Kettle-bells...are they worth the purchase?

Options

Replies

• JSheehy1965
    Options
    I love my kettlebells. Got 10/15/20/25lbs for Christmas and started using them with workouts my sister sent me (she's a fitness instructor) . Started kettlebell classes today and realised I'm stronger than I thought I was with deadlifts (80lb) and swings (35lb) and possibly need to purchase a couple of MUCH heavier ones. But make sure you are using them correctly with good form. Hope you enjoy them!
  • Chyll88
    Chyll88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Love kettlebells and totally worth it!!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Very much so. If you're planning on doing ACTUAL kettlebell specific exercises, don't go less than 15 lbs to start out. The only exercises where you will need anything lighter are exercises adapted from regular dumbbell training. RKC certified instructors recommend beginning women start out with 8kg (about 18 lbs) MINIMUM because too low of a weight and the hamstrings won't engage during swings which can lead to injury. DO NOT do any JM kettlebell videos as they WILL get you injured because the form she illustrates is incorrect and dangerous.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially if used correctly. Many people make the mistake of buying tiny kettlebells (5-8lbs) and using them like dumbbells. This is, frankly, pointless.

What would you recommend as a good weight for someone who has never used them? In the JM video her kettle ball has removable weights so she can change the weight of it without having a bunch of individual ones. I kinda like that idea but I'm guessing they're pricey.
    For home use, I would go with something a little more versatile. But it really comes down to your fitness goals and what sort of training you will be doing.

Versatile as in? I'd like to get a little more into the weights style of exercises but I don't have a lot of room to store things. Kettle bells can be stored fairly easily when not in use.

Again, depends on goals. For me, my focus is strength training, so I get a lot more mileage out of a pair of adjustable dumbbells and an olympic weight set. Kettlebells would give a great metabolic conditioning sort of workout, but I can get that from jumping rope, sprinting, burpees, barbell complexes, dumbbell swings, etc.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hhhmmm...maybe I'll put them on my b-day list. How pricey is pricey for decent kettle bells? Guessing the heavier they are the more they cost...just like with anything.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Hhhmmm...maybe I'll put them on my b-day list. How pricey is pricey for decent kettle bells? Guessing the heavier they are the more they cost...just like with anything.

I think they are about $1 a pound.
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Very much so. If you're planning on doing ACTUAL kettlebell specific exercises, don't go less than 15 lbs to start out. The only exercises where you will need anything lighter are exercises adapted from regular dumbbell training. RKC certified instructors recommend beginning women start out with 8kg (about 18 lbs) MINIMUM because too low of a weight and the hamstrings won't engage during swings which can lead to injury. DO NOT do any JM kettlebell videos as they WILL get you injured because the form she illustrates is incorrect and dangerous.

Really? that's interesting, what is wrong about her form?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    also just to throw this out there, Powerblock makes an adjustable kettlebell.
    http://www.powerblock.com/Kettleblocks.php
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

What would you recommend as a good weight for someone who has never used them? In the JM video her kettle ball has removable weights so she can change the weight of it without having a bunch of individual ones. I kinda like that idea but I'm guessing they're pricey.

How much can you currently squat / dead lift?

I would maybe start with an 18-20lb (but expect to outgrow this quickly on your swings)

I swing 70lb kettle bell, and I don't have an impressive deadlift by any means
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOVE THEM
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    Yes, especially if used correctly. Many people make the mistake of buying tiny kettlebells (5-8lbs) and using them like dumbbells. This is, frankly, pointless.

For home use, I would go with something a little more versatile. But it really comes down to your fitness goals and what sort of training you will be doing.

Versatile as in? I'd like to get a little more into the weights style of exercises but I don't have a lot of room to store things. Kettle bells can be stored fairly easily when not in use.

Again, depends on goals. For me, my focus is strength training, so I get a lot more mileage out of a pair of adjustable dumbbells and an olympic weight set. Kettlebells would give a great metabolic conditioning sort of workout, but I can get that from jumping rope, sprinting, burpees, barbell complexes, dumbbell swings, etc.

My goal is to strengthen my body and build a little bit of muscle. I don't really have room for a weight set right now.
  • fruitloop2
    Options

How much can you currently squat / dead lift?

I would maybe start with an 18-20lb (but expect to outgrow this quickly on your swings)

I swing 70lb kettle bell, and I don't have an impressive deadlift by any means

I have no idea, I've never done them .
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    also just to throw this out there, Powerblock makes an adjustable kettlebell.
    http://www.powerblock.com/Kettleblocks.php

Those are kind of like the ones in her video except hers were round. That's the kind I think I'd like to get.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

A little more than that. Check Amazon for the best prices - CAP seems to be the most affordable.
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love mine. Please do not buy the JM dvd. It is not worth the money. There are better ones on YouTube for free.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

A little more than that. Check Amazon for the best prices - CAP seems to be the most affordable.

My first one was $18 total with tax for a $15 lb one. I didn't buy my other ones, but that is about a $1 a lb. Wouldn't shipping on Amazon be crazy because of the weight??
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

My first one was $18 total with tax for a $15 lb one. I didn't buy my other ones, but that is about a $1 a lb. Wouldn't shipping on Amazon be crazy because of the weight??

I think I paid $50 for a 40 pounder, so $1.25 a pound. Shipping was free.
  • CrystalRenee2013
    CrystalRenee2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had watched a video on YouTube & thought maybe I should buy a Kettle-Bell but once I seen what & how heavy they are I decided it wasn't worth it. I was born with a physical disability & while watching the videos I thought maybe I could use it for some of the exercises shown but when looking at them I knew I couldn't. Go to where they have them & try it out in the store before purchasing it.
  • pmhandlo11
    pmhandlo11 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just started using mine with the DVD it came with...I love it. I bought it at Walmart brand is Danskin and they have all different weights. I started with the 8lbs. The dvd is great for beginners new to kettlebells. Gin Miller is the girl on the DVD and she really shows you how to do it without throwing your back out or hurting yourself!! Good Luck!!
  • fruitloop2
    Options
    I love mine. Please do not buy the JM dvd. It is not worth the money. There are better ones on YouTube for free.

Well, I didn't pay for the video but why do you say it's a waste of maney? Just curious...trying to get all the facts, info, etc. before investing in something like this.