Vitamin D Deficiency

Options
2»

Replies

• mjinspired
    Options
    Do you need more Magnesium than you get from food? It's in lots of foods, and in multivitamins. Bran, herbs, dark chocolate, almonds, edamame, peanut butter, yogurt, avocados, bananas, milk, spinach, corn, and a lot of other things. So, if you're eating those things regularly do you actually need a magnesium supplement? Does the Vit D and the Magnesium have to be taken together to be effective? Or can it acculmulate?

I think we all can use a supplement in magnesium. The foods that are high in magnesium are usually the ones we rarely eat and the soil is also very deficient in magnesium, so it's really hard to tell if we are getting enough through our diet. But research shows, about 80% is deficient. Also, magnesium can be easily lost through stress, excess sweating, etc, also if you drink a lot of caffeine. So it does not hurt to supplement. If your body has too much it will let you know. It helps to regulate the digestive system, so that you go regularly and if your stool is runny you know your taking too much and reduce the dosage. I take Natural Vitality Natural Calm. You can find it on amazon and read the amazing reviews. Magnesium is not only good for relaxing muscles, but it helps in creating energy to our cells, it helps to stabilize serotonin levels in the brain, helping with anxiety and depression as well. Dr. Carolyn Dean has a book call Magnesium, The Miracle Supplement. It's really a great read. I've noticed such a huge difference in my overall health after taking it. This article might be helpful: http://bit.ly/XaEiVU
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I supplement my vitamin D and get about 7,000 IU's a day. Last time I got my blood work done my levels were "high" but the doctor wasn't concerned since winter was approaching. Vitamin D is essential for a LOT of things like fighting off things like the flu and other colds. It's been proven that ailments such as MS are not as prevalent in places where there is an abundance of sun such as in the Caribbean however it runs rampant in the Northern areas where the sun isn't as strong and you're inside for at least 6 months during the winter.

Also Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I buy MagOx through Walmart. It's cheap and the dose is nice and high. Two pills per day usually work.

The other vitamin that's good to take if you're weight lifting is Sulfur - also known as MSM. I've noticed that it makes a big difference for weight lifting and getting over muscle pain.

Don't forget Potassium....night cramps sometimes are a symptom of a deficiency in it. I take a few pills and notice a difference in days usually.

Monica
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Go outside and play! Seriously, sun triggers our vitamin d production, so play ball!

Sadly I fry whenever I am out in the sun. If I'm not coveted up and smoothered in sunblock I will be bright red and blistered in under 15. Which is why I am low n vitamin D.

I've been taking prescription strength vitamin D for about a year and a half now and huge difference in my energy.

Oh honey, I have the same problem. Redhead and fair here. But even with SPF 5000, a bit still sneaks in and you r body still produces Vitamin D. And from Spring to cold weather, I am outside easily 20+ hours a week.

Completely unrelated, if I wear SPF 50 all summer, my ivory skin will actually TAN. Weird. Like tiny little eeks of sun over time will cause color.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Do you need more Magnesium than you get from food? It's in lots of foods, and in multivitamins. Bran, herbs, dark chocolate, almonds, edamame, peanut butter, yogurt, avocados, bananas, milk, spinach, corn, and a lot of other things. So, if you're eating those things regularly do you actually need a magnesium supplement? Does the Vit D and the Magnesium have to be taken together to be effective? Or can it acculmulate?

The problem with dietary magnesium is there's no real way to know how much you're getting. The mag content in food relies on magnesium coming from the soil, and there's been a chronic soil magnesium depletion problem in recent agrigultural history. If you prefer not to supplement with pills, Magnesium can also be absorbed through the skin in an epsom salt bath- it's what makes it so relaxing and good for muscle aches !
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Interesting facts about Magnesium. Thanks you guys.