Kettle-bells...are they worth the purchase?

Options
Just want to know if they are worth the money/space? I have the JM shred with weights and she uses the kettle-bell but I don't have one. I was thinking of doing this video after I'm done ripped in 30 (will be starting that in a couple weeks...almost done 30DS). So do I really need the kettle-bell for her workout and are they worth investing money/space into? Do they work well for a good strength exercise? I don't know a lot about them.

Replies

• fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    anyone?...Hello...is this thing on? *tap tap tap* :tongue:
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love kettle bells. the majority of my work outs are with them. as far as needing them with JM dvd's, I am not sure. But as far as getting a great workout at home, I think KBs are the way to go.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love Kettlebells. There are no classes around here, but I found a very good vid on Amazon, Lauren Brookes--very good, really details the moves so you don't hurt yourself, that is important.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Kettle Bells are absolutely worth it!! I have been working with them off and on for a couple years and at one point they helped me lose 30 lbs in a short time. It's a Great workout! They get me really sore, especially in the thighs when i use my workout dvd's that came with my KB. LOVE THEM KB'S:heart:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially if used correctly. Many people make the mistake of buying tiny kettlebells (5-8lbs) and using them like dumbbells. This is, frankly, pointless.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I love my kettle bell. They are lot easier to use for some really great exercise that a dumbbell turned on its side. If you actually use it, it is absolutely worth the price.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just want to know if they are worth the money/space? I have the JM shred with weights and she uses the kettle-bell but I don't have one. I was thinking of doing this video after I'm done ripped in 30 (will be starting that in a couple weeks...almost done 30DS). So do I really need the kettle-bell for her workout and are they worth investing money/space into? Do they work well for a good strength exercise? I don't know a lot about them.

Def worth the money...they are HUGE here at the gym I work out with our trainers.....VERY effective IF you use them correctly. Several actual kettlebell DVDs, tho you can also utube kettlebell workouts that are very effective.....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    For home use, I would go with something a little more versatile. But it really comes down to your fitness goals and what sort of training you will be doing.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Yes!! I got one for christmas and my muscles are showing more than ever!! YouTube has a ton of videos too!
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A plastic milk container filled with sand is a good alternative until you can get a kettle bell.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I use them at my gym

It think a two handed kettle bell swing is a fantastic way to work your posterior chain in a functional way.

If it were my $ I would buy a single heavy kettle bell that could be used for swings / goblit sqats. Otherwise I would invest my money in a good set of adjustable dumbells.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A plastic milk container filled with sand is a good alternative until you can get a kettle bell.

Genius! I'm here for info... no valuable input yet
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    can't recommend them enough. My profile picture says it all...Its my favorite piece of workout equipment. The kettlebell swing is among the best fat burning exercises you can do. Moreover it is great for fixing muscle imbalances, and for building a very strong and athletic posterior chain.
  • shartso
    Options
    They can whip you into shape in no time, but please make sure that you use the correct form. They are not cheap but I would not trade them. The two handed swing, squat, and get up are a good start.

Good Luck!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially if used correctly. Many people make the mistake of buying tiny kettlebells (5-8lbs) and using them like dumbbells. This is, frankly, pointless.

What would you recommend as a good weight for someone who has never used them? In the JM video her kettle ball has removable weights so she can change the weight of it without having a bunch of individual ones. I kinda like that idea but I'm guessing they're pricey.
    For home use, I would go with something a little more versatile. But it really comes down to your fitness goals and what sort of training you will be doing.

Versatile as in? I'd like to get a little more into the weights style of exercises but I don't have a lot of room to store things. Kettle bells can be stored fairly easily when not in use.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are great, but they are expensive and not as versatile as some claim. I have a 20 pounder I use for cardio circuits and a 40 pounder that quickly became too light for strength work.

(And a milk jug is not an adequate substitute. )
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

Genius! I'm here for info... no valuable input yet

I think a bunch of people saying that they are worth the purchase in valubale information.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebell workouts! They are good for strength training and they get your heart rate going. What is your concern about space? They take up practically no room, and you don't need a lot of space to do the workouts- just enough to do a proper swing.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

I don't think this would work very well. You The handle isn't big enough to grip with two hands, the weight will be off center, and you could maybe get 7lbs of weight into the jug.

Once you get used to the form you are going to be up to 30-50lbs in your swing pretty quickly
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

I don't think this would work very well. You The handle isn't big enough to grip with two hands, the weight will be off center, and you could maybe get 7lbs of weight into the jug.

Once you get used to the form you are going to be up to 30-50lbs in your swing pretty quickly

Agree. The weight being off center is major.