Healthy Recipes - FAIL!

Options

Replies

• terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    1. Shiritaki Noodles are DISGUSTING. They have the consistency of a pencil eraser and they are completely unedible. I tried frying, baking, everything but no, just no. Please save your money.

2. Spaghetti Squash...disgusting. Not exaggerating when I say that I puked.

3. Cauliflower with pizza is SO GOOD. I HATE vegetables but I loved these. They don't even taste like cauliflower, they just taste like a crumbly, soft bread. please try it..

We love shiratake noodles especially in stir fry but I have to br really careful how much soy I eat cuz it interferes with thyro meds. We love spaghetti squash with a heaping spoonful of my fabulous sc on it.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I actually can't think of anything. I guess I've been cooking long enough to know instinctively when a "healthy" recipe is going to be terrible, and I also have been cooking healthier food long enough that I probably prefer weird stuff the average person wouldn't touch.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Smartbeat 10 calorie mayo was recommended to me by a real life friend. Tried it today in a salad dressing and it was not good. Strange after taste. There are some sacrifices that I won't make and bad taste is one. I would rather eat less of food I like than a truck load of a food that is terrible.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Box of brownie mix + can of pumpkin =rubbery playdough.......
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I tried www.protienpow.com (Anna) - her "red" velvet protein bar. EPIC EPIC EPIC FAIL!!!!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    raw cookie dough "dip" using chickpeas...I dam well shoulda known better...tasted like...chickpeas and chocolate chips...BLECH!!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Tofu in peanut sauce using pb2. It ended up way too salty, the tofu was all wrong and either the pb2 was rancid or it was just all bad. I'm not entirely sure.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I was really disappointed in Almond Butter... Boo! I wanted to like it!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Smartbeat 10 calorie mayo was recommended to me by a real life friend. Tried it today in a salad dressing and it was not good. Strange after taste. There are some sacrifices that I won't make and bad taste is one. I would rather eat less of food I like than a truck load of a food that is terrible.

AMEN x10
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Avocado chocolate pudding. We have an avocado tree and avocados coming out our ears, I was trying anything--but don't do it! Blech!
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Box of brownie mix + can of pumpkin =rubbery playdough.......

^ tried it with chocolate cupcakes... they taste okay... definitely do not look like cupcakes
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Avocado chocolate pudding. We have an avocado tree and avocados coming out our ears, I was trying anything--but don't do it! Blech!

Gotta disagree on that - this stuff's fantastic.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was very disappointed in the chunky monkey cookies that are so bumped. I thought they were terrible and usually I'll eat just about anything I make myself. A few bites and I trashed them, just to stop thinking about the wasted ingredients and effort. But as you can probably tell, I'm still pissed. Chunkey monkey = bad!
  • alijaxfp
    alijaxfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    "Healthy Fried Chicken" that wasn't fried but battered in hummus and baked. I like hummus but this was the worst chicken I have ever had. It wasn't crispy like it said it would be. It was soggy and terrible.

OH, I tried that too!! I won't trust a RD recipe for a long time. It was awful!!
  • alijaxfp
    alijaxfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    raw cookie dough "dip" using chickpeas...I dam well shoulda known better...tasted like...chickpeas and chocolate chips...BLECH!!

This made me laugh so hard! I haven't tried any chickpea recipes yet, now I don't think I ever will!
  • EveryNameWasTaken
    Options
    I made this bubble up enchillada bake, with ground turkey, IT was horrible no flavor the topping tasted like rubber with enchillada sauce...lol
  • EveryNameWasTaken
    Options

chickpeas and choc chips should not be in the same sentence....
    LOL
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Quinoa....everyone tells me how delicious it is.

I tried it, three times, each time cooking it the way someone else told me was delicious.

No. It is not delicious. It is tasteless and weird textured.

My husband requested that I stop making it, because, in his words "there is not enough butter in the world to make THAT taste like food...even bacon won't help".

I'm an experienced cook. People love my food, but this is one thing, I cannot cook in a way that is palatable at all.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I tried a bunch of different homemade protein bars (many by Dashing Dish) and they were disgusting. There were some chocolate muffins that were great the first time I made them but the next two times were inedible, even though I couldn't figure out how I had done anything different. I also tried some chickpea brownies that someone here said "changed her life" and they were gross. That being said, I do have a muffin recipe that I have adapted and make all the time. Love it and so do the kids!

*1 c whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
    *1/4 c wheat germ
    *1/4 c flax meal
    *1/2 cup of carrot puree
    *1/2 cup of another puree (you can vary the purees as long as there is 1 cup--sweet potato, pumpkin, squash, etc)
    *2-3 mashed bananas
    *1 cup of butter (I do 1/2 c butter and 1/2 c applesauce)
    *1 tsp baking powder
    *1 tsp salt
    *1 tsp vanilla
    *1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    *2 eggs (next time I am going to try using 1/3c water with 1 T chia seeds to replace one egg)
    *1/2 c brown sugar

Cream the brown sugar with the butter. Add purees, bananas and eggs. Mix dry ingredients and add to mixture until blended. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes clean. 375degrees. They are very moist and yummy! I have also experimented with adding apple chunks, cranberries and cinnamon (instead of pumpkin pie spice) as well as adding blueberries and cinnamon.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Fried Rice is amazing. My kids did not know it was cauliflower...Said oh, mom...this Chinese Food is so good and they gobbled it right up...Grated Cauliflower,scrambled egg, bean sprouts, scallions, ginger, garlic, a little bit of low sodium soy, and a drop or two of sesame oil...yum! Oh yea and a tiny bit of EVOO to sautee ginger,garlic and whites of scallions.

That sounds delish! I will try it.