it loaded with good stuff. Just don't eat dozens every week.

I can get through about 30 in a week sometimes. I've eaten nine or more in one day before now. I'm going through a phase of eating less egg currently, I've only eaten 3 today.

I used to separate the yolks and eat things like egg white omelets but these days it's too much hassle plus egg yolks are full of healthy fats and fat soluble vitamins. One egg is just 75 cals. Egg white on its own is a good way to bump up your protein levels without "spending" too many calories, but unless I'm cutting and I'm close to running out of calories but still haven't eaten enough protein, it's not worth taking out the yolks. Better meal planning helps avoid the situation where 3 egg yolks would stop me from hitting my macros.
  • kitoi
    kitoi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks.

Yolks are the best part
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I always eat the egg yolks, otherwise I'd be wasting food.

This.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I often eat poached eggs for breakfast or sometimes lunch. When my personal trainer had a look through my food diary he suggested cutting out one of the yolks, as I only have a few more lbs left to lose now, and he thought it might help.

So now I just poach 3 eggs, eat 1 yolk, and give the other yolks to my 2 children! They're 1 and 3 and don't really like the white. So nothing is wasted!

He told me to replace the fat with things like nuts and seeds, and to aim for 35-40g of fat a day.

Nuts are fat..
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    That is not an "abortion". it was never going to be a chick. What is more correct term would be a chicken's period. Gross, but thats what it is...

As for the yolks, eat them. There are micronutrients that work together, not apart.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    see my post above. - Not a chicken abortion - it's a chicken period.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    For the love of god EAT THE YOLK!

It's full of essential fatty acids and micronutrients that you need.

And yes, it's a chicken's period not it's abortion.

There's grosser things you could eat.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    For the love of god EAT THE YOLK!

It's full of essential fatty acids and micronutrients that you need.

And yes, it's a chicken's period not it's abortion.

There's grosser things you could eat.

Much grosser things! I'm going to have a chicken period right now. All this talk made me hungry!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am starting to eat whole eggs - yolks and whites. The USDA has been feeding us a crock for most of our lives about how fat causes heart disease.

Turns out fat is not the enemy.

From Forbes: researchers recently discovered lost data from a 40-year-old study on heart disease, analyzed the lost data, and discovered … wait for it … the animal fats we’ve been consuming for hundreds of thousands of years appear to be better for our health than the chemically extracted vegetable oils we’ve only been consuming for the past 100 years.

Or check out science writer Tom Noughton's site Fat Head: The Movie. He produced a documentary on fat findings.

^^^ My thoughts exactly. I have been losing for the last few weeks and I eat at least one egg per day. I do try to get either real pastured eggs or Omega 3 enriched eggs.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

As other's have pointed out they're usually not fertilized,. Also don't you need a uterus for one? Don't think you can D&C a chicken. The image of a chicken in stirrups has me giggling now though.

Oh right yolks. I figure if I pay for 4 bucks a dozen for pastured eggs it would be fiscally irresponsible for me to not eat them. Also vitamins etc.