WOMEN - Prolonged period

2»

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Have you ever had ovarian cysts? I had a 6 week period when I was 18, and was diagnosed with cysts. These can be normal or abnormal. Have you thought about going to a women's clinic? They'll see you with or without insurance, and sometimes have a sliding pay scale. Your health is important enough to fight a broken system for.

Oops - I just saw that a couple of other people suggested PP. That's the same kind of thing.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Wow I can't believe a doctor would just say that's normal. What a terrible doctor. Let's see him have to deal with something like that... I hope you can get a second opinion through PP or somewhere else...
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    My niece, 21, had the arm implant and she was having problems with heavy too... they took hers out... but, is now pregnant!!!(didn't intend to be)
  • See a gynocologist, not just a regular M.D. (if you haven't already). That happened to me too, and I let it go on for months, getting very anemic, before seeing someone. She was able to fix the issue with adjusting my birth control medication, and gave me other options as well. If your doc isn't taking it seriously, see another doctor - it can get quite serious, if left on its own.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    If your dr says not to worry, and refuses to give you an exam - find a new dr. I know, easier said than done, but you and your mental well being should be the drs priority. Show em the door. *I* dont think 6 weeks is normal. Heck I start freaking out if I hit day 7.

Good luck to you.

:flowerforyou:
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Well.. if you aren't already you should be trying to eat more iron and keep it up. I have had an irregular period all my life. After really long stretches (longest period of time 1 1/2 years) I usually have an insanely long period. For example last year my 2nd period of the year (in October) lasted for two months.
    Technically I have PCOS... but the small reason is hormones. My hormones make it a problem. I'm lucky that the one I'm having has only lasted for 3 weeks and seems to be tapering off.
    Also.. what has helped things slow down is taking it pretty easy to let things clot up. Have you notices yourself passing clots?

The only time you should really worry (especially if your doc says not to worry right now) is if you keep passing clots and bright red blood, which is new blood. You should be shedding a lot of dark brown and smelly blood.. right?

Or I could be way off. Good luck!